Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:06 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
what is not so funny is African American comprise the single largest group of minority Veterans. Maybe their got their priorities wrong ?, how many Asian and Indian families send their sons to fight for this country that has been so generous to them ?....

.... America could do better for Blacks who have displayed such a historic duty to fighting for their country at higher rate than any other minority group.
I would like to see a link to the statistics that show this. I think that you may find that you are wrong.

And, I can tell you where to find it. It's on the Dept. of Defense website.

I had an occasion to study them (the statistics). What I found was that African Americans were proportionately represented - pretty much all groups where proportionately represented, except Hispanics that were 1 or 2 % lower than their representation in the population (which is not that bad).

So, if you are going to make this statement, back it up with the link to the statistics to prove it. (You made the statement).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 04:21 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
YOU are incorrect. Those are the Scotch-Irish. A whole different set of pejoration against them.

But they're all Presbyterians now...lol.
Those were the 'Irish' who came to this country:

Scotch-Irish American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The term "Scotch-Irish" is an Americanism, almost unknown in Britain and Ireland, and refers to Irish Protestant immigrants from Ulster to America during the 1700s. An estimated 200,000 or more Scotch-Irish migrated to America in the 18th century.[2] The majority of these immigrants were descended from Scottish and English families who had been transplanted to Ireland during the Plantation of Ulster in the 1600s.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
From what I understand, the neighbors called 911 because they saw what appears to be a person breaking into a home. I wonder how Gates would have reacted had it been an actual intruder attempting to break in and the police did nothing? Some folks are too quick to cry racism and not realize that folks are just doing their jobs.
What's this! Common sense? No fair!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:57 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
If the white people on this board are an indication of the rest of the populous, why would black people even want to associate with you? Your criticism comes off as vitriol as opposed to constructive.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
If the white people on this board are an indication of the rest of the populous, why would black people even want to associate with you? Your criticism comes off as vitriol as opposed to constructive.
And vice versa, my friend!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:55 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
There are very few level heads on the MB. Many people just come here to vent and argue. This little "cyber-world" is not a good representation of the real world. Both sides are guilty of it.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:57 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
Quote:

No need to go on any further because thankfully CD is NOT an indication of that.

This is just part of the daily or weekly quota some have in starting a thread on black people and the chance for others to keep trying to justify their feelings.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:01 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
You are making way too many assumptions in this post. I have only been posting here for a short time, but I am honestly astounded by the number of times that I have had to state this: blacks are not a monolithic group. I have never been in a situation where every single black person thought exactly the same thing. Even during the OJ case I knew several family members, including myself, who thought he was guilty! It's time for people to step out of their boxes, and actually meet the diverse black people who live in this country.
I think the media helps massage the stereotype, by running out to get one of the race hustlers, the Sharptons and Jacksons, every time their is an incident that might appear to have a remote possibility of being race driven. For people who live in predominately nonblack areas of the country, all they see to represent blacks is Sharpton screaming thru his megaphone. And the other night we had 0bama sounding like Sharpton-lite.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:50 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
After witnessing the blatant pandering to racial fears of the Republican Party for the past half century, why would anyone black want to vote for them?
The word "sheep" comes to mind but thats just me!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:58 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
You've got to be kidding me! Any criticism from whites towards blacks regardless of how true it may be will be meet with vitriol from a majority of blacks. The "how dare you" mindset! This goes back to my original post, blacks and I should have said most not ALL, support each other regardless of the situation. Ducking and dogging this FACT doesnt take away from the truth of the statement! Hell even when blacks stand up and condemn actions within the black comminity they are targeted and told to shut up! Bill Cosby anyone????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies