Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times

Advertisements

i don't want to meet anyone - people from the internet are crazy

But I'll hang out in here while sipping my Barnies Cookies & cream freezer.

Right now, I'm sitting by the pool in Singer Island, FL pretending to be doing work but I'm just sitting by the pool.

Last edited by nat_at772; 07-22-2009 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 12:55 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
The OP and I do finally agree on something: I do love me some Depeche Mode

I have to say that this thread is a breath of fresh air. It's great getting to 'know' my fellow posters better.
My son is stationed at Ft. Bragg and he and his wife have a lovely home about 45 minutes from the base, so, I am familiar with the area between Raleigh and Fayetteville. I don't get east often - much prefer the dry heat of my new desert hometown - but, I do love the way that part of NC smells. The humidity about kills me though.
Anyway, right now, I am enjoying the view of the Robledo mountains from my home office window while finishing up my second, no, probably third, cup of Cafe Le Llave and counting the hours until tonight's installment of "Torchwood: Children of Earth."

Old 07-22-2009, 01:03 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Whoa Domer, you're scaring me. Never came across a "rabid" gardner before. Must be pretty intense. So, you're an Indiana girl are you. That's cool. And hey, I wouldn't worry about being called out. I guess it just means you have your own opinions and don't care what others think about it. I get attacked on occasion, but I do pretty well on the defense. And besides, I really try to play things as fairly as possible while discussing the issues. Hope the salsa turns out well. Are you going for hot or mild? Good friend of mine makes salsa every year, but damn that stuff is ridiculously spicy. I'm more of a "medium" guy myself. Just enough kick without needing a gallon of water.
A sip of milk will actually do better with even the spiciest foods than that gallon of water. Don't know why - I only know it works! My late husband was one who really liked spicy hot foods and was willing to try almost anything. We once got a dish called hunan beef from a Chinese take out restaurant. I tried to tell him what the guy at the restaurant had told me - DO NOT BITE INTO THE TINY PEPPERS! I have no idea what those peppers were (not much bigger than a celery seed) but my spice loving husband turned beet red and had to go looking for milk before he could even THINK of eating anything else! With whatever pepper they used in that dish, it took him two full glasses of milk before his tongue stopped burning!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:17 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Milk dilutes the chemicals in food that makes it spicy ... capsaisin or something like that. Water makes the particles spread all over your mouth. Dairy dilutes on the spot.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:55 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Hey, I'm making some salsa tonight. Too bad I get my veggies from the grocery store & not my nonexistent backyard.
Just whipped it up ... never tried making salsa before ... unfortunately, I cut up 2 jalapenos and then itched my nose .... owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

I put some wasabi powder in it too ... c'est si bon! Muy bueno!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:04 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,561,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Just whipped it up ... never tried making salsa before ... unfortunately, I cut up 2 jalapenos and then itched my nose .... owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

I put some wasabi powder in it too ... c'est si bon! Muy bueno!
Pain! Do you know how often I have cut up jalapenos & then the next day melt my eyeballs off when I stick my contacts in? Yes, the next day even after washing my hands vigorously, coating my fingers w/oil while cutting the peppers. It's hopeless. I had to buy a new box of contacts once because I completely destroyed like 3 pairs of contacts after a pepper incident.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,257,166 times
Quote:
Pain! Do you know how often I have cut up jalapenos & then the next day melt my eyeballs off when I stick my contacts in? Yes, the next day even after washing my hands vigorously, coating my fingers w/oil while cutting the peppers. It's hopeless. I had to buy a new box of contacts once because I completely destroyed like 3 pairs of contacts after a pepper incident.
I have heard others say just what you said here. I am very glad that my wife can't stand jalapenos so won't use them.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:17 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,137 times
Quote:

That's bad but I have something even worse.

A roommate of mine ate some hot wings one night. A little later on he and his girlfriend were getting a little frisky. I'll let you imagine why she suddenly had to stop and run to the shower.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:21 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,076,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
just wanted to start a thread for us all to relax. sometimes the debate gets a bit heated in the forums, and this is a place to chill. it's the coffee lounge. also, this might be a good tread to post meetups or the like. I'll start the conversation. I live in coastal NC, and I would love to buy one of our fellow posters a cup of coffee!!! leave the partisan garbage out the door. we're all humans.
Good thread Final

I used to haul cattle out of the eastern side of S.C. and probably not TO far from where you live....I hauled them from there to Texas and Nebraska and I really liked the Carolinas.I was down there at least once a week for awhile.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:23 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
That's bad but I have something even worse.

A roommate of mine ate some hot wings one night. A little later on he and his girlfriend were getting a little frisky. I'll let you imagine why she suddenly had to stop and run to the shower.
LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies