Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:39 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times

Advertisements

"If, at the end of the day, I don't see that we've got it right, then I won't sign the bill. ... I won't sign a bill that I don't think will work," the president said in a prime-time news conference.

"I understand how easy it is for this town to become consumed in the game of politics, to turn every issue into a running tally of who's up and who's down,
I've heard that one Republican strategist told his party that even though they may want to compromise, it's better politics to go for the kill. Another Republican senator said that defeating health reform is about 'breaking' me."

CongressDaily - Obama Raises Prospect Of Rejecting Flawed Health Bill

Looks like "getting it done" and "getting it right" are different in the current administration, at least on the health bill.

You comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 02:41 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
"If, at the end of the day, I don't see that we've got it right, then I won't sign the bill. ... I won't sign a bill that I don't think will work," the president said in a prime-time news conference.

Looks like "getting it done" and "getting it right" are different in the current administration, at least on the health bill.
lol @ at least with the healthcare bill

Obama wouldnt be just telling you want you wanna hear either

Old 07-23-2009, 02:43 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
BS Alert.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:43 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post

"I understand how easy it is for this town to become consumed in the game of politics, to turn every issue into a running tally of who's up and who's down,
I've heard that one Republican strategist told his party that even though they may want to compromise, it's better politics to go for the kill. Another Republican senator said that defeating health reform is about 'breaking' me."

You comments?
Then why was he in such a rush? Quite a contradicition.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:45 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post

Why do they want to take recess away if they want to get this "right?" Sounds like detention to me for not getting it pushed through.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:49 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
BS Alert.
I agree. His words are entirely contradictory. If he "won't sign a bill" that does not meet his standards, then there was no reason to rush the process to begin with. If the possibilty even existed that he wouldn't sign the bill, then that's every reason to make sure it is not rushed, and instead is thoroughly considered and practically applied. Obama has been called out on the carpet and now he's back-peddling. His words do not mesh.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 07-23-2009 at 03:00 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 02:52 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I agree. His words are entirely contradictory. If we "won't sign a bill" that does not meet his standards, then there was no reason to rush the process to begin with. If the possibilty even existed that he wouldn't sign the bill, then that's every reason to make sure it is not rushed, and instead is thoroughly considered and practically applied. Obama has been called out on the carpet and now he's back-peddling. His words and his actions do not mesh.
They rarely have. But he is a great teleprompter speaker so people listen and nod their heads.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:55 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
You got to love this guy. One minute it's now now now when he is on record he does not even know what it says. Now that he knows he will not get it NOW he is making it look like it was his idea. Demented!

Old 07-23-2009, 02:56 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,152,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Not at all.

There's a clear distinction between signing and passing a Bill quickly, for the sake of just passing it.

And between wanting to pass a Bill that actually addresses the issues and will be effective.

If I suspend my beliefs for a few minutes, then, maybe Obama does truely want to get it right. Maybe he wants it done as quickly as possible, but he wants it done right. That would be the right approach.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:58 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I agree. His words are entirely contradictory. If we "won't sign a bill" that does not meet his standards, then there was no reason to rush the process to begin with. If the possibilty even existed that he wouldn't sign the bill, then that's every reason to make sure it is not rushed, and instead is thoroughly considered and practically applied. Obama has been called out on the carpet and now he's back-peddling. His words do not mesh.
I don't think that he understands that that public option Pelosi is what most people don't like about what he seems to want. Of course, as time goes on more and more people will be wanting to see just how that won't kill the insurance companies and with nothing more than his word it just isn't going to fly.

I love that cartoon that depicts Obama holding that horribly fat hog with the words Health Care on it and saying Fly. Fly. Fly.

I think that many people have come to see that the old "fool me once, Blame me, Fool me twicel However it was that Bush said it. applies here. The Stimulus bill that got passed so quickly with no debate, reading or anything but votes was the first fool me and this one is seen by too many people as the second one and they have to see some discussion and knowledge about this thing before it gets passed. He was just in too much of a hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies