Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:51 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I'd venture to say there are secessionist groups in most states. Remember the Montana Freeman? Plus when I was living in Hawaii, there was a group there that wanted to break off. This isn't unique to Obama. But you have more media venues than ever before, with the internet, so, you hear more about it.
The Republic of Texas, also. Not to mention various neo-Confederate, Aztlanist and "Cascadian" groups, and perhaps the weirdest of all secessionist movements, the Dominion of British West Florida (who could be considered "neo-Confederate" in that they advocate that the Deep South secede from the Union, but their monarchist leanings set them apart from other neo-Confederates).

The Internet has definitely been a boon to fringe groups of all types, secessionist groups included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 06:55 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
What do you mean, "starting?"
OK I'm a little late but I'm here. sept We don't call them traiters we call them Free AMERICANS

Old 07-22-2009, 06:58 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
That really says something when a President is screwing things up so badly that states are talking about leaving the Union...How sad...way to go Giggles!

HCR 0006

Gov. Rick Perry: Texas Could Secede, Leave Union

Now Georgia Is Threatening to Secede « Liberty Street

First Montana, now Oklahoma willing to secede - M4Carbine.net Forums

Mod action: Added some links that go along with OP. Can't speak for content, just wanted to have some links for people to check out and discuss. This often helps with conversation and understanding of OP. Have a good evening. Reads

Get over it BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.............

Old 07-22-2009, 07:01 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
That really says something when a President is screwing things up so badly that states are talking about leaving the Union...How sad...way to go Giggles!

HCR 0006

Gov. Rick Perry: Texas Could Secede, Leave Union

Now Georgia Is Threatening to Secede « Liberty Street

First Montana, now Oklahoma willing to secede - M4Carbine.net Forums

Mod action: Added some links that go along with OP. Can't speak for content, just wanted to have some links for people to check out and discuss. This often helps with conversation and understanding of OP. Have a good evening. Reads
How interesting that NO states talked of secession until Obama got in office..

Ever hear of a little thing called the Civil War???

Old 07-22-2009, 07:01 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Wasn't Vermont talking about it back when Bush was in office? Seems like I remember something about it, not sure though.
You're probably right.

I know that Vermont will arrest Bush or Cheney if they inadvertently step foot inside the state.

Vermont towns vote to arrest Bush and Cheney

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Voters in two Vermont towns on Tuesday approved a measure that would instruct police to arrest President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney for "crimes against our Constitution," local media reported.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...54699420080305

Old 07-22-2009, 07:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
For those people unaware of "Cascadianism" as it has not gotten as much attention as neo-Confederates, Aztlanists, Texan and Alaskan separatists, etc. it is a movement that seeks to establish an independent nation consisting of Washington, Oregon, far northern California, and British Columbia, sometimes also including Idaho. The Cascadian movement has been around since at least the 1970s.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Get over it BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.............
OH OK now i understand thanx

Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Of course. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with policy could it? Sorry, but I am sick of this lame excuse. Every time there is a thread that seems to criticize Obama in any way, someone jumps in and cries "Racism" Careful, if you keep using the same excuse it will lose it's vitality before two years of this presidency is up. Be conservative, pick and choose when you will play the race card. Because it just isn't an excuse every time someone has something to say about Obama. I bet George wishes he would have used the "race card" more often when he was in office. "You guys just don't like me because I'm white, it has nothing to do with my ignorance and lies!"

I can see the point you are trying to make about racisim, but i'd have to ask why did all of this just flare up all of the sudden. From the first link you included in the OP, it was dated in April. I think it would be interesting to put a timeline from when the first part of TARP came into existence and inaguration day to see where the secession guage was. If it was pretty non-existant during the first part of TARP and didn't increase until after inaguration, then I think racisim may play a part in the secesson talk.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:34 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Um no.

That's why the California Secession Movement has been around for many years.

Wonder why people started talking secession BEFORE Obama even signed any laws? Maybe it's because they couldn't accept the fact that they lost the election or that the man who was to lead them happened to have a funny name and dark skin.

Once again, you fail to understand history (because a simple google search would have shown you that secession movements have always been around)

At least 80% of the people talking secession are racists who can't accept a dark-skinned president and the rest were talking secession long before Obama took office.

Bullseye, touch down, home run, goal, 3pt shot,etc,etc.

Checkmate end of thread time to go home!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Bullseye, touch down, home run, goal, 3pt shot,etc,etc.

Checkmate end of thread time to go home!
and take your arrows football baseball puck and basketball with you.we don;t want them we have our own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies