Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:56 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
So either his policies have had time to take effect or they haven't. For all of the liberals crediting Obama with this so called recovery, you will have to lay the blame at his feet when this house of cards comes tumbling down very soon. I have a feeling that somehow it will be Bush's fault again though
I've said all along that Bush was right to do the bail outs - just as I said he helped the collapse happen in the first place by not paying attention to what was going on and letting the situation deteriorate into a crises.

Now my question to YOU is: Since you seem to blame Obama for the economic crises (even though it started long before Obama was even President) - and are already blaming him for something that hasn't even HAPPENED yet (and most likely won't) - when the "house of cards" doesn't come tumbling down will you give him CREDIT?

Somehow I doubt THAT.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Notice the more dissent to Obama the higher it goes. Wall Street knows Obama is becoming impotent, he's doing it to himself. I must say though it's kinda strnge you guys are now cheering for Wall Street. Not 6 months ago some of you folks were trying to hang them or burn them at the stake.
I'm cheering for my 401K - NOT for the big shots. I still think a bunch of them should be fired (if not jailed). Those folks are not responsible for the market coming back. It's come back for 2 reasons:

1) The market overeacted to the crises to begin with (going too low for the actual conditions of the economy) and is correcting to a more appropriate level.
2) The general economy has bottomed out (and in some areas actually started to recover).

In neither of these situations have the big wig CEO's helped in any way, shape or form.

Ken

Old 07-23-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yeah, right. The Treasury isn't really auctioning $229 billion in securities next week... etc., etc.
Oh the Treasury is selling bonds - that's my point.
Dispite you Obamabasher's claims that "no one wants to buy US bonds" they are selling JUST FINE - even at the ultra-low (less than 4%) rates they've been offered at. As time goes on and the worlds' economies recover those rates will of course go up - just as they've ALWAYS done during recoveries. Nothing new about any of that.

Ken

Old 07-23-2009, 09:16 PM

785 posts, read 1,049,809 times
I wouldn't get too optimistic until unemployemt and foreclosures start to plummet

Old 07-23-2009, 09:25 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,929,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
So now it's only 40% lower than what it was a few years ago?

That's just what we all wanted! Hooray!
What the Obamaites don't get is the stock market is going up because Obama appears to be losing in the area of cap and trade and health insurance.

Other than handing billions and trillions to banks what has he accomplished in the last six months?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:46 PM

88,977 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I'm cheering for my 401K - NOT for the big shots. I still think a bunch of them should be fired (if not jailed). Those folks are not responsible for the market coming back. It's come back for 2 reasons:

1) The market overeacted to the crises to begin with (going too low for the actual conditions of the economy) and is correcting to a more appropriate level.
2) The general economy has bottomed out (and in some areas actually started to recover).

In neither of these situations have the big wig CEO's helped in any way, shape or form.

Ken
Wow, Ken. Why haven't you told Bernanke the economy has started to recover?

Bernanke's testimony to Congress this week: "As the recession’s gotten worse in the last six months or so..."
Calculated Risk: Bernanke: CRE May Pose Risk

Old 07-23-2009, 09:56 PM

88,977 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Oh the Treasury is selling bonds - that's my point.
Dispite you Obamabasher's claims that "no one wants to buy US bonds" they are selling JUST FINE - even at the ultra-low (less than 4%) rates they've been offered at. As time goes on and the worlds' economies recover those rates will of course go up - just as they've ALWAYS done during recoveries. Nothing new about any of that.

Ken
Really, Ken, you seem to not understand what's going on. The market isn't rallying because there is any kind of 'recovery,' it's rallying because the gov/GS (what's the diff?) needs to pump it up before the Treasury's $229 billion securities auction next week.

Even Bernanke knows there is no recovery. He testified this week that the recession has gotten worse.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Wow, Ken. Why haven't you told Bernanke the economy has started to recover?

Bernanke's testimony to Congress this week: "As the recession’s gotten worse in the last six months or so..."
Calculated Risk: Bernanke: CRE May Pose Risk
Yes STARTED TO RECOVER.
OF COURSE the economy has gotten worse in the last six months or so - we've moved to the bottom and are now turning the corner (DUH!!!!). Not every aspect has recovered yet, but the majority of the Leading Economic Indicators are now positive. Housing sales are rising (as are prices in most parts of the country), Layoffs are generally dropping (they'll go up and down a bit but the general trend over the last few months has been definitely DOWN), and of course the stock market is up as a result.

"The Conference Board LEI for the U.S. increased for the third consecutive month in June. Most of the components contributed positively to the index this month except real money supply* and manufacturers' new orders for nondefense capital goods*."

The Conference Board Leading Economic Indexâ„¢ (LEI) for the U.S. Improves Again

This doesn't mean that there is not still cause for concern - or issues yet to be addressed, but the worst is over, whether YOU like it or not.

Ken

Old 07-23-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Really, Ken, you seem to not understand what's going on. The market isn't rallying because there is any kind of 'recovery,' it's rallying because the gov/GS (what's the diff?) needs to pump it up before the Treasury's $229 billion securities auction next week.

Even Bernanke knows there is no recovery. He testified this week that the recession has gotten worse.
BS.

The market is rallying because there has been plenty of encouraging economic news (house prices stabilizing, factory (and home) inventory levels dropping, layoffs decreasing, etc, etc, etc).

And yes, it HAS gotten worse over the last 6 months (DUH!) - that does not mean it's getting worse NOW (DUH!!!!). As I said, we're at the bottom and turning the corner.

Ken

Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,353 times
Quote:
I've said all along that Bush was right to do the bail outs - just as I said he helped the collapse happen in the first place by not paying attention to what was going on and letting the situation deteriorate into a crises.

Now my question to YOU is: Since you seem to blame Obama for the economic crises (even though it started long before Obama was even President) - and are already blaming him for something that hasn't even HAPPENED yet (and most likely won't) - when the "house of cards" doesn't come tumbling down will you give him CREDIT?

Somehow I doubt THAT.

Ken
I have to admit that I was unsure about the bail out but I leaned towards doing it.... if it would avoid or blunt a collapse, it has to be worth it. I was shakey on how much money they were talking about, but, if that's what it took to right the ship... ok.

And, I'll give Bush credit for that. I think Obama improved upon the recovery actions, which still could be approved upon more, but I don't see how anyone could be displeased with the market going up. And again, I'll give Bush credit for starting this. Of course, I think he helped contribute to the situation, but he did start the process that appears to be getting results.

Hopefully, as more stimulus money makes its way into circulation, employment numbers will start to improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies