Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
No, actually their auto insurance or the auto insurance of the person who hit them should pay it.

Did you know about auto insurance?
Auto insurance will only cover a very small part of their cost of care if the accident is bad enough. But, just to make it easier, what if they get cancer? Then they get their care on the taxpayers dime. In other words, my dime.

So yes, I think people should have to enroll in an insurance plan, or pay a steep fine.

In a perfect world, we would have single payer national health care. But until that day, I have no problem with compelling people to enroll.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:19 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
Maybe they just have a different idea on HOW it should be done, not IF.

Any room in your party for new ideas, or is it all lock-step, do-it-this-way-or-else?

For instance, is part of 'reform' in your view that every individual would be REQUIRED to purchase health insurance, whether they want it or not?

I know lots of young singles who don't want it right now. They're healthy and have no dependents and are willing to pay for any incidentals out-of-pocket.

Would your plan make criminals of them?
Do those same young singles pay for auto insurance? How about home-owners or renter's insurance? How is health insurance different?
We need to stop thinking that our 'stuff' is more important than our own health and well-being.

You might want to have them take a look at this:
No jobs, no insurance: hard times for young adults - Health care- msnbc.com

Old 07-22-2009, 12:20 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Auto insurance will only cover a very small part of their cost of care if the accident is bad enough. But, just to make it easier, what if they get cancer? Then they get their care on the taxpayers dime. In other words, my dime.

So yes, I think people should have to enroll in an insurance plan, or pay a steep fine.

In a perfect world, we would have single payer national health care. But until that day, I have no problem with compelling people to enroll.
Actually, you are once again off base here. Hospitals are only required to give "emergency" care. Once a patient is stabilized, they are sent home if they have no insurance. So don't worry, there aren't any cancer patients getting chemo on your dime. If they don't have insurance, they just die.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:20 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Universal health care is not what's needed. What is needed is a cap on what health care costs. How does some operations cost hundreds of thousands of dollars when they may only take a few hours? Get an aspirin in the hospital ans it's at least $10.

I went to the emergency room for a small but very deep burn where all they could do was prescribe a salve and was sent a bill for $1800! I was there about 30 min.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:21 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
. If Americans vote in republicans next year, then they will be condemning themselves to a more economically stratified country. The wealthy will get wealthier and the middle class will get poorer, plain and simple.

I am lower middleclass wage earner.Ever since your guy has got into office your party has made my life more expensive,with more expense to come if your cap&trade passes and whatever else the Dems make law up and coming.

So please tell me since you believe the Dems are out to help the middle class here I am one of them who is loosing money ever since the Dems control Wash DC why is that?

Old 07-22-2009, 12:21 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
That isn't what happens. The person involved in the accident is billed for the amount they owe. The person can then either pay or set up a plan for payment. Most medical care payed for by our taxes comes through state run Medicaid programs for the poor, elderly, and disabled. That isn't going to change with a big mandatory government health insurance plan. The same people still won't be able to pay. And atleast now we don't have to worry about government mandates on healthcare proceedings. I guess you can't wait until you are being ordered in for some government required testing or procedure. Come on, free is simply the only way to live our lives. And any program which takes away freedom is wrong for this country. Freedom is having a choice, and this plan leaves no room for choice. It's our way, or get fined.
Not really. Most people that wind up deep in debt for medical expenses just file bankruptcy.

Medical Bills Leading Cause of Bankruptcy, Harvard Study Finds

Then the taxpayers end up subsidizing the system and paying the hospital's expenses.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:22 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
The Democratic party ran on the issue of health care reform during the last election. Now some of them are backing down as more lobbyist money is poured into their pockets.
There's good reform, bad reform and totally ruinous reform - the latter is what the dems/libs have on the table right now.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:22 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
The Democratic party ran on the issue of health care reform during the last election. Now some of them are backing down as more lobbyist money is poured into their pockets. We need to organize at the grass-roots level and replace any Democratic politician that doesn't support health care reform with one who does.

Source says some Democrats frustrated with health bill - CNN.com
So they should vote with the party rather than the people that they represent. They're not backing down because of lobbyist money - it's because the people in the their districts who actually think have let them know it's a horrible idea.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:24 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Quote:

If they do not have the money to pay for an insurance plan how the h*ll are they going to have the money for a fine? With everything else hussein obmama is doing everyone's cost of living is gong to skyroocket. There will be no money for insurance.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:27 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Universal health care is not what's needed. What is needed is a cap on what health care costs. How does some operations cost hundreds of thousands of dollars when they may only take a few hours? Get an aspirin in the hospital ans it's at least $10.

I went to the emergency room for a small but very deep burn where all they could do was prescribe a salve and was sent a bill for $1800! I was there about 30 min.
Now here's someone who's really thinking. Do you know that when my grandmother was in the hospital dying of lung cancer (don't worry, she had insurance and my grandfather paid the rest Spot) they had to feed her through a tube in her belly. You know, those fancy hospital concentrates that come in a bag. Well, my grandfather later showed me the bill for the food. $5,000.00 a day! She was in for 12 days before she died. That was $60,000.00 just for her food. It's insane! A simple visit to the ER will almost always run you $1500 to 2000 dollars, and I mean just for something small. So I agree, the real reform needs to happen within the system itself, starting with fees and prescription costs. Then there would be no need for "Big Brother" insurance plans. People could all afford to take care of themselves without insurance, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies