Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
A big part of the reason is that hospitals must pay for the uninsured, indigent folks who fill their emergency rooms. They cannot get blood out those "turnips", so they bleed those with insurance instead. Another good argument for universal (non-profit) health care, in my opinion!
Well if there indigent they probably qualify for medicaid. You don't have to be indigent to be uninsured, but that really does not explain why it cost that much in a private hospital that does not take the uninsured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
Doctor should charge 800 dollars to fix the leg and if we had a free market we could see different rates.
Xray costs 200 dollars, this is not new technology people.
Hospital should charge per hour at $10 per hour that you there in care. So if there there for 24 hours that will be 240 dollars.
If want to throw in a malpractice surcharge that is 100 dollars and 50 dollars for paperwork.
Done

Old 07-27-2009, 02:01 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well apparently they can fix a broken arm in Belgium for $250. They must be in tents, using trained monkeys, and fig leaves. Do you know how long it takes to fix a broken arm (not a compound fracture). Take an X ray, look at the X ray, take the vitals, and if no complications put the cast on and you are out of there. I don't care if payments are 10K or 26K. $250 seems more than fair for an hours work.
I doubt that includes every cost associated with the procedure, just the bed alone is $350 an hour fully loaded.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Doctor should charge 800 dollars to fix the leg and if we had a free market we could see different rates.
Xray costs 200 dollars, this is not new technology people.
Hospital should charge per hour at $10 per hour that you there in care. So if there there for 24 hours that will be 240 dollars.
If want to throw in a malpractice surcharge that is 100 dollars and 50 dollars for paperwork.
Done
Holy crap we agree on something. I am not against the free market for medicine. The problem is that I don't think it is obtainable. To have a free market for medicine you would have to have informed buyers (demand) looking for the best rates and you would need government out of controlling the amount of doctors in the system...supply.

People with health insurance from their employer, for the most part, do not shop for treatment based on cost...because they are not paying for it. The only way to fix that is to have the govt. quit giving employers tax deductions for medical insurance for their employees. Takeaway the incentive. That will make health insurance no different than car insurance. Based on the odds and costs. Health insurance should actually be cheaper than car insurance, but it is not because we don't shop and we don't control the amount we spend, because there is no penalty.

The government has to be all the way in or all the way out with health care coverage. In the middle will not work. Since the first option is not likely I will go with the second. Unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I doubt that includes every cost associated with the procedure, just the bed alone is $350 an hour fully loaded.
Why. Is it a magic bed. I can stay in the Ritz in New York for $350 for a whole day...and it is fully loaded.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:10 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Its called malpractice insurance.
So, we're getting screwed twice by insurance companies. I'm not surprised.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:14 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Everyone is talking about public and private insurance, but no one seems to be focusing on why it cost so much for medical treatment. The below link is the cost by procedure.

Could someone please explain to me why it costs 26,000 to fix a broken leg. We will never get affordable health care if we can't control the costs.

How can you justify 26,000 for x-rays on the leg, plaster and to reset the leg...all of which can be done in a couple hours. Please do tell.

Medical Cost by Principal Procedure

The fact is we focus so much on insurance carriers. We tend to forget how much we are getting ripped off by hospitals. Of course most of us don't see the bill since Insurance pays most of it, but maybe that is why insurance is so high.
Last year I had a quick skin cancer check and biopsy, and it wasn't skin cancer. I spent about 5 min. with a doctor. The bill was near $3000 that went to my insurance company. This is the problem with our current system! Who makes all the money by overcharging??? Where did that $3000 go?

Old 07-27-2009, 02:17 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
But we also have the best survival rate for cancer in the world. I'd imagine other things rank up there as well.

So what's more important to you? Saving some money? Or surviving an illness?

your logic is completely flawed. Our health ranking is 39th, just behind Morrocco. Our life expectency is lower than most other countries. Incidence of infant mortality 3rd world. All the data is out there and has been for years.

why are there dozens of medications available in Canada (and other countries) right now for 30-60% cheaper than they are here?

why are there generic forms of medicine available in Canada (and other countries) right now that wont be available in the US for another 3 to 5 years?

the irony is that most of these meds were developed by american't pharmacies, if anything, it's other countries that should be getting ripped off, not it's own populace, but that doesn't happen because the system in the us specifically allows the american consumer to be ripped off.

why does a hospital charge $6 for ONE aspirin tablet?

the costs are simply outrageous, and any thought otherwise is rediculous. it's not about 'surviving an illness'.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Last year I had a quick skin cancer check and biopsy, and it wasn't skin cancer. I spent about 5 min. with a doctor. The bill was near $3000 that went to my insurance company. This is the problem with our current system! Who makes all the money by overcharging??? Where did that $3000 go?
In someone's pocket. For that visit Doctors, Hospital executives and possibly investors and some to overhead. You will never get the answer from them though.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:37 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I hope one of those doctors who comes on here can/will try to answer this. This is the key question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies