Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Obama Recover From A Disasterous Week?
Yes, He Will Recover and Smash the Republicans 15 21.13%
No, His Presidency Is Over- Jimmy Carter Time! 47 66.20%
Other 9 12.68%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:02 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

First of all I voted for him, worked in the campaign and I will support him fully 100%. But he seems to be making lots and lots of stupid ass errors that are costing him politically dearly. What happened to the Barrack Obama the candidate who was cool, collective and was not prone to making silly stupid errors?
He is starting to look like Jimmy Carter who was rendered completely ineffective. So much so that he was even challenged in the primary by another Democrat.
Let's look at some of the tactical dumb moves:

1. Cap and trade. OK, I can support it BUT if is NOT important to me as a Democrat! It is NOT important to ANY Democrat I know! Working families are not sitting around the supper table talking about "cap and trade". So why did they roll this out NOW? We have other priorities! Stick to the bread and butter issues that effect working people's lives!
2. Health Care. Sen Jim DeMint is absolutely correct! If this goes down in flames, Obama's presidency will pretty much go down with it. It was his number 1 priority. It was many of the voters number 1 priority too. He cannot just say "let's see what Congress comes up with". He needs to provide LEADERSHIP on this and he needs to get it passed by ANY MEANS NECESSARY! If that means by passing the Ways and Means Commitee in the House, do it! If it means using the reconciliation rule in the Senate, DO IT! Your presidency is at stake as is the middle class of the country. Get it to the floor and get it passed!
3. The cop remark. The press conference he called was supposed to be about HEALTH CARE. Obama or his Press Secretary should have made it CLEAR to the reporters before that no off subject questions would be accepted. And, even when asked about it, Obama should have simply said "I do not know enough to comment on it because I was not there". But he said what he said and- what is EVERYBODY discussing today?? Not the first 40 minutes of the press conference but the last question! A blown news cycle and possible damage to health care.

Do you think Obama can recover and win his battles??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 12:06 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Um, I really think everyone is over reacting about that cop thing. If you're going to use that as a basis of a presidents popularity or ability to do his job, that's pretty sad.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:33 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
....Do you think Obama can recover and win his battles??
He can recover but it may take replacing some of his staff.

Sometimes it seems like Amateur Hour in the White House these days.

Look at all of the bumblings when it came to hiring people, as just one example.

Granted, he's never been in a leadership position of any substance (i.e governor, head of a firm, military officer, etc) and that certainly doesn't help. Being a Celebrity Senator isn't enough for success in the long haul.

Being good at speechifying is for campaigns, not leading a nation.

Last edited by doc1; 07-24-2009 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 12:34 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Well, we all have bad weeks...Sometimes those bad weeks cause us to analyze what it is we're doing wrong, and try a different tack.

That is the challenge he has to face at this point. If he is incapable, or too arrogant to be somewhat introspective, he will continue on his way to Carter-like mediocrity. He has a great start toward that now, and I for one figure by the end of the first term, the citizens will be all to happy to be rid of this one.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:39 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Well, we all have bad weeks...Sometimes those bad weeks cause us to analyze what it is we're doing wrong, and try a different tack.

That is the challenge he has to face at this point. If he is incapable, or too arrogant to be somewhat introspective, he will continue on his way to Carter-like mediocrity. He has a great start toward that now, and I for one figure by the end of the first term, the citizens will be all to happy to be rid of this one.
This is true. If this really is a bad time for him right now, it's not exactly a secret. I'm assuming he & his staff are rethinking things right now. I have faith in him.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:42 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Its not the cop thing as much as his remarks about racial inequalities. He chose to go on about blacks & Latino's getting stopped more often than whites without acknowledging the logic of that happening given that blacks & Latins are involved in crime disproportionately.
To me its no biggie, I already knew he was a racial activist unfit for the big seat.
He looked pretty smug up there going on about his excellent health care. Bafoon, he can well aford his own & if he cared about the economy would be cutting back on his & congressional coverage, as he notes that private business does when times get tight. The company he is running (the USA) is bankrupt, mostly because of our political leadership, or lack there of. But instead of cutting the size of it & trying to lessen the burden he is spending like there is no tommorow. He's no less clueless than Bush except he has a different constituency to use until they see thru his crapola..

Old 07-24-2009, 12:43 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
If he stops appointing Mansanto lovin' agribusiness types to "protect" us from the evils of big farming and he actually walks the walk on peace instead of WAR, then maybe I'll associate him with "change".

Until then, Obama = Bush.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:45 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
First of all I voted for him, worked in the campaign and I will support him fully 100%. But he seems to be making lots and lots of stupid ass errors that are costing him politically dearly. What happened to the Barrack Obama the candidate who was cool, collective and was not prone to making silly stupid errors?
He is starting to look like Jimmy Carter who was rendered completely ineffective. So much so that he was even challenged in the primary by another Democrat.
Let's look at some of the tactical dumb moves:

1. Cap and trade. OK, I can support it BUT if is NOT important to me as a Democrat! It is NOT important to ANY Democrat I know! Working families are not sitting around the supper table talking about "cap and trade". So why did they roll this out NOW? We have other priorities! Stick to the bread and butter issues that effect working people's lives!
2. Health Care. Sen Jim DeMint is absolutely correct! If this goes down in flames, Obama's presidency will pretty much go down with it. It was his number 1 priority. It was many of the voters number 1 priority too. He cannot just say "let's see what Congress comes up with". He needs to provide LEADERSHIP on this and he needs to get it passed by ANY MEANS NECESSARY! If that means by passing the Ways and Means Commitee in the House, do it! If it means using the reconciliation rule in the Senate, DO IT! Your presidency is at stake as is the middle class of the country. Get it to the floor and get it passed!
3. The cop remark. The press conference he called was supposed to be about HEALTH CARE. Obama or his Press Secretary should have made it CLEAR to the reporters before that no off subject questions would be accepted. And, even when asked about it, Obama should have simply said "I do not know enough to comment on it because I was not there". But he said what he said and- what is EVERYBODY discussing today?? Not the first 40 minutes of the press conference but the last question! A blown news cycle and possible damage to health care.

Do you think Obama can recover and win his battles??
He's making stupid mistakes, yet you will support him 100% - why?

Old 07-24-2009, 12:46 PM

439 posts, read 443,286 times
Quote:
What happened to the Barrack Obama the candidate who was ...collective ....?
He still is.

Very much so.

His collective tendencies are still intact and very much in play.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:48 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Other
He's fumbling like Carter but the Limbaugh Lemmings have so destroyed the Republican Party that they will not be able to do anything but grumble
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies