U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:20 AM

873 posts, read 1,616,658 times

Advertisements

What gets me is that people will pick one point of Ron Paul's platform and use that as an excuse not to vote for him and then they turn around and vote for another Republican or Democrat that doesn't care at all about the United States and our citizens, but only cares about big lobbys and special interest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 07:24 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,166,301 times
Ron Paul does make a lot of sense about this. As a conservative, I have no problem with ending our huge military presence overseas.

Our military is modern enough now that it can react to situations quickly enough if the need arises.

Usually a carrier battle group off the coast of a country is enough to make war mongers re-think what they are doing. As for permanent bases though, that's cold war stuff and there doesn't seem to be a need for it anymore.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 AM

9,043 posts, read 11,956,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
What gets me is that people will pick one point of Ron Paul's platform and use that as an excuse not to vote for him and then they turn around and vote for another Republican or Democrat that doesn't care at all about the United States and our citizens, but only cares about big lobbys and special interest.
^ this

It makes a convenient excuse to vote for 'that black guy' or Caribou Barbie.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:32 AM

19,556 posts, read 20,045,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Neo Cons Obama and Bush would never approve.
True enough...

Old 07-23-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Ron Paul is not talking just about Afgan and Iraq, but also our bases around the world. There are hundreds of bases all over the planet, and most of them can be scrapped.
I believe the USA has bases or a military presence in over 130 nations...and growing.

Why do we have troops in south Korea?
And Japan?
And Germany?
And....

Old 07-23-2009, 07:44 AM

27,632 posts, read 18,652,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Legalize pot and we could git 'er done too!
besides cutting back the Bush tax cuts for the rich (which was given during a time of war, unheard of), taxing internet pronography and internet gambling. They tax the hell out of cigarettes and liquor, why not those? Can you imagine the revenues?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:46 AM

What about food?
Lets tax food....and air,now THAT would get the gov. lots of $$$.

Or....crazy idea.....how about the gov. CUT spending???

No,that will never fly.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:04 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,798,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Oy!!! If only he were Pro-choice ...
I've thought this lots of times. If his liberatarianism would extend to women's choice issues, he'd have a whole new load of supporters.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I've thought this lots of times. If his liberatarianism would extend to women's choice issues, he'd have a whole new load of supporters.
If only he was willing to abandon his beliefs to get more votes...

Hey,that sounds like all the other politicians.

Again there is little his personal beliefs could do to get the fedgov. out of the abortion business....

And it was not an issue involving the fedgov.
http://www.ontheissues.org/tx/Ron_Paul_Abortion.htm

Old 07-23-2009, 08:36 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,798,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
If only he was willing to abandon his beliefs to get more votes...

Hey,that sounds like all the other politicians.

Again there is little his personal beliefs could do to get the fedgov. out of the abortion business....

And it was not an issue involving the fedgov.
Ron Paul on Abortion
I'm not asking him to abandon his personal beliefs. But I believe that Roe v. Wade is good law and he clearly does not, which would most likely lead him to appoint Supreme Court justices that he believes would strike it down. Therefore, I'm not going to vote for him. It's an important issue to me and it's my right to think about it when I'm deciding who I'm going to support for president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies