Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you content with the current healthcare system in America
Yes 52 20.55%
No 104 41.11%
Yes and No (Some parts are good, some are bad) 97 38.34%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,181,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Extrapolating from the concept "Health care is a privilege, not a right" then I guess life itself is a privilege, not a right. If life itself is a privilege, why is killing people with out government sanction still illegal? Denying health care to a seriously ill person because they cannot afford the payments is tantamount to murder. Since when outside of war, declared or not, is it legal to kill someone by rejecting them from a health care facility.

I think a major opponent to UHC are the people that are wealth enough to afford any lever of care and consider providing it to the less successful degrades their privilege. This is the very essence of the "I've got mine and the Hell with you" mindset of the privileged. Even if UHC could bee arranged without taxing this minority they would oppose it because of the dilution of their privilege.
Who is to pay for it? You? Where is the line? Are you willing to let half your salary pay for other people's mistakes?

I agree that providing for those less fortunate is essential, however that is a moral issue, NOT a legal one. Social responsibility should NEVER be confused with legal rights. You don't seem to understand the distinction between the two.

We have a right to pursue life, NOT a right to have the government take all responsability for our own lives away from ourselves. You need to stop trying to get the government to solve your problems for you and work to take responsibility for your own life.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:17 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,113,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why do you think the gov. wants to keep you healthy???
It wants to provide the most care for the money,if that means those that require more care suffer...well it IS for the greater good of society.

It's just is a bummer when you are the one who has to suffer...
In light of all the common sense posted here already your post is just rambling, making no sense whatsoever.

No one is suffering NOW under our antiquated system of health care where you get care ONLY if insurance companies make a profit???

Old 07-22-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
And thank YOU, too, for posting a thread with a lie as the title!

The more there are the stronger the argument that repubs just can't tell the truth.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:20 AM

10,823 posts, read 14,898,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
A health board, ran by the GOVERNMENT is far more likely to make decsions based on medical criteria whereas a for profit insurance company is going to make decisions only based on profit for them.
The less control government has over my life and fate the better.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,895,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

But corporate control is OK with you?

Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,181,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
And thank YOU, too, for posting a thread with a lie as the title!

The more there are the stronger the argument that repubs just can't tell the truth.
This thread is about health care, not republicans vs democrats. Bashing republicans does not add anything to the debate.

Please stay on topic.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,836,416 times
Which responds quicker to problems and issues,a private company that must make a profit to survive or a gov. controlled entitiy that receives money no matter what?

I find it interesting how many people complained bitterly about the fedgov. a year or so ago but NOW sees it as our savior....

Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This thread is about health care, not republicans vs democrats. Bashing republicans does not add anything to the debate.

Please stay on topic.
Oh sorry, It IS about health care ...wouldn't you prefer the truth? Or do you enjoy the lies???

Old 07-22-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yes, but you'll wallow in the luxury of highways, the court system, libraries, schools, laws to protect you, SOMEBODY ELSE TO FIGHT YOUR WARS, inspect your food and other products for safety, etc.

Sorry, grownups realize you don't get to choose each individual item the government spends taxes on.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:32 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,648,207 times
i wonder how many people actually know someone who lives in a country that has "socialized medicine" (aka every first world country besides ours).

i know that i have NEVER come across a european person who wanted to get rid of their health care system. left or right.

i do know someone who underwent major surgery in england. she had colon cancer. she CHOSE HER OWN DOCTOR for surgery, a private doctor, and her NHS insurance paid for it 100%. she always received excellent and timely care. and you know what, even if she had needed to pay, private health care is less expensive in england than it is here!

she runs a charity, and if she lived in the u.s. she would probably be hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt now. her life would be ruined. basically, she could never have securely had the career that she chose here, and many more people than her are better off because she could in england.

i have another friend who was assaulted and almost died in the texas. he had no insurance at the time. his surgery cost upwards of $100,000. he is covered by the state as a victim of a crime - up to $50,000. so he walked out of this only $50,000 in debt. that's a lovely thing to have to worry about when you are sick, or recovering from nearly dying!

another friend of mine was seriously hurt in a hit and run while she was visiting another state. she was denied surgery that would have greatly improved recovery of a broken arm because she couldn't communicate to the right people in the hospital that she was covered as a victim of a crime. and because she had to return home, she couldn't continue much-needed physical therapy. even as a crime victim, she was only covered in the state where the crime happened.

i could go on and on about uninsured people i know who delayed treatment because of cost (hell, this has happened to me), or who were given less than ideal treatment because they couldn't afford what they needed. the removal of the profit motive from health care (with private health care available for those who want to pay for quicker nonessential treatment) and the removal of the burden of health care costs on small businesses would be well worth the tradeoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.