Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Tonight could be Obama's swan song for what Nancy Pelosi thinks healthcare reform should be. This morning I heard John Boehner say that he hoped they wouldn't try to twist too many moderate Dem arms over health care since most of them got both arms broken over Crap and Tax.

Back to tonight's speech that surely will be followed by "tough" questions from the White House Press Corps. I just can't wait to hear all those tough questions. I am sure that none of that bunch wants to embarrass Obama with questions that show his lack of knowledge of what Congress is doing as he was forced to admit yesterday.

Last week, the Federal Reserve made a little noticed, but astonishing announcement. In addition to projecting unemployment over 10% in the coming months, they also projected no net new jobs over the next five years.

Let me repeat that to drive the point home: no net new jobs over the next five years.

I don't remember the media reporting that one from last week. I wonder if the FR really said those things. Read the article and find out what the man should say tonight.

The Press Conference President Obama Could Give - HUMAN EVENTS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:18 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
I understand your sarcasm, but I hope President Obama says something like "Okay, we tried to ram this through before the August recess, but now we know that's not going to work. We miscalculated and got a little too slick. I know that everyone thinks that health-care reform is dead becuase the elections are next year, but here's a newsflash: I am going to make this priority one of my administration, because of the critical need for the country to do something about this problem which is impoverishing us and leaving so many people without decent medical care. So we're going to work together, Republicans and Democrats, on a bipartisan non-political solution with a deadline of January 1, 2011, for its implementation. Everyone will get the credit. No one will play games. And the American people will thank us all, regardless of party or poliitical view."

Be a leader, Mr. Obama. Challenge us to do the right thing.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:27 AM

133 posts, read 173,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I understand your sarcasm, but I hope President Obama says something like "Okay, we tried to ram this through before the August recess, but now we know that's not going to work. We miscalculated and got a little too slick. I know that everyone thinks that health-care reform is dead becuase the elections are next year, but here's a newsflash: I am going to make this priority one of my administration, because of the critical need for the country to do something about this problem which is impoverishing us and leaving so many people without decent medical care. So we're going to work together, Republicans and Democrats, on a bipartisan non-political solution with a deadline of January 1, 2011, for its implementation. Everyone will get the credit. No one will play games. And the American people will thank us all, regardless of party or poliitical view."

That would be fantastic is that were to happen. But the more likely scenario will be some happy talk, some angry stuff, poor little me and my legacy because of those mean old republicans. Then, WHAM! Next week an executive order to pass health care because we just couldn't get along. And I'll believe that was his plan the whole time. He's under handed and his cronies are atrocious. It will be reconciliation or executive order. All this other is a smoke screen. He's going to take the fall for the dems, and they probably already know it. Just my take on it anyway

Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Tonight could be Obama's swan song for what Nancy Pelosi thinks healthcare reform should be. This morning I heard John Boehner say that he hoped they wouldn't try to twist too many moderate Dem arms over health care since most of them got both arms broken over Crap and Tax.

Back to tonight's speech that surely will be followed by "tough" questions from the White House Press Corps. I just can't wait to hear all those tough questions. I am sure that none of that bunch wants to embarrass Obama with questions that show his lack of knowledge of what Congress is doing as he was forced to admit yesterday.

Last week, the Federal Reserve made a little noticed, but astonishing announcement. In addition to projecting unemployment over 10% in the coming months, they also projected no net new jobs over the next five years.

Let me repeat that to drive the point home: no net new jobs over the next five years.

I don't remember the media reporting that one from last week. I wonder if the FR really said those things. Read the article and find out what the man should say tonight.

I hold out little hope. He will answer his handful of questions from carefully chosen press people by stretching the time for each "answer", most often not an answer at all, and before we know it the press conference will be over.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:03 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post

How does Obama think his pie-in-the-sky healthcare reform plan will be funded? Income tax revenue is down 44% from last year, and the FR correctly indicates that unemployment will continue to grow to over 10%. If there is a recovery, it will be a jobless recovery, keeping tax revenue low.

Does Obama realize how foolish he looks when he continues to try to champion a hugely expensive healthcare entitlement program when the gov's revenue has fallen sharply with no revenue recovery even remotely visible on the distant horizon?

For those wondering why income tax revenue is down 44% from last year, that is the fatal flaw in our grossly distorted progressive tax rate structure. The current tax revenue system rests on a comparatively narrow base; it depends on those earning higher incomes to pay a disproportionately large (compared to their income distribution percentage, i.e., the top 1% of earners earn 20% of the income but pay 39.9% of income tax revenue) share of the tax revenue. Large incomes fall in bad times. The grossly distorted graduated tax rate structure ensures that when recession/depression strikes, revenues fall faster, and more, than do incomes.
IRS tax revenue falls 44% - USATODAY.com

Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Quote:

Here's hoping your post is delivered from your keyboard to Obama's teleprompter.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:17 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
and so you all suggest....what?

Ezra Klein - The Status Quo Alternative
So the next time you hear someone throwing a hissy fit because health reform might raise taxes on some people, or steer people into managed care, or require small businesses to contribute $2 a day for each employee's coverage, just remember to ask yourself: And that's compared with what?
Another way to say this is that health-care reform includes a couple of serious efforts to cut costs in the long-term. One is the effort to take Medicare reform away from Congress. Another is the mix of comparative effectiveness research and health IT. Another is insurer competition in the Health Insurance Exchange. Another is the public plan. There are reasons to believe these policies will work and reasons to believe they won't. But there is no reason to believe that doing nothing will obtain a different result then it's already produced.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:29 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:

Why would we believe him to be bi-partisan now? They've shut everyone out of the process that isn't on their "side". Something DOES need to be done, but not the current version.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:30 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

Ezra Klein - The Status Quo Alternative
So the next time you hear someone throwing a hissy fit because health reform might raise taxes on some people, or steer people into managed care, or require small businesses to contribute $2 a day for each employee's coverage, just remember to ask yourself: And that's compared with what?
Another way to say this is that health-care reform includes a couple of serious efforts to cut costs in the long-term. One is the effort to take Medicare reform away from Congress. Another is the mix of comparative effectiveness research and health IT. Another is insurer competition in the Health Insurance Exchange. Another is the public plan. There are reasons to believe these policies will work and reasons to believe they won't. But there is no reason to believe that doing nothing will obtain a different result then it's already produced.
I suggest he be honest about what the plan will cost and how taxes are to be raised to pay for it. He should admit that the rich can't pay for this whole plan, and there will have to be a tax paid by the people who get health insurance from their jobs.
It will be very unpopular among his base, but it is the only way to get the coverage paid for.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:22 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

There are reasons to believe these policies will work and reasons to believe they won't. But there is no reason to believe that doing nothing will obtain a different result then it's already produced.[/indent]
You make some good points, but your last thought reminds me that sometimes it's best to do NOTHING untill one knows what one is doing.

As it stands, it seems evident that neither the president nor the rest of Government knows what they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies