Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:35 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Wow, according to some of the Obama bots here the stock market is surging because of Obama, so now that would have been a great choice now wouldnt it?

Since they want to give credit of the stock market rise to Obama, Bush's idea would have been masterful then correct?

According to the bots here anyway.

Funny according to you I'm now an "Obama" Bot? Yet, i don't seem to remember him asking to end Social Security and Medicare two things i have been arguing for a few years.....

After gathering more facts and information on the medical insurance industry and the value of health-care to older individuals..i changed my position on the Public Option, but i have not changed my opinion on Social Security it needs to go!

It is interesting I'm certainly not a Republican ( i was a card carrying member up until 2006, but then i realized my conservative beliefs did not align with the party beyond lower taxes)......

What the heck do you believe in Sunny? If your a conservative you should also be for eliminating these programs, but if you are a republican i doubt you are for eliminating these programs (big difference)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 10:45 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
Funny according to you I'm now an "Obama" Bot? Yet, i don't seem to remember him asking to end Social Security and Medicare two things i have been arguing for a few years.....

After gathering more facts and information on the medical insurance industry and the value of health-care to older individuals..i changed my position on the Public Option, but i have not changed my opinion on Social Security it needs to go!

It is interesting I'm certainly not a Republican ( i was a card carrying member up until 2006, but then i realized my conservative beliefs did not align with the party beyond lower taxes)......

What the heck do you believe in Sunny? If your a conservative you should also be for eliminating these programs, but if you are a republican i doubt you are for eliminating these programs (big difference)
I do not believe that people who have paid into this system for many years and where never told ever that they could not rely on this that it be taken away from them.

What will most of these people live on? Afterall they did pay into it?
Now if they were told it would not be there and needed to save for retirement 40 years ago then I would also agree.

I do not believe SS in a social program myself, as it was paid into by these people.

Welfare is a social program to me. Nothing paid in and a ton taken out.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:52 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post

How many years have you paid to Social Security? As many as 50? I did it for over 50 years so felt I had earned the right to get some of it back. Sure I didn't pay in as much as people do today but my monthly check is much less that today's people would get if the Democrats had allowed it to be repaired by getting the hands of Congress out of the fund. They just couldn't stand to have that "surplus", the money that was left at the end of each year, just sit there drawing interest. The Congress owes the fun nearly $3 trillion and the IOUs are in the box to prove that. Where can they get money like that?

Social Security as planned by the FDR people could be working for many more years if Congress hadn't started spending that money back in the 1950s. I don't think you have been around as long as that but I have. I graduated from high school in 1950 and have been watching them ever since that time.

Democrats created Social Security and got to spend that money for that whole 40 years that they controlled Congress. The saddest part of this is that the Republicans went right ahead doing it in the 90s and into the present century. Now we are to the point that less is coming in that is going out for a couple of years. Maybe we could make it better after the shock of the baby boomers is over and we get away from that 9.7% unemployment.

Kid, do you know that we old people get to pay the Medicare tax? Seemingly you don't. Yep, we get about $120 withheld every month from our SS check. That is over 10% for me. Did you know that our COLA will not kick in for the next three years? That will be tough when the rampant inflation comes at us.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:46 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How many years have you paid to Social Security? As many as 50? I did it for over 50 years so felt I had earned the right to get some of it back. Sure I didn't pay in as much as people do today but my monthly check is much less that today's people would get if the Democrats had allowed it to be repaired by getting the hands of Congress out of the fund. They just couldn't stand to have that "surplus", the money that was left at the end of each year, just sit there drawing interest. The Congress owes the fun nearly $3 trillion and the IOUs are in the box to prove that. Where can they get money like that?

Social Security as planned by the FDR people could be working for many more years if Congress hadn't started spending that money back in the 1950s. I don't think you have been around as long as that but I have. I graduated from high school in 1950 and have been watching them ever since that time.

Democrats created Social Security and got to spend that money for that whole 40 years that they controlled Congress. The saddest part of this is that the Republicans went right ahead doing it in the 90s and into the present century. Now we are to the point that less is coming in that is going out for a couple of years. Maybe we could make it better after the shock of the baby boomers is over and we get away from that 9.7% unemployment.

Kid, do you know that we old people get to pay the Medicare tax? Seemingly you don't. Yep, we get about $120 withheld every month from our SS check. That is over 10% for me. Did you know that our COLA will not kick in for the next three years? That will be tough when the rampant inflation comes at us.

Social Security freeze means seniors must scrimp - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091016/ap_on_bi_ge/us_social_security_seniors - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies