Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 05:24 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,230 times

Advertisements

'Many consumers, trapped in a whirlpool of debt, interest payments, and fees spiraling out of control, finally see the light of preemptive defaults and elect to walk away.

Like many who default, Ms. Birks first asked her credit card company to lower her 19 percent interest rate. No dice, Bank of America responded. After she tried to get the bank’s attention by skipping a payment, it immediately raised her rate to 25 percent. As Ms. Birks’ debt swelled, so did a sense of injustice mingled with helplessness.

Ms. Birks asked Bank of America about a settlement this spring. Since her account was up to date, she was told she didn’t qualify. She stopped paying, the bank started calling.

When Bank of America finally got her on the phone, it agreed for the first time to drastically reduce her interest rate. She did not take the deal, but considered it progress.

More than likely it is now too late. Instead of negotiating an interest rate reduction, Ms. Birks probably wants a balance adjustment as well. And this is what Bank of America and all the banks deserve. It's no wonder its default rate is up to a whopping 13.8%.

Debt Slave Act of 2005 Comes Back To Haunt Banks

The Debt Slave act of 2005, officially known as the "Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005" has come back to bite banks big time.

Banks asked for and got their dream list of everything they wanted in that bill, including a "means test" making it very hard for consumers to walk away from debt, at least in theory.

Of course theory is one thing and practice is another as Ms. Birks and those like her clearly show. Also note that with unemployment at 9.5% and rising, many can now easily pass even the most stringent of "means tests".

Last week I received an email update from Jon Maddux, CEO, of You Walk Away

Hello Mish,

I hope all is well. I thought you might want an update. About 90% people who sign up for our service now days, are "A" paper good credit borrowers who can afford their mortgages, but they just don't think it makes sense to keep paying. The rest either already got a loan modification and didn't get a principal reduction or just really can't afford to own any longer. I wish you the best!

Kind regards,

Jon Maddux
CEO

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Preemptive Defaults
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 05:29 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
'Many consumers, trapped in a whirlpool of debt, interest payments, and fees spiraling out of control, finally see the light of preemptive defaults and elect to walk away.

Like many who default, Ms. Birks first asked her credit card company to lower her 19 percent interest rate. No dice, Bank of America responded. After she tried to get the bank’s attention by skipping a payment, it immediately raised her rate to 25 percent. As Ms. Birks’ debt swelled, so did a sense of injustice mingled with helplessness.

Ms. Birks asked Bank of America about a settlement this spring. Since her account was up to date, she was told she didn’t qualify. She stopped paying, the bank started calling.

When Bank of America finally got her on the phone, it agreed for the first time to drastically reduce her interest rate. She did not take the deal, but considered it progress.

More than likely it is now too late. Instead of negotiating an interest rate reduction, Ms. Birks probably wants a balance adjustment as well. And this is what Bank of America and all the banks deserve. It's no wonder its default rate is up to a whopping 13.8%.

Debt Slave Act of 2005 Comes Back To Haunt Banks

The Debt Slave act of 2005, officially known as the "Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005" has come back to bite banks big time.

Banks asked for and got their dream list of everything they wanted in that bill, including a "means test" making it very hard for consumers to walk away from debt, at least in theory.

Of course theory is one thing and practice is another as Ms. Birks and those like her clearly show. Also note that with unemployment at 9.5% and rising, many can now easily pass even the most stringent of "means tests".

Last week I received an email update from Jon Maddux, CEO, of You Walk Away

Hello Mish,

I hope all is well. I thought you might want an update. About 90% people who sign up for our service now days, are "A" paper good credit borrowers who can afford their mortgages, but they just don't think it makes sense to keep paying. The rest either already got a loan modification and didn't get a principal reduction or just really can't afford to own any longer. I wish you the best!

Kind regards,

Jon Maddux
CEO

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Preemptive Defaults
A home is easier to walk away from than credit card debt. You can move to Canada and never use your SSN again. I think that works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies