Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Obama Recover From A Disasterous Week?
Yes, He Will Recover and Smash the Republicans 15 21.13%
No, His Presidency Is Over- Jimmy Carter Time! 47 66.20%
Other 9 12.68%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 03:59 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Remember during his campaign how many "bad weeks" he had? How many times had the pundits counted him out ... but it was a marathon over two years.

I have no doubt that, when his presidency is done, he will be as successful as he was on election night (and about 1/3 of the country will still be scared poopless of him).
Also a bit of historical context is needed.

Ronald Reagan's first year was more disastrous than that of Obama or even of Carter, yet he managed to get re-elected by a massive margin. However, in between, the GOP took a big hit in the '82 midterm elections although still retaining control of the Senate, and Dem control of the House was strengthened.

2010 looks to be '82 all over again. I predict a gain of 20-30 seats for the GOP in the House although the Dems will still be in control (they have an 80 seat majority right now). OTOH the Senate truly is a toss up - whoever's in control will have the barest of majorities.

Obama has the "teflon" quality that Reagan had - people like him more than his policies. He'll probably get re-elected, but the Dems should be concerned if Rudy Giuliani runs for the presidency in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 04:55 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
It seems like he needs a crisis to resolve so he can distract the American public. Know of any good aspirin factories he can bomb?

Old 07-25-2009, 05:00 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
I sure had high hopes for Obama's presidency. I'm becoming more and more disillusioned every day. I'm beginning to think that those who said he was not experienced enough may have been correct.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:04 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
i give kevk credit for questioning party leadership. it took many republicans longer to realize that they had a disaster of a president. i do wonder just exactly what part of cap and trade kevk is willing to support since the entire bill is a disaster for the future of the country and is a giant wall street swindle.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:08 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I sure had high hopes for Obama's presidency. I'm becoming more and more disillusioned every day. I'm beginning to think that those who said he was not experienced enough may have been correct.
did u really think one black man was gonna change the course of a dying behemoth empire??

i betcha Hillarity is plotting where to drive the first knife into his back. So does his VP

delusional !!

Old 07-25-2009, 05:13 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
did you think that as a black man he was above being a corporatist? if people look at his record, he voted to bail out the biggest banks during the bailout but chose not to bail out CIT group, which is the largest small business minority lender in the country.
i do agree with CIT bank not being bailed out, but i question why he chose to bail out goldman sachs instead.

Last edited by floridasandy; 07-25-2009 at 06:27 AM..

Old 07-25-2009, 11:26 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Also a bit of historical context is needed.

Ronald Reagan's first year was more disastrous than that of Obama or even of Carter, yet he managed to get re-elected by a massive margin. However, in between, the GOP took a big hit in the '82 midterm elections although still retaining control of the Senate, and Dem control of the House was strengthened.

2010 looks to be '82 all over again. I predict a gain of 20-30 seats for the GOP in the House although the Dems will still be in control (they have an 80 seat majority right now). OTOH the Senate truly is a toss up - whoever's in control will have the barest of majorities.

Obama has the "teflon" quality that Reagan had - people like him more than his policies. He'll probably get re-elected, but the Dems should be concerned if Rudy Giuliani runs for the presidency in 2012.
I would not be concerned about Rudy at all. He is the least threat to the Democrats. He has way too much personal baggage- even his own kids hate him- and his anti gun and pro gay stances will pretty much doom him as a Republican. Sarah would be more of a threat than Rudy. The Republicans do not have a candidate that I can think of that could run and hope to win. At one time Jeb Bush maybe but his brother pretty much ended that.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:32 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,021 times
Almost everyday, Obama shoots himself in the foot.

He's done.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:35 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
First of all I voted for him, worked in the campaign and I will support him fully 100%. But he seems to be making lots and lots of stupid ass errors that are costing him politically dearly. What happened to the Barrack Obama the candidate who was cool, collective and was not prone to making silly stupid errors?
He is starting to look like Jimmy Carter who was rendered completely ineffective. So much so that he was even challenged in the primary by another Democrat.
Let's look at some of the tactical dumb moves:

1. Cap and trade. OK, I can support it BUT if is NOT important to me as a Democrat! It is NOT important to ANY Democrat I know! Working families are not sitting around the supper table talking about "cap and trade". So why did they roll this out NOW? We have other priorities! Stick to the bread and butter issues that effect working people's lives!
2. Health Care. Sen Jim DeMint is absolutely correct! If this goes down in flames, Obama's presidency will pretty much go down with it. It was his number 1 priority. It was many of the voters number 1 priority too. He cannot just say "let's see what Congress comes up with". He needs to provide LEADERSHIP on this and he needs to get it passed by ANY MEANS NECESSARY! If that means by passing the Ways and Means Commitee in the House, do it! If it means using the reconciliation rule in the Senate, DO IT! Your presidency is at stake as is the middle class of the country. Get it to the floor and get it passed!
3. The cop remark. The press conference he called was supposed to be about HEALTH CARE. Obama or his Press Secretary should have made it CLEAR to the reporters before that no off subject questions would be accepted. And, even when asked about it, Obama should have simply said "I do not know enough to comment on it because I was not there". But he said what he said and- what is EVERYBODY discussing today?? Not the first 40 minutes of the press conference but the last question! A blown news cycle and possible damage to health care.

Do you think Obama can recover and win his battles??
I thought that your poll was flawed, b/c you would have to assume that his Presidency was up in flames already. He's only been in office for 6 months, too soon to say that he's failing already. i would expect more from you, kev k.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:40 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i give kevk credit for questioning party leadership. it took many republicans longer to realize that they had a disaster of a president. i do wonder just exactly what part of cap and trade kevk is willing to support since the entire bill is a disaster for the future of the country and is a giant wall street swindle.
I said I "could" support it if it is good for the future of the country and IF the other countries like China and India agree to it as well. I don't know enough about it and I suspect most Democrats don't either. Like I said, it is not something we discuss at the supper table. It is not a priority. Figuring out how we are going to pay for the kid's college and health insurance IS what we discuss and IS a priority. That is why I say that Cap and Trade could have waited until year 2 or even year 3. Why bring that up right now at such a crucial time when we are trying to get healthcare through?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies