Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Gay Couples Adopt Children ??
Yes. 87 62.14%
No. 44 31.43%
Not sure / No opinion. 9 6.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:35 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Every child needs a Mom and a Dad for various important reasons.

My opinion and I am sticking to it.

We happen to have a "gay couple" kid ( One of the gays had this one while being married before finding out they were gay ) in my younger childs class and the kid is totally confused about life and asks the other kids what is it like to have a daddy?

The child actually emotionally is a mess and is being forced to believe that it is ok to have two moms.

It is easy to see the kid is a total emotional mess caused by two people who have themselves first and the child second.

If I were a judge I would take the child away from this couple and see if the Dad has a better family and home life for it before they are scarred for life with this crap.
How do you know he's "totally confused about life" and an "emotional mess?" Are you privy to a psychological evaluation?

My daughter is an only child and she questions what it's like to have siblings and wishes for a sibling sometimes, but it doesn't mean she's totally confused about life. She just realizes some situations are different.

I bet if you asked any kid in foster care pining for a permanent home whether he/she would prefer two stable gay parents or would rather be shuffled among different families for years, it wouldn't be a hard choice. Kids need love and stability and there's no heterosexual corner on that market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 03:36 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Once there was a article in the Miami Herald about this topic.Two men fostered a child (interestingly a black baby since that has been mentioned).The couple were good with the kid,the kid was doing great in school and the couple said they would have female friends active in the child's life because they thought it was important that a female role model be present to a extent.

After reading this I changed my mind on gay adoption,as long as the couple is doing well with the kid,I think it is a good thing and the kid will probably grow up to be a normal kid.

However it would be interesting to see statistics regarding kids raised in a gay family regarding the kids sexual orientation once the grew up,I think you would find that the gay couple hadn't much bearing on it overall but I never saw any statistics on that....

Old 07-27-2009, 03:46 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Doesn't offend me in the least. I had that. But in the real world, in America, that isn't always an option.

How many children have you fostered or adopted?

My DH and I fostered eight. He's dead now and a gay couple will take my son if I die before he is an adult.

{{David and Doug}}
This is just a public shoutout to those who sent me the nicest anonymous comments for my post. Your thoughtfulness means a great deal to me. Thank you!

Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
I feel that every child deserves a mom and a dad. Sorry if that offends you, or places me in your "bigot column".
but wouldn't two dad's or two mommies be better than no mommie or daddy at all???

Old 07-27-2009, 03:50 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Many people would rather have a child live in different foster homes then with homosexual parents. It is a religious thing.
but your religion shouldn't be able to dictate public policy....

Old 07-27-2009, 03:50 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
I am for gays adopting but I would say only kids over a certain age to where they can understand about homosexuality and what it is and why some people are homosexual while others are not. Younger kids will be terrible confused by having 2 dads or 2 moms when everybody around them has 1 of each. That is why it is important that they know what homosexuality is and how it works.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:53 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Quote:

We happen to have a "gay couple" kid ( One of the gays had this one while being married before finding out they were gay ) in my younger childs class and the kid is totally confused about life and asks the other kids what is it like to have a daddy?

The child actually emotionally is a mess and is being forced to believe that it is ok to have two moms.

It is easy to see the kid is a total emotional mess caused by two people who have themselves first and the child second.

If I were a judge I would take the child away from this couple and see if the Dad has a better family and home life for it before they are scarred for life with this crap.
So the child that you are talking about had a daddy, but he isn't in the child's life BC of death or desertion. Having an extra mom has nothing to do with him not having a daddy in his life.

The sad truth is that there are many, many children who wonder what it is like to have a daddy. And the vast majority have/had straight parents.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:21 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
do you have kids?

kids are not confused, they are inquisitive. a conversation can go like this:

"mom, i have two of you, but why dont i have a daddy?"

mother replies, "you do, but he knew how well we could take care of you, so he let us do the job. besides if you ever need to know anything, but want to talk to another boy, you know you can ask your 'uncle' bob"

child continues "oh ya, uncle bob. do you think he got me the fishing pole he promised me?"

"im sure he did" says mom.

child again, "do girls go fishing?"

mom replies "some do"

son excitedly asks "do they only catch girl fish!?!"

conversation proceeds.

its not that hard being a parent. kids are smarter than we give them credit for.

usually its a non issue.

i remeber seeing a billboard of a bunch 5-7 YO kids(all different races), arms interlocked. the text read "no one is born a bigot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am for gays adopting but I would say only kids over a certain age to where they can understand about homosexuality and what it is and why some people are homosexual while others are not. Younger kids will be terrible confused by having 2 dads or 2 moms when everybody around them has 1 of each. That is why it is important that they know what homosexuality is and how it works.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:46 PM

769 posts, read 887,485 times
Even for people who think kids should be raised traditionally by a man and woman, this should be a no brainer. I mean any sort of parents is better than no parents, no matter what you think is best, in reality that is not always an option; boy wouldn't life be great if it were!

In reality though, have to stable, well off (not saying being rich has anything to do with happiness, but no having to struggle financially sure helps you concentrate you raising your children) couple who will love you and teach you how to be a respectable part of this society sure beats the hell out of a lot of homes in America with "traditional" parents.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:52 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,035 times
Quote:

How would you know that the child is "an emotional mess"??

IMO, it's better for a child to have two loving and supporting parents than no parent at all.

Last edited by nature's message; 07-27-2009 at 07:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies