Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I would look for a new insurer. Seriously I have NJ Manufactures for my house and car and have had numerous claims and never once had any issue at all. We have 4 cars on our car insurance and have a $500.00 ded. We have had 3 accidents none of them our fault and no increase, no scolding nothing. Our house is with them also and again we have actually "used" the insurance 3 times and no problem at all. I do know some insurers can be bad but NJM is wonderful.

NJ Manufacturers is the best and you get an annual rebate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,999,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been about 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”

Ben Franklin
And how long has Ben been dead?

What was avant garde in 1776 is now largely reactionary gibberish, as History shows so clearly, as witness the slavery issue.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been about 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”

Ben Franklin

I think we're at the stage I bolded above. Once you become dependent on something you become its slave.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So Franklin didn't believe in democracy. Who cares?

Ummm I think he was cautioning us. He also seems to be spot on.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:36 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Health care is not a right, it is an earned privilege.
Being healthy is a privilege? Didn't know that...what about recent college grads that can't find jobs? What about those that fought in Iraq and now are unemployed? What about the elderly that were helped build this nation? I think they all "earned" healthcare, yet many are denied on the basis of economics, circumstance, and/or the stupid selection process we have in the insurance industry.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
And how long has Ben been dead?

What was avant garde in 1776 is now largely reactionary gibberish, as History shows so clearly, as witness the slavery issue.
Again he wasn't being clever, he was making an observation as a student of history. I would say he was rather visionary. He could very well be talking about us today. I don't see how you come to the conclusion this is reactionsry. It seems quite sensible. If people realize they can vote themselves anything they will.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:40 PM

134 posts, read 231,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Being healthy is a privilege? Didn't know that...what about recent college grads that can't find jobs? What about those that fought in Iraq and now are unemployed? What about the elderly that were helped build this nation? I think they all "earned" healthcare, yet many are denied on the basis of economics, circumstance, and/or the stupid selection process we have in the insurance industry.
Exactly the reasons we need Healthcare access for ALL.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Again he wasn't being clever, he was making an observation as a student of history. I would say he was rather visionary. He could very well be talking about us today. I don't see how you come to the comclusion this is reactionsry. It seems quite sensible. If people realize they can vote themselves anything they will.

Ben never saw the end of the Frontier, which changed everything in the US, from an economic standpoint.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Ben never saw the end of the Frontier, which changed everything in the US, from an economic standpoint.

Doesn't change the basic premise behind the quote. When people realize they can vote themselves money, they will and all the problems that flow from that mindset will befall them.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Doesn't change the basic premise behind the quote. When people realize they can vote themselves money, they will and all the problems that flow from that mindset will befall them.

You have read US History from 1890- present?

Doesn't seem so, based upon your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies