Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 12:34 PM

68,298 posts, read 54,154,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Freightliner is one company, there are thousands in the US that are trying to compete with foreign labor. For some reason Japanese companies are using American workers and thriving. Their wages are competitive. I don’t know all the details, but I don’t think the workers are hurting, or working for minimum wage.
That's why I don't buy it's government regulation of the vehicles creating the problem, foreign made vehicles must meet the same standards.

Quote:
As for the other outsourcing, I know that IT workers have taken a beating since the late 90’s and continue to lose jobs. There are other jobs in that are just now getting outsourced that weren’t effected before.

It may be that the American worker has to take a stand and say no more. This can’t be stopped by the government, elections only provide another version of the same. This has to be done by Americans standing up as saying I will not put up with this outsourcing any more.
How do you stand in front of the ship that's taking the tools you use to do your job halfway around the world?

The scary thing is that one of the big reasons we were able to prevail in WWII was our manufacturing capability, that seems to be on a path to extinction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 12:40 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,447,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
And what do they intend to do about it besides wait for the government to fix it for them? This handwriting has been on the wall for many years before 2000. Manufacturing jobs peaked in June 1979 according the Congressional Budget Office and the AFL-CIO.

I'm guessing their unions haven't encouraged them to get training and education to do something else because that wouldn't be in the unions' best interest.

Anti-union, are we? There's of course another side to the coin.

As RedNC mentioned, the Japanese continue to increase their investment in American-based plant and production. Why aren't American companies doing the same? Why would American management prefer to chase the cheapest labor instead of invest in smarter production? Answer: less competent management. Our nation should expect the holders of capital to be better American citizens than this.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:27 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,734,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've understood all along, the problem isn't some standards that you brought up to take a shot at Clinton, the problem is labor's cheaper in other countries and they'd be producing there emissions standards or not.
I didn’t take a shot at your supreme leader. I’m just showing one of the few decisions he made in signing that bill is effecting workers now.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:54 PM

68,298 posts, read 54,154,649 times
Quote:
I didn’t take a shot at your supreme leader. I’m just showing one of the few decisions he made in signing that bill is effecting workers now.

How is it that these emissions standards you claim are the problem are met by foreign manufacturers? The problem is competing with foreign manufacturing costs, not the standards which must be met by all. But that doesn't allow a shot at someone, does it?

BTW, the only supreme leader I've ever considered one is Diana Ross

Old 09-25-2007, 05:39 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,734,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
How is it that these emissions standards you claim are the problem are met by foreign manufacturers? The problem is competing with foreign manufacturing costs, not the standards which must be met by all. But that doesn't allow a shot at someone, does it?

BTW, the only supreme leader I've ever considered one is Diana Ross
Did you know that Freightliner builds BIG RIG trucks not Toyota mini trucks. I don’t know of any foreign truck manufacturers that are building BIG RIG trucks in the US, much less building them to meet the new emissions standards.
Freightliner isn’t the only US manufacturer that is having problems.
Big Rig Emission Changes May Hurt Makers (CMI,OSK,VOLV) *|* August 14, 2007 *|*By Mark Whistler - Investopedia Advisor

I didn’t take a shot at your glorious leader, just clarified that the reason for Freightliners problems were the result of legislation he signed not something that Bush did. Nothing more.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:32 PM

77,956 posts, read 60,134,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Anti-union, are we? There's of course another side to the coin.

As RedNC mentioned, the Japanese continue to increase their investment in American-based plant and production. Why aren't American companies doing the same? Why would American management prefer to chase the cheapest labor instead of invest in smarter production? Answer: less competent management. Our nation should expect the holders of capital to be better American citizens than this.
There is a degree of truth to this. Outsourcing is "BIG" and I think a number of companies jumped on it as proof they were doing the right thing. Many places have had it bite them hard and some jobs will wind up back in the US as a result. Additionally, wages in other countries are rising making using India etc. a less attractive option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies