Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:21 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times

Advertisements

I have dial up and no sound card.

The national news doesn't cover all of the murders that happen every day. Without any other information, there is no reason why this one is special. I also worked over 10 years with major newspapers and I know a LOT of stuff never gets in the local news, let alone the national news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 01:46 AM

The last murder in Los Angeles that I remember making the news (maybe only locally) was a woman found rolled up in a rug on fire on the sidewalk in the middle of the day in a wealthy part of town. Turned out to be a young black woman. I don't know if they found the killer or not.

Before that, I remember Phil Spector's "date."

Around here, it has to be a serial killers fifth+ murder, someone famous, or something really bizarre. Burning people on busy streets in the middle of the day fits the bizarre scenario. Some gang violence also makes the papers but not a whole lot of it.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:52 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
But it's not around "here," sweet pea. No offense, but this is Knoxville.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:17 AM

I found the story posted on another thread.

Maybe it's a bizarre crime for Knoxville but it sure wouldn't make the news in LA. So many crimes don't make the LA Times that the LA Times now has an internet blog for murders that happen during the week.

You asked about the "national media," not the Knoxville newspapers and I see it made the newspapers there. It was not a big enough story for the national media. It had nothing to do with the races of the people involved.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:48 AM

Hee! This might kill your agenda...

Here is an LA blog that questions why the media never reported two LA serial killers who killed over 23 women in 20 years -- except that most of the women were black! http://blogging.la/archives/2006/06/serial_killers_in_los_angeles.phtml (broken link)

Quote: "But the press shouldn't be held entirely to blame - we should be. We're all guilty of this widespread prejudice. While we were discussing the Laci Peterson murder over lunch, a genocide was continuing across our city. And as we continue to watch coverage of missing teen Natalee Holloway on Greta van Susteren, a serial killer is still very likely at large in Los Angeles.
"

The blog article is interesting, as are the comments.

We can't talk enough about crime, but a good majority of it never gets in the media. Knoxville is lucky that they even heard about this one.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:07 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Since at least two of us have asked the same question and gotten no response, I now have to ask: Why is the attackers race a secret? Why won't anyone post what race it is? How can we determine if it's racially motivated or not if we have no idea what you are talking about?

As far as I am concerned right now, it's a white on white crime and no, it was not racially motivated.

Has the crime been solved? Did anyone go to prison for it?
Since it doesn't look like anyone answered your question, I read the article on the other thread the other day. If I remember right, the attackers were black and the victims were white.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:10 AM

476 posts, read 1,134,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The point is that it is not in the national news.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY! Do you understand?
If you are this disturbed, contact the national networks and ask them why they chose not to focus on this event. As an ex-reporter I'd think this would be your first step. No one on this forum will be able to answer with more knowledge than them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

Here is an LA blog that questions why the media never reported two LA serial killers who killed over 23 women in 20 years -- except that most of the women were black! http://blogging.la/archives/2006/06/serial_killers_in_los_angeles.phtml (broken link)

Quote: "But the press shouldn't be held entirely to blame - we should be. We're all guilty of this widespread prejudice. While we were discussing the Laci Peterson murder over lunch, a genocide was continuing across our city. And as we continue to watch coverage of missing teen Natalee Holloway on Greta van Susteren, a serial killer is still very likely at large in Los Angeles.
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Some stories get more media attention than others, and in this case, lack thereof. Truly saddening.

Another example is the "Missing white woman syndrome" or "missing pretty girl syndrome".

You Win Some, You Lose Some.
Agreed. When has anyone ever accused the media of being balanced? It's entertainment that's intended to garner ratings and attract advertising dollars. Assuming the media's objective is to report responsible news is a mistake.

Personally, I'd rather see violent lead stories balanced with positive community interest and global coverage. I think National Public Radio does a better job at this than any television station.

Last edited by heavyweight; 04-21-2007 at 07:24 AM..

Old 04-21-2007, 09:08 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callsnap View Post
If you are this disturbed, contact the national networks and ask them why they chose not to focus on this event. As an ex-reporter I'd think this would be your first step. No one on this forum will be able to answer with more knowledge than them.

I have. They have not responded. So I put it here, so that the good people of City-Data can see it. I also think it's an incredible video.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:06 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,038 times
God bless you Hiknapster for the work you have done on this atrocity and to honor the victims.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:32 PM

52 posts, read 122,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callsnap View Post

Agreed. When has anyone ever accused the media of being balanced? It's entertainment that's intended to garner ratings and attract advertising dollars. Assuming the media's objective is to report responsible news is a mistake.

Personally, I'd rather see violent lead stories balanced with positive community interest and global coverage. I think National Public Radio does a better job at this than any television station.
Thank you, I totally agree with what you have stated. I would also say if an individual is that disturbed by this heinous crime and how it is being covered, go out protest and march or something. The important thing is that those responsible are being held accountable I could care less how a crime is being reported I just hope the families get justice. I get tired of watching the same old stories on the news; the media repeats the same crap over and over, then they bring is psychiatrists and "experts" to speculate on what they think is going on with the case and try to get in the mind of perpetrators, that gets so old. I am not trying to sound cold but there is more important things going on in the world than what happened in Knoxville. There are murders in America everyday and many of those murdered are probably at the wrong place at the wrong time, and are innocent victims. We have a war going on in the middle east and we are losing troops everyday. We got terrorist around the world who want to do
harm to america and I could go on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies