U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,305,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Personally I have no problem with RP at all and had he been the repub POTUS candidate, I would have voted for him and that's saying a lot coming from a lifelong Dem..he has a few quirks and issues that I'm not for,but I can deal with them.

Ron Paul on the Issues

The media and everyone else in both parties try to make him look like a wacko because unlike Palin who is a total joke,they really ARE scared of him and his break away from the "good ol' boy" and business as usual thoughts and stances.

I do think if the repubs were to run him against Obama in the next horse race,he'd stand a really good chance regardless of if Obama is doing good at that point or not.JMHO.
What I find most amusing is that so manyAmericans feel that Paul, Gravel and Kucinich are 'wackos' because they dare to stand against conventional stupidity by presenting new and innovative ideas, whereas Bush and Palin are thought to be intelligent and worthy of respect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 07:53 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,043,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I didn't say we "needed" anything. I am saying that for you to belittle an air force flight surgeon, medical doctor who ran his own practice, and a man who has been in congress with a solid voting record is absurd. paul has presented his package. don't raise taxes, cut spending.
LOL..and like I said, it's sure to work when nobody is scrutinizing it. Funny how folks will call some sheeple but will believe in a plan that has faced NO scrutiny or analysis..People just slober all over this guy claiming everything he says his perfect. He's Ross Perot on steroids.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:04 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,929,214 times
While Ron Paul may not be in favor of spending trillions/billions of dollars on overseas wars, there's no way in hell that as a libertarian, he'd funnel that (public) money into healthcare.

I get the impression that Ron Paul is engaged in some sort of publicity drive with this latest stunt and his attacks on Sarah Palin.

p.s. for the record, I agree with certain libertarian views and I don't believe that Ron Paul is a bad egg, but I can't help but see the wood for the trees here.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:19 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,588,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
While Ron Paul may not be in favor of spending trillions/billions of dollars on overseas wars, there's no way in hell that as a libertarian, he'd funnel that (public) money into healthcare.

I get the impression that Ron Paul is engaged in some sort of publicity drive with this latest stunt and his attacks on Sarah Palin.

p.s. for the record, I agree with certain libertarian views and I don't believe that Ron Paul is a bad egg, but I can't help but see the wood for the trees here.
That's exactly why I wouldn't vote for him But you're right, he's setting himself up for a run. However, I think he's always thought Palin was a joke.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
That's exactly why I wouldn't vote for him But you're right, he's setting himself up for a run. However, I think he's always thought Palin was a joke.
If that's what he truly thought, he should have come out and said it 10 months ago, because it's too late now (Palin is yesterday's news).

I'm also baffled by the fact that he mentioned "financing" healthcare, when as a libertarian, he would surely be fiercely against any public financing of healthcare?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:17 PM

8,703 posts, read 9,504,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
And to finance health reform, Paul would like to see the US end its overseas military engagements. “I would cut from overseas spending, I would cut from these trillions and trillions of dollars that we have spent over the years and bring our troops home so that we can finance it [health care].”

Raw Story » Ron Paul: End wars to fund health care (http://rawstory.com/08/news/2009/07/22/ron-paul-cut-overseas-spending-to-pay-for-health-care/ - broken link)
Whoawhoawhoa.....I thought Ron Paul was the only true Libertarian, what is this I thought he was the real deal, this really can not be accurate, because that would mean that Ron Paul doesnt really hate big government and spending ....he just hates it being done on the military........ say it isnt so.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:18 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,588,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
If that's what he truly thought, he should have come out and said it 10 months ago, because it's too late now (Palin is yesterday's news).

I'm also baffled by the fact that he mentioned "financing" healthcare, when as a libertarian, he would surely be fiercely against any public financing of healthcare?
I've heard him say several times that he is against single payer. Maybe he sees some semblance of sanity in a public exchange? I like your other theory better. He's positioning himself for a run at office. Republicans better hope he stays out of it, because he will divide the party come election time.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I've heard him say several times that he is against single payer. Maybe he sees some semblance of sanity in a public exchange? I like your other theory better. He's positioning himself for a run at office. Republicans better hope he stays out of it, because he will divide the party come election time.
@ 73 years of age, I think he's too old to run in 2012, whether I agree with him or not.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:25 PM

8,703 posts, read 9,504,424 times
Quote:
You are not serious, are you?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:43 PM

795 posts, read 1,277,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Whoawhoawhoa.....I thought Ron Paul was the only true Libertarian, what is this I thought he was the real deal, this really can not be accurate, because that would mean that Ron Paul doesnt really hate big government and spending ....he just hates it being done on the military........ say it isnt so.

Paul said he wants the government to stay out of the healthcare biz but he understands that the government will eventually penetrate the market. He is simply saying that if we are going down that road then it would be in our best interest to cut military spending overseas to help cover some of the cost.

I completely agree with him. The government shouldn't ever compete with private healthcare providers but it will because it's easier than tweaking the current system. Most of the House and Senate are too lazy to read the bills they are voting on. There is no chance of them actually coming up with real solutions to the problems plaguing our system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies