Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you content with the current healthcare system in America
Yes 52 20.55%
No 104 41.11%
Yes and No (Some parts are good, some are bad) 97 38.34%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 05:06 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,007,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
I really don't like this term, 'aborta-care' I would rather there not be any abortions too, but this kind of slander is a little over kill with propaganda. There are many good things that are being totally ignored, my favorite being you can still get insurance with pre-existing conditions, that's a big deal for Americans since collectively our health has gone down the toilet. More preventitive care obtainable with the possibility of having insurance could make us healthier!

And if we're healthier, the less money is gone through lost work time and monies paid! It would save us money at the same time! Great idea!

Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,200,144 times
I especially love the part where the Obama says "it's strictly voluntary"

Then, you read the legislation and find that if you choose not to have / purchase insurance, you will be fined - 2% of your annual pay / salary.

Of course, there is no description on how they will enforce the fine - but heck, we can trust our representatives, right?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:28 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,909,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
We have rights to those specified in the Constitution, everything else was meant to be on us. This is how the country was founded. Isn't this common knowledge?

Go back and read through it please! We don't have a right to eat! We have a right to pursue means to get food, but it isn't the government's job to take care of us - only to give us the freedom to take care of ourselves!

The government isn't your mother, cut the apronstrings.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:20 PM

281 posts, read 926,432 times
It would be great to have a compehensive, universal health program like western Europe and Japan have. But to have it, we need a vibrant industrial economy like western Europe and Japan have. This country has been in serious economic decline for several decades. And I'm not talking about the stock market. The stock market is junk. We are running out of real things to put stock in. Twenty years ago, Walmart only sold goods made in America and General Motors was the biggest industrial corporation in the world. Now American-made goods are virtually unattainable anywhere and GM is a cottage industry.

National health is like a new car or a French Provincial living room suite: Very nice to have, but you better be able to afford it. We need to protect what is left of our industry and encourage its growth or health insurance will be the least of our worries. We are becoming Bangladesh with strip malls. After a few more years of this, Bangladesh may be better off. Good for them.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:26 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,023,682 times
What a misleading OP, from the first few posts, it seems people thought the question was "do you agree that we need health care reform" instead of "are you content with the current health care system in America?" I voted no because I am not content with the current health care state, capitalizing on income while ignoring needs of patients.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:03 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,184,820 times
Like a great deal of what gets passed in DC it is destined for trouble.
The Gov has to be the worst at managing anything, why would I want them to manage my health care? Add to this the fact that they still don't have a clue how to pay for it.
How did the gov do with regulating the banking industry? How are they doing energy?
Classified information?
Sorry I don't buy into big brother knows best. He can't even manage the budget.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:19 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,674,723 times
Regardless of the pros and cons of this program I think there is a major oversight. We have a shortage of MD's in this country right now. If everyone has health coverage at one time the burden on MD's will be overwhelming. Another option would be that MD's would quit taking new patients leaving the majority without healthcare anyway. Unfortunately, we are being lead by a president who thinks he can snap is fingers and money will fall from the sky, or in this case, doctors will come out of the woodwork.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:27 AM

272 posts, read 295,165 times
Then I guess you should all give up medicare since it is run by the gov't. It may not be perfect ( as any health care reform will not be perfect ) but it is sure is nice to have even if you are rich enough to pay cash for your health care.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:40 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,678,566 times
Default Health care

I have a friend that has recently become a raging conservative and he made the statement that health care is a privilege not a right. I am a republican and I am not quite sure I agree with this statement.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:21 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,286,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I have a friend that has recently become a raging conservative and he made the statement that health care is a privilege not a right. I am a republican and I am not quite sure I agree with this statement.
I don't agree with that statement either and I'm not exactly a raving liberal. In most other countries, basic healthcare is considered a right, just like education.

Unfortunately, I don't see much changing here. There's too much opposition to any form of universal healthcare, stemming from a huge distrust of the Federal Government (although I don't know why people would trust private insurers any more).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.