Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:37 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times

Advertisements

Commerce Secretary: Americans ‘Need to Pay’ for Chinese Emissions - Environmental Capital - WSJ

Quote:
But yesterday, Commerce Secretary Gary Locke said something amazing—U.S. consumers should pay for part of Chinese greenhouse-gas emissions. From Reuters:

“It’s important that those who consume the products being made all around the world to the benefit of America — and it’s our own consumption activity that’s causing the emission of greenhouse gases, then quite frankly Americans need to pay for that,” Commerce Secretary Gary Locke told the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai.
You.have.got.to.be.kidding.me.

Hope and Change, baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 06:40 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
They own our debt. Therefore, we must do as they say. Congrats to the Bush/Obama team! We are forever in your (as well as Chineses') debt.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:25 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
They own our debt. Therefore, we must do as they say. Congrats to the Bush/Obama team! We are forever in your (as well as Chineses') debt.
I was about to type because they own our ass. I believe that is a better description.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:34 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Firstly, Cap and Trade is a farce, yet another do nothing, feel good Band Aid program that won;t address anything it says it will. It will be cheaper for companies to keep pumping crap out into the air and passing the cost of buying credits onto the consumer.

Secondly, there simply isn't conclusive proof that human beings are driving this climactic change. Some people are runnign about like Chicken Littles, as if the climate isn't supposed to change.

Thirdly, you can all thank Bushco for China "owning our collective asses". Where do you think the money for StimBills and Rebates came from during his Administration?

Old 07-19-2009, 07:36 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
I think it was supposed to be some kind of veiled threat to the Chinese -- we'll just stop buying/slap a big tariff on your dirty-factory products.

Maybe not. But it was a really stupid thing to say either way.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:47 PM

785 posts, read 1,049,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think it was supposed to be some kind of veiled threat to the Chinese -- we'll just stop buying/slap a big tariff on your dirty-factory products.

Maybe not. But it was a really stupid thing to say either way.
That's what we really should be doing if we want the Chinese to reduce their carbon emissions. I'm sure they'd clean up their dirty factories in a second if they knew that their exports would be in jeopardy. Of course we'd probably have to change our most faroved nation status with China first in order to not be sued in a WTO tribunal.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:51 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Firstly, Cap and Trade is a farce, yet another do nothing, feel good Band Aid program that won;t address anything it says it will. It will be cheaper for companies to keep pumping crap out into the air and passing the cost of buying credits onto the consumer.

Secondly, there simply isn't conclusive proof that human beings are driving this climactic change. Some people are runnign about like Chicken Littles, as if the climate isn't supposed to change.

Thirdly, you can all thank Bushco for China "owning our collective asses". Where do you think the money for StimBills and Rebates came from during his Administration?

Hmmmmm and the TRILLIONS that were just passed far LARGER then Bush's was by whom??? Hmmmmmmmmmm Let me think..............Oh yes OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:56 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Hmmmmm and the TRILLIONS that were just passed far LARGER then Bush's was by whom??? Hmmmmmmmmmm Let me think..............Oh yes OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whether BHO and the Dems in Congress can fix the economy that Bush43 and his Rubber Stamp Republican Congress (and a Democrat party unable and in some cases unwilling to get past an obstructionist minority party in '07 & '08) destroyed remains to be seen.

However, just as I gave Bush43 a chance (which he completly blew), I am willing to give BHO a chance as well. To date the Republicans have offered nothing in the way of comprimise, only obstruction. The only thing really keeping the progressives from steaming forward are BlueDog Dems.

One of the advantages to being a Centrist and a registered Independant, I don't have to look the fool for being a blind partisan.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:16 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Whether BHO and the Dems in Congress can fix the economy that Bush43 and his Rubber Stamp Republican Congress (and a Democrat party unable and in some cases unwilling to get past an obstructionist minority party in '07 & '08) destroyed remains to be seen.

However, just as I gave Bush43 a chance (which he completly blew), I am willing to give BHO a chance as well. To date the Republicans have offered nothing in the way of comprimise, only obstruction. The only thing really keeping the progressives from steaming forward are BlueDog Dems.

One of the advantages to being a Centrist and a registered Independant, I don't have to look the fool for being a blind partisan.

I really appreciate that this current president has had the guts to stand up and take on all this mess -- in the face of so much hysterical opposition and more death threats toward himself and his family than any president ever has had.

It seems most of these complainers would prefer he have just continued business as usual: pass the buck, scotch-tape problems together for the next guy.

I love that we have a brave president for a freaking change.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:29 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Seems he is in favor of carbon tariffs. That's how we will save the planet you know, thru taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies