Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:34 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,333 times

Advertisements

How do you expect people to compromise when people have views that are based on ignorance, lack of education and myths (religion)?. I am not a hateful person but I do not see how I could possibly compromise with the cowboy who would rather die than get some health care under Obama. As much as I try to understand his twisted mind, then I start to realize that there is probably some underlying reasons why he would rather die than get treatment, maybe because the president is Black, who knows, see where I am going with this? I know there are many Liberals who dislike Conservatives yet they do not know much about their ideology. I know all the Conservative talking points and I disagree with maybe 95% of them. How can one pretend to be ignorant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 08:42 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
How do you expect people to compromise when people have views that are based on ignorance, lack of education
We on the other side think the same of you and your ideology.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:52 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This forum really shows how divided our country is today. It seems like just about any discussion here turns into partisan rivalry. I have really tried to understand the Conservative/GOP side, I listen to Conservative talk show radio all day long and I still do not agree with just about any of their ideas. I wish there was something we could do to make our country a more united one but I tend to be very passionate about my views and I do not agree with their ideology at all. How can we unite our country?
The country has always been divided between conservatives and liberals, that will always be. At any point in time the true people in the middle swing like a pendulum to one side or the other. What liberals and conservatives fail to understand i it is a pendulum that is always in motion. Probably about 12% of the voting public is actually centrists. As one side takes power and goes to far in their direction the pendulum begins to return . Reagan years were the height of the pendulum to the right, Bush was snot a conservative on the economy and the pendulum had already began to move that direction. Obama is a result of that pendulum being pushed to the left and it has already shown signs of changing back.

When Clinton was impeached the left decided the only alternative was to defeat the right through bringing them down rather than being positive with their own ideas. It took the left 8 years of blaming bush to bring the pendulum to the left side. The right has learned the lesson well that the quickest way to change the pendulum is to attack the left rather than talk about what the right can do. So the country is divided by the philosophy that one side must attack the other side in order to gain power.

Palin so far has been the exception i do not see her attacking the left i see her talking about th positives of being Conservative. Thus her appeal to the right, and the fear from the left has has already decided not to attack her positions but to attack her and her family.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:19 AM

21 posts, read 44,208 times
Quote:
This forum really shows how divided our country is today. It seems like just about any discussion here turns into partisan rivalry. I have really tried to understand the Conservative/GOP side, I listen to Conservative talk show radio all day long and I still do not agree with just about any of their ideas. I wish there was something we could do to make our country a more united one but I tend to be very passionate about my views and I do not agree with their ideology at all. How can we unite our country?
You know what dude, I am a liberal, but I think you're an a$$. I DO NOT push my views, just like I don't want the right to push theirs on mine. You posting here, and saying these things just adds flames to the fire. Thanks for making the divide worse.

So do us all a favor, ****, sit down, and let the adults figure this out.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:10 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
note: this is a mirror post
I've read several of your posts in other threads and you are very partisan in your viewpoints and have bashed conservatives. Maybe you need to look at the man/woman in the mirror before you judge others for being partisan.
I have bashed conservatives????? LOL! I'm a conservative in case you weren't aware of that fact. Anyhow, I'm not judging anyone, I was just pointing out the OP hypocrisy.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 AM

134 posts, read 231,476 times
Quote:
Look, that's what makes this country great. Freedom of speech and the freedom of expression. Come on now...do we ALL want to think the SAME. Noooooooo. Republicans for me are on the opposite side of the fence when it comes to my beliefs. HOWEVER, a McCain, Crist or Rudy Guiliani will said something that makes sense. It's called debate. Divided....in thoses terms this country was and will always be "divided". It's called discussion of ideas and opinions. You want everyone in agreement, go to Cuba.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:12 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Less government intervention, give me a break. Trying to ban gay marriage, illegal wire taps, and cramming their version of Christianity and family values down everyones throats, I don't call that less intervention.
It's not banning homosexual "marriage," it is defining marriage as between one man and one woman, as it should be.
Wire taps have been going on since the 1970s; was it illegal when it was done under the Clinton administration?
As for family values, we need that stressed now more than ever!

Quote:
Less taxes, yeah thats good, however not during war time. GWB was the first President in history to lower taxes during a time of war. Thats just stupid. Not to mention the fact that disproportionatley gave most of the tax breaks to the richest of Americans.
I sure hope this myth dies out someday. The wealthiest Americans paid MORE in taxes, by percent, after Bush's two tax cuts than before.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:47 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,413,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It's not banning homosexual "marriage," it is defining marriage as between one man and one woman, as it should be.
Wire taps have been going on since the 1970s; was it illegal when it was done under the Clinton administration?
As for family values, we need that stressed now more than ever!

I sure hope this myth dies out someday. The wealthiest Americans paid MORE in taxes, by percent, after Bush's two tax cuts than before.
Lol thats really your excuse for banning homosexual marriage? You have absolutely nothing to back up that marriage should be between a man and a woman rather than a man and a man/ woman and a woman other than your own personal beliefs. And that is the MO of the republican party, to push their personal beliefs on the rest of America.

You say we need the government to teach us family values? What are families for then? I don't want the government telling me how to live my life, or anyone else how to live theirs. So get out of here with your prejudices and forcing your views on the rest of us, and let Americans live their lives how they choose.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:06 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I don't think people on message boards are a good example of the average American. Many people com on here looking for a fight. I know many people on the left and and the right. 90% of them do not scour the Internet for the smallest shred of evidence to validate their position. There is allot of crap websites out there.

In the last 2-4 years I've noticed a big division and it's getting uglier by the month. But it's NOTHING like this message board out there.
I understand what you are saying but IMO the people on this board at least care about what is going on and they are passionate about politics.
IMO, there are far too few of us!
The average American hasn't a clue as to what is happening and that is a dangerous thing.
I say pat yourselves on the back boarders, no matter what your beliefs

Old 07-27-2009, 07:18 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
[quote=nickeldude;9968583]
Quote:
Lol thats really your excuse for banning homosexual marriage? You have absolutely nothing to back up that marriage should be between a man and a woman rather than a man and a man/ woman and a woman other than your own personal beliefs. And that is the MO of the republican party, to push their personal beliefs on the rest of America.
Hundreds of thousands of years of human sociological evolution have dictated that one man/one woman is the optimum. Besides the opinion that "It's just not fair" What do you have?

Quote:
You say we need the government to teach us family values? What are families for then? I don't want the government telling me how to live my life, or anyone else how to live theirs. So get out of here with your prejudices and forcing your views on the rest of us, and let Americans live their lives how they choose.
He didn't say anything about the government teaching family values. As far as forcing our views on anyone. It is those who want to change the status quo who are forcing their views on everyone else.
That is called Sociology 101!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies