U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-26-2009, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
29,072 posts, read 16,921,531 times
Reputation: 9195

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
That's right! Scare the pants off of the new generation so that they have a chance not to follow in the footsteps of their moron predecessors that mucked up the planet. My nieces and nephews do not seem to be spooked due to ecological education. Now tell me that the movie Wall-E gave kids nightmares. What a pathetically weak argument!
The argument is whether or not the children are being given the facts and the truth, and allowed to come to their own conclusions. Or whether they are just being scared into thinking the world is coming to an end, by adults who have an ideological or political agenda. Its not a pathetic argument, nor is it a weak one either.

However, creating a straw man argument about fictional people trying to scare children with the movie Wall-E, to bolster your position, is pathetic and weak.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2009, 04:33 PM
 
41,817 posts, read 46,529,636 times
Reputation: 17776
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Fortunately my advanced schooling allows me to understand 1. Advanced photography techniques and the various ways to manipulate them, and 2. When a company is emiting toxic fumes. I actually prefer to rely upon the data in Toxic Chemical Release Inventory.

Then why the need for the deceptive image? Certainly with all your "advanced schooling" you could offer some discussion on the subject instead of resorting to images that are only meant to deceive. For example I could produce an image without such plumes and declare "see how clean it is" but that wouldn't be fair and I wouldn't resort to such tactics simply because it's not honest.

There's already enough propaganda being bandied about from the media, environmentalist groups and many other places. We certainly don't need anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
9,043 posts, read 12,252,871 times
Reputation: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Then why the need for the deceptive image? Certainly with all your "advanced schooling" you could offer some discussion on the subject instead of resorting to images that are only meant to deceive. For example I could produce an image without such plumes and declare "see how clean it is" but that wouldn't be fair and I wouldn't resort to such tactics simply because it's not honest.

There's already enough propaganda being bandied about from the media, environmentalist groups and many other places. We certainly don't need anymore.
The "advanced schooling" comes from the some BS emitting "university" as used car salesmen come from.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 04:41 PM
 
2,659 posts, read 2,739,766 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Standard Al-Gore-ithm for dealing with global warming/climate change/term du jour deniers:

Believer: claims consensus among scientists is proof enough
Denier: says consensus is not considered scientific proof
Believer: claims that Denier's opinion is not valid because they are not an esteemed scientist
Denier: recites the scientific theory and repeats on how (Believer) isn't acknowledging the he/she is using scientists' opinions as opposed to cited proof
Believer: makes fun of Denier's intelligence, utilizing trendy elitist terms such as "redneck", "Bush supporter", "neocon", etc
Denier: shrugs at how Believer descended into childish tactics Pee-Wee Herman himself would be proud of.
The denier has zero knowledge but has convinced himself that he is an expert. Taking that person's opinion is like asking the D student to explain chemistry.

They weren't paying attention when they were kids.
They don't pay attention now.
Bad students are bad students and should take time to be quiet and learn for a change.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 04:45 PM
 
41,817 posts, read 46,529,636 times
Reputation: 17776
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
The "advanced schooling" comes from the some BS emitting "university" as used car salesmen come from.
On that subject it's been my experience people who try use a degree or brag about their intellect are those with little to brag about it. Wise and knowledgable people don't need to do that simply because it's quite evident. The very smartest people I have known are quite humble about their intelligence. I've met quite a few people with the "I'm smarter than you attitude" because of my previous ownership of my coal business, most assumed I was the hired help and thought they were talking to dumb ass. It's amazing how fast attitudes change when they would find out you were the owner.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
9,043 posts, read 12,252,871 times
Reputation: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
The denier has zero knowledge but has convinced himself that he is an expert. Taking that person's opinion is like asking the D student to explain chemistry.

They weren't paying attention when they were kids.
They don't pay attention now.
Bad students are bad students and should take time to be quiet and learn for a change.
The Believer has zero knowledge but either has "friends" or "knows people" who are scientists (or stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night ).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
9,043 posts, read 12,252,871 times
Reputation: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
On that subject it's been my experience people who try use a degree or brag about their intellect are those with little to brag about it. Wise and knowledgable people don't need to do that simply because it's quite evident. The very smartest people I have known are quite humble about their intelligence. I've met quite a few people with the "I'm smarter than you attitude" because of my previous ownership of my coal business, most assumed I was the hired help and thought they were talking to dumb ass. It's amazing how fast attitudes change when they would find out you were the owner.
Most people on CD do not believe that I hold a doctorate or am a comp sci professor, since I hold opinions on some issues that align with the "redneck racist GOP". Considering that folks brag about being millionaires or making extremely high incomes, why would someone lie about being a middle to middle upper income college instructor?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 04:58 PM
 
1,352 posts, read 1,825,564 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
the denier has zero knowledge but has convinced himself that he is an expert. Taking that person's opinion is like asking the d student to explain chemistry.

They weren't paying attention when they were kids.
They don't pay attention now.
Bad students are bad students and should take time to be quiet and learn for a change
.


3,000 Low Temp Records Set This July!...Global Warming....LOL..LOL..LOL-rainforestman.jpg
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
9,793 posts, read 10,923,535 times
Reputation: 9717
Anyone who regularly attends a medium to large sized church know of several people with several more added each week that are receiving cancer diagnosies. The industrialists of the last and present generation have already put enough poison in our water and air and soil to make concerns about "global warming" (i.e. climate breakdown) of merely secondary importance. One thing modern humans lost in becoming "intelligent" was the inbuilt concern for our progeny that led us to this point. If acton about "global warming" didn't 'cost money' there wouldn't be all this 'denial' but too many have a vested interest in the status quo and they are willing to forfeit their offsprings right to a reasonable quality of life on this planet in order to continue the flagrantly wasteful and harmful patterns that have become established.

I remember whan airbags were an expletive and carmakers lobbied hard to not have to have them in their products. How times change. Now passengers, rear seat occupants, side impact... ... can't put enough of those airbags into one vehicle. All it took was the DOT to make them mandatory and since all cars had to have them, then it wasn't long before the one upmanship began. All we have to do is figure out how to make alternative energy products pay and our climate problems are solved... I actually know how to cure cancer too. End payments to pharmaceutical companies for paliatives. End them. Not half, not 1/4, .... zero. Anything that isn't a 'cure' becomes good will and is provided free of charge to the patient.

H
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 07:59 PM
 
27,624 posts, read 19,456,045 times
Reputation: 11076
[quote=Wapasha;9961988]The argument is whether or not the children are being given the facts and the truth, and allowed to come to their own conclusions. Or whether they are just being scared into thinking the world is coming to an end, by adults who have an ideological or political agenda. Its not a pathetic argument, nor is it a weak one either.

However, creating a straw man argument about fictional people trying to scare children with the movie Wall-E, to bolster your position, is pathetic and weak.[/QUOTE]



I have no idea what this statement means. It is nonsensical.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 07-26-2009 at 08:10 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top