Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:33 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
People pay into medicare thru their payroll every payday for as long as they work..No teat sucking there... Are you thinking of medicaid?
Yes there is some teat sucking there. Roy is over 75 years old with a heart condition. Could you imagine what a private insurer would charge him. Why he would be out of money and dead by now.

No one is asking for free health insurance, we just want to be able to afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 02:45 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Yes there is some teat sucking there. Roy is over 75 years old with a heart condition. Could you imagine what a private insurer would charge him. Why he would be out of money and dead by now.

No one is asking for free health insurance, we just want to be able to afford it.
I like Roy. I want him to get quality affordable health care. He deserves it and so do we all.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:51 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Little tidbit. THe lewin group the "independent think tank" is actually owned by United Health Insurance. A little tidbit that they neglected to tell anyone. This is how the health insurance companies get their propoganda out...by cover of darkness. Evil, evil people.

Lewin group linked to private insurers : Covering Health
I actually knew that ... and find it [1] amusing that a number of prominent Republicans in Congress constantly refer to the "nonpartisan" and "independent" Lewin Group reports, and [2] sad that so many people in this country will blindly accept whatever they hear - left, right, or center - without checking it out for themselves.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Default I'd probably be dead by now

I've been going through cancer treatment for the last month. Yes - the co-pays and deductables have put us in debt but if we were under the government plan that is suggested by the current administration, I would still be waiting to see a doctor and the cancer would have matastisized by now. Since I WAS able to get in to see a doctor and WAS able to get treatment immediately, my chances of living at least another 5 years are excellent.

Hmmm .... being in debt or being dead - not a hard choice to make. Socialized medicine isn't the answer. Thats throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Personally I'd support eliminating contingency fees for attorneys on liability suits. That would make medical insurance affortable again.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:01 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post

Roy worked 40 to 50 years, Roy paid into medicare....He was sucking on his own teat..

I agree, the cost of health insurance has gotten out of hand...

I can even tell you when it started to get out of hand... and why... but I wont do it here...

Old 07-27-2009, 03:05 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I like Roy. I want him to get quality affordable health care. He deserves it and so do we all.
I like Roy too, but I think I heard Obama say something not so good about Roy when talking about his health care plan..

Old 07-27-2009, 03:11 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I've been going through cancer treatment for the last month. Yes - the co-pays and deductables have put us in debt but if we were under the government plan that is suggested by the current administration, I would still be waiting to see a doctor and the cancer would have matastisized by now.
I did not realize the proposed plan Congress is working on (plans? which one are you referrring to?) has mandated that cancer treatments will be on a waiting period until metastasis. Someone needs to rethink that one.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:24 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I did not realize the proposed plan Congress is working on (plans? which one are you referrring to?) has a mandated waiting period for cancer treatment. Someone needs to rethink that one.

Its not MANDATED but the most popular proposed plan is patterned after the Canadian system. The time it takes to get approvals in Canada for treatment is twice that of the American system. Thats why Canadians that can afford it, flock to the US for treatment. Do I wish our system was more affordable? Obviously since my treatments and meds have both wiped out our savings and a whole lot more. Do I prefer being in debt to being dead? Again yes -obviously.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:09 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Its not MANDATED but the most popular proposed plan is patterned after the Canadian system. The time it takes to get approvals in Canada for treatment is twice that of the American system. Thats why Canadians that can afford it, flock to the US for treatment. Do I wish our system was more affordable? Obviously since my treatments and meds have both wiped out our savings and a whole lot more. Do I prefer being in debt to being dead? Again yes -obviously.
A agree with you accept I'm no sucker. Not every single person in Canada with cancer waits for approval just before they pass, its another myth. Many areas of Canada are very rural so doctoring complex conditions can stall. So, what does Canada do? They send that person to the US for major treatment and the Canadian UHC picks up the tab. Another words the Canandian isn't bankrupt like you might be soon. Another issue with Canadians is many who live close to the border have dual citizenship who pick and choose their approach to their care. They may have US coverage or Canadian private insurance. And if that doesn't fit they can choose UHC. Americans can't do any of those things and even are prevented from purchasing prescription medication at affordible prices in Canada thanks to "tet them eat cake" George Bush.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:39 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Most of us "working folk" are in the same situation as the O.P., or would be, if we do not continue to remain "healthy". . . It is the Health Insurance Companies, and those individuals with "golden parachute" health care plans, that are fighting so hard to prevent the needed change. Call you congressmen and representatives! Demand NON-PROFIT health insurance NOW!
Why demand health insurance at all? Insurance is just a way to manage the risk that you will need more health care than you can afford. What we need is for the cost of health care to be brough back down to levels that make sense, and for insurance companies to no longer be the primary payers of our health care expenses. I'd happily pay $100 for my kids routine checkups and a small monthly insurance premium to insure against significant costs associated with an unexpected illness or injury. And I'd be way ahead of where I am, as my family tends to be fairly healthy. The money we (mostly through my wife's enployer) have paid out in premiums is far and away greater than anything we spend on actual health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies