Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:22 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

Well, "mooch" is a pretty strong word to use.

Are we mooches?

My DH and I work full-time as self-employed people. We pay our own SS, fund our own retirement savings, and are paying over $7000 a year for our personal health coverage--with a $2500 deductible for each of us...in these current hard times with business slow, we're paying one-third of our gross income for health insurance.

Are we mooches?

We're hanging on by the skin of our teeth and don't know how much longer we'll have to choose between food and health insurance. This is the reality of many self-employed these days.

So far we're both healthy, make efforts to stay that way, and make no insurance claims other than a yearly physical, which is covered.

Don't you find this amount of premium kind of ridiculous? Could you afford to pay it out of your pocket?

Many, many un-insureds are not mooches in any sense of the word, they're hard-working folks just like you who can't afford the most basic health coverage, even with high deductibles...

A little compassion might be in order...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 03:34 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
This plan does nothing to help the working poor or the unemployed get health care. It is a sham and a shell game only designed to help more well-connected profit from the suffering of others. The real solution would involve legal system reform, deregulation of medicine, standardization of medical records and a national database for medical information and protocols. Nothing will change here.
One thing will change. Taxes for the nation’s wealthiest persons will go up.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:38 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Well, "mooch" is a pretty strong word to use.

Are we mooches?

My DH and I work full-time as self-employed people. We pay our own SS, fund our own retirement savings, and are paying over $7000 a year for our personal health coverage--with a $2500 deductible for each of us...in these current hard times with business slow, we're paying one-third of our gross income for health insurance.

Are we mooches?

We're hanging on by the skin of our teeth and don't know how much longer we'll have to choose between food and health insurance. This is the reality of many self-employed these days.

So far we're both healthy, make efforts to stay that way, and make no insurance claims other than a yearly physical, which is covered.

Don't you find this amount of premium kind of ridiculous? Could you afford to pay it out of your pocket?

Many, many un-insureds are not mooches in any sense of the word, they're hard-working folks just like you who can't afford the most basic health coverage, even with high deductibles...

A little compassion might be in order...

I agree it time for universal health care. I recall not having any coverage in college and my employer would not offer any. Let the upper class pay for outsourcing our jobs and taking away our healthcare. All this talk is only meant to scare us because those who have a great deal of wealth are worried that the market will fall again.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:41 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
People should be given lower rates for staying healthy, losing weight, quitting smoking. How can many afford the cost of insurance ? A lot of people never go to a doctor at all, because they don't get sick. I don't want to be forced to pay for a drug plan. I will buy what I need when I need it.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:07 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
People should be given lower rates for staying healthy, losing weight, quitting smoking. How can many afford the cost of insurance ? A lot of people never go to a doctor at all, because they don't get sick. I don't want to be forced to pay for a drug plan. I will buy what I need when I need it.

Yeah ... and people who don't have kids should not have to pay school tax. Lets face it, our taxes pay for lots of things we never use or don't need. So why not health care?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:25 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Healthcare should not be a priveledge for the wealthy, it should be a right.
Please show us where in the US Constitution it defines heath care as a right.

Last I checked, it mentioned "promoting" the general welfare; not provide.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:29 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
While I can understand that sentiment, what do we do about those who are "unhealthy" through no fault of their own, ie the baby born with a heart defect? Should the parents pay higher rates? At what point is this higher rate unaffordable? We're not talking about a deadbeat paying a 30% rate on his credit card. If the parent can't afford the higher rate, what happens then?

As part of a middle class family, I would pay a higher rate if I knew I had to use medical resources more regularly than the average person. But I can afford it. What about those who work full time and are barely getting by?

That's what insurance if for: just in case sh*t happens. I'm not exactly jumping for joy for paying more on my car insurance just in case another driver is uninsured.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:39 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
While I can understand that sentiment, what do we do about those who are "unhealthy" through no fault of their own, ie the baby born with a heart defect? Should the parents pay higher rates? At what point is this higher rate unaffordable? We're not talking about a deadbeat paying a 30% rate on his credit card. If the parent can't afford the higher rate, what happens then?

As part of a middle class family, I would pay a higher rate if I knew I had to use medical resources more regularly than the average person. But I can afford it. What about those who work full time and are barely getting by?

That's what insurance if for: just in case sh*t happens. I'm not exactly jumping for joy for paying more on my car insurance just in case another driver is uninsured.
You make some very good points here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies