Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post

What for? Didn't many of our ancestors leave there centuries ago for something better (which wasn't too bad until about the late 90s, as the root of current mess is directly traceable to the Billary administration).
That was like 300 years ago. Europe was a kingdom and religion was controlled by the Church of England then. Now it is a liberal democracy and largely secular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 AM
obo

916 posts, read 985,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
Loving the change right now...finally doing some things that will benefit the entire county and not just the rich. when Health care passes, Obamas first year in office may go down as the most productive.
LOL! Truly priceless!

Old 07-28-2009, 11:18 AM
obo

916 posts, read 985,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We are not giving it away to anybody. But we do need to move in a more European direction.
F Europe..Who wants to be like them? If you do so much, just move there.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:23 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,216 times
Europe is a failure.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:24 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
"I cannot believe the damage this man has done to my country."

Which "red shirt lady" are you? The McCain rally lady or the birfer lady?
Don't get too upset with them, after all they have driven all of the decent conservatives from the GOP and turned it into a guaranteed Fringe Party.
I am upset because I wass once proud to be a Republican before it decended into madness

Old 07-28-2009, 02:41 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
F Europe..Who wants to be like them? If you do so much, just move there.
What Europe does works for the vast majority of people there. They have happier longer lives than we do. That is why we need to move more in that direction.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:32 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
What Europe does works for the vast majority of people there. They have happier longer lives than we do. That is why we need to move more in that direction.
Have you ever been there? IMO after living there for a month I would not describe it as a happier place than the USA. They mostly just exist.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:37 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Have you ever been there? IMO after living there for a month I would not describe it as a happier place than the USA. They mostly just exist.
Exactly. People who come up with these crack pot utopia ideas about Europe have experienced it through tv, travel magazines, or vacations. I lived there, for years. The Brits were the most, how shall I say, "apathetic." So much of this "oh well, that's just the way it is" settling sort of stuff. No real ambition in the sense that Americans understand. Really just existing. Very sad and no thanks.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:40 PM

132 posts, read 159,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I cannot believe the damage this man has done to my country. And it is just started, it makes me sick that so many people fell for his lies and looks.
And we haven't seen all secret desires yet!!!!!! He kept them covered so well.
My #1 secret desire is to learn how to clip my fingernails using the same hand as my fingernails are on.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:46 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Are you impatient? Do you need your ADHD medicine?

He inherited a mountain of horror. It cant all be corrected in the space of a sitcom.

That's true. Carter and Clinton simply passed on the terrorism issue. Would have been a whole lot easier for both Bush Presidents if Carter had done his job in 1979 by installing a new government in Iran. We could have avoided five wars that way. Would have been nice if Clinton had adequately funded the CIA and provided a clear mission for them to go after al Qaeda (the same organization that attacked us five times during the Clinton presidency) instead of leaving if for Bush to handle. Mind you, I don't blame the CIA. They did the best they could do with inadequate funding and a 25% attrition rate during Bubba's two terms. I guess protecting us from terrorists wasn't one of Clinton's priorities.

9/11 was the result of decades of weak, PC and liberal foreign policy aimed at making the rest of the world like us. We deliberately did not stick our nose in the Iranian's business in 1979 over the insistence of Brzezinski that we act to install a new government. How did that work out for the millions who died in the wars that followed? Is Iran free? Has Iran been at peace since 1979? That is what happens when we try to make the world our friends. Everyone gets screwed in the end.

The sub-prime melt down was avoidable too. When will liberals realize that government involvement in the free market always has unintended consequences. Sometimes they are very damaging like the New Deals that kept unemployment in double digits until the military draft was reinstated in 1940 by depriving the real economy of life giving investment dollars throughout the Great Depression. Fannie started out a great idea to provide liquidity to the housing sector, but it has become unmanageable. Even recent attempts to rein it in by by President Bush starting in 2001 and every year there after and later by Sen McCain and others (S.190) were met with disdain since Raines already had capitol hill on his payroll. In fact, BO was one of his favorite clients along with Dodd, Frank, Pelosi and Waters. The CRA added to the problem by forcing banks to lend to uncreditworthy blacks and Reno was sent on a mission to oversee enforcement, hello NINJA loan. Clinton signed the financial securities modernization act and the rest is toxic asset history.

So let's see, if government screwing around with the economy caused the melt-down the solution must be more government intervention in the banking industry, the auto industry, the health care industry and every sector of the economy that uses energy or labor. If the sever recession of the early 1930s was made worse by raising taxes, thereby drying up private sector investment, the same New Deal strategy will have a positive outcome today, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies