Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 11:14 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
yes here we go again...love the sweeping generalizations
Well stand up and do something if you want things to change. Your community leaders are the reason why these generalizations are made. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and who squeaks the most in the black community? Generalizations aren't just reserved for the black community you know, it happens to alot of groups.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
BTW, today is Columbus Day. I happened to be changing the channels and the Columbus Day Parade is taking place in New York City with hundreds of thousands of American-born people taking part. The majority of them are of Italian origin with Italian surnames, and they are celebrating Italian heritage by, among other things, brandishing literally thousands of Italian flags all over New York City. For some strange reason, I haven't seen one post on this entire forum assailing Italian Americans for calling themselves Italian Americans. Why would these people not be assailed for this? In my opinion, these people do NOT deserve to call themselves both Italian and American in the same word.

Where have I seen that before?

Old 10-12-2009, 11:34 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
BTW, today is Columbus Day. I happened to be changing the channels and the Columbus Day Parade is taking place in New York City with hundreds of thousands of American-born people taking part. The majority of them are of Italian origin with Italian surnames, and they are celebrating Italian heritage by, among other things, brandishing literally thousands of Italian flags all over New York City. For some strange reason, I haven't seen one post on this entire forum assailing Italian Americans for calling themselves Italian Americans. Why would these people not be assailed for this? In my opinion, these people do NOT deserve to call themselves both Italian and American in the same word.

I agree with you 100%. I'm of Norwegian and German Heritage but I don't go around flying the Norwegian flag (don't even own one) and eating schnitzel all the time. The Italian-Americans and the Irish-Americans are the worst ones with this. If you think your so damn Italian, move to Italy.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:59 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
Umm... NO

How about we accept that our country, at its best, is a wonderful mix of people from various cultures and countries. Nothing wrong with being proud of being an American of Italian or Irish descent. Just like there is nothing wrong with being an AMerican of African or German descent.

Geesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I agree with you 100%. I'm of Norwegian and German Heritage but I don't go around flying the Norwegian flag (don't even own one) and eating schnitzel all the time. The Italian-Americans and the Irish-Americans are the worst ones with this. If you think your so damn Italian, move to Italy.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Umm... NO

How about we accept that our country, at its best, is a wonderful mix of people from various cultures and countries. Nothing wrong with being proud of being an American of Italian or Irish descent. Just like there is nothing wrong with being an AMerican of African or German descent.

Geesh
But being proud of ones descent is different then calling them hyphenated Americans.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:12 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Well stand up and do something if you want things to change. Your community leaders are the reason why these generalizations are made. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and who squeaks the most in the black community?
I have no desire to waste my time trying to change the mind of a few ignorant people who feel they have the authority to say what black people do and do not deserve.
Quote:
Generalizations aren't just reserved for the black community you know, it happens to alot of groups.
No I had no idea…thank you so much for informing me that black people aren’t the only people on earth…however we must be the most interesting ones on the forum since we seem to be the only ones in heavy rotation on the boards.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:42 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:

Thats right. I consider myself American of Italian descent. My great grandmother came here through Ellis Island in 1905
America is built from immigrants like my great grandparents so I will definitely remember my heritage.

Now I do not believe Columbus day is the right day for Italians to take pride in their heritage but that is another issue.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:53 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Thats right. I consider myself American of Italian descent. My great grandmother came here through Ellis Island in 1905
America is built from immigrants like my great grandparents so I will definitely remember my heritage.

Now I do not believe Columbus day is the right day for Italians to take pride in their heritage but that is another issue.

So why do so many people have a problem with African Americans who feel the same way?

Old 10-12-2009, 01:54 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
America is built from immigrants like my great grandparents so I will definitely remember my heritage. .

I have a friend who refers to herself as a “Brooklyn Italian” and I have another friend who refers to herself as “Southern Baptist” labels go on forever – as long as you’re applying them to yourself and not forcing them on anyone else I have no issue.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:55 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
So why do so many people have a problem with African Americans who feel the same way?
It's not the feeling pride of their heritage, it is the hyphenating of the American that is the issue for many people, blacks included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies