Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 02:46 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
well everybody has to be proud of something so congrats!
Why thank you it is good to recieve congrats for not wanting to segregate Americans

Old 10-12-2009, 02:51 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,630,594 times
I consider myself an American also. I also consider myself Black, African American, a woman, a daughter, a mommy, a wife. I'm many things. None of these take away from the others.

And no, I'm not a hyphenated American. What is that? When I am abroad, and people ask where I'm from, I say America. That's how you respond when someone asks you what country you are from. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
How is that small mindedness. I am proud of my heritage, but I consider myself an American, not a hyphenated American. So looking at Americans as just that Americans, is small minded, well, then I am proud of being small minded.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:57 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Why thank you it is good to recieve congrats for not wanting to segregate Americans
that's funny............America was segregated for hundreds of years; we were singularly set aside as different, but now we're the ones who segregate?

Only in the Bizarro World.............

Old 10-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I consider myself an American also. I also consider myself Black, African American, a woman, a daughter, a mommy, a wife. I'm many things. None of these take away from the others.

And no, I'm not a hyphenated American. What is that? When I am abroad, and people ask where I'm from, I say America. That's how you respond when someone asks you what country you are from. ;-)

But you consider it small minded for a black person to not consider themselves African American? I guess that is your belief, I will continue to have mine, and you can continue to have yours.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
that's funny............America was segregated for hundreds of years; we were singularly set aside as different, but now we're the ones who segregate?

Only in the Bizarro World.............
Your post don't make any sense but, I guess you believe that you are in favor of segregation. I am sorry that I can't follow this belief.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:15 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,630,594 times
Quote:
But you consider it small minded for a black person to not consider themselves African American? I guess that is your belief, I will continue to have mine, and you can continue to have yours.

No.... a Black person may call themselves whatever they want. If you want to use African American, go ahead. If you want to use Black, go ahead.

What I consider small minded is someone that tells ME that I can not call MYSELF African American if I choose to do so. I respect your choice, respect mine. And respect that I don't feel it is segregating myself as an American.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
I constantly see it being used in the forums and general media referring to American blacks. Yet there is nothing "African" about American black people and furthermore most American blacks have no intention of visiting or living in Africa, so why do people continue to insist on using this term? Are whites called "European American"? No. In fact, American blacks are even more Americanized than white Americans. Many black families have been here for 200-300 years. They have no connections to Africa at all.

Discuss.
I wonder why white people want to tell other ethnic groups what to call themselves. There are plenty of Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, German-Americans, etc.

Discuss..... being less racist.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
No.... a Black person may call themselves whatever they want. If you want to use African American, go ahead. If you want to use Black, go ahead.

What I consider small minded is someone that tells ME that I can not call MYSELF African American if I choose to do so. I respect your choice, respect mine. And respect that I don't feel it is segregating myself as an American.
But you don't respect mine, because you called me small minded for it. I respect your decision to call yourself African American, I may not agree with it, but, that don't mean you can't call yourself that.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:26 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Your post don't make any sense but, I guess you believe that you are in favor of segregation. I am sorry that I can't follow this belief.
It makes perfect sense. There is nothing in anything I have ever written that has advocated segregation.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
It makes perfect sense. There is nothing in anything I have ever written that has advocated segregation.
You said it was funny and a brizaro world, because I don't advocate segregation, so common sense would say that meant you believed the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies