Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:55 PM

1,179 posts, read 971,369 times

Advertisements

Dick Cheney was right

"March 27, 2009 | Dick Cheney once observed that "deficits don't matter," which may well have been the most honest phrase he ever uttered. His words were at least partly true, which is more than can be said for the great majority of the vice president's remarks -- and they certainly expressed the candid attitude of Republicans whenever they attain power. His pithy fiscal slogan should remind us that much of the current political furor over deficit spending in the Obama budget is wrong, hypocritical, and worthy of the deepest skepticism."

Snip, snip

"As for the Republicans, it is difficult to listen to their doomsaying predictions without laughing. They want us to worry about the evils of deficit spending when they obviously don't worry about that at all. Just yesterday, the House Republican leadership distributed what they called an alternative budget. Missing from that thin sheaf of papers was any attempt to estimate what their plan would cost and how much it would increase the deficit. Their ironic ignorance of history was illustrated by their single concrete proposal. They insist that we must cut the maximum tax rate from 36 percent to 25 percent – or the same as the top rate in 1929, on the eve of the Great Depression."

Dick Cheney was right | Salon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 06:32 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,148,198 times
I've been pretty much a Republican/conservative all my life, but I feel that the party has abandoned me and traditional values like living within your means and a balanced budget. I was shocked to see the reckless spending during the Bush years and now the Republicans are criticizing the Dems for out of control deficits. Seems a little hypocritical to me. Perhaps my dad was right in saying that there's no difference between the parties. All of them are there to enrich their pocketbooks and serve their own special interests.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:44 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,105,209 times
Bush and Co. ran a $400Bil deficit after 8 years.

Obama et al are at ........$1.4Tril in just 7 or so months.

It doesn't surprise me though, as they are just behaving like your average American; spending more than what you make.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:48 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,459,736 times
Small deficits as a percentage of GDP don't matter but when you start to spend/borrow more than can be repaid in three generations, then it starts to matter. It really doesn't make a difference which team is spending/borrowing this country into economic disaster.

It's party over country to think that out of control spending disastrous when the other team is doing it but is OK when your team is inking the checks.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:59 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,419,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I've been pretty much a Republican/conservative all my life, but I feel that the party has abandoned me and traditional values like living within your means and a balanced budget. I was shocked to see the reckless spending during the Bush years and now the Republicans are criticizing the Dems for out of control deficits. Seems a little hypocritical to me. Perhaps my dad was right in saying that there's no difference between the parties. All of them are there to enrich their pocketbooks and serve their own special interests.

I have to agree. I to am a Republican and was very upset with some of the spending that was done under Bush.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:24 AM

221 posts, read 435,618 times
Obamatrons rallied behind their savior by saying change was coming. Yet they defend Obama's actions by comparing them to Bush's same actions. I love it

Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,030,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
Dick Cheney was right

"March 27, 2009 | Dick Cheney once observed that "deficits don't matter," which may well have been the most honest phrase he ever uttered. His words were at least partly true, which is more than can be said for the great majority of the vice president's remarks -- and they certainly expressed the candid attitude of Republicans whenever they attain power. His pithy fiscal slogan should remind us that much of the current political furor over deficit spending in the Obama budget is wrong, hypocritical, and worthy of the deepest skepticism."

Snip, snip

"As for the Republicans, it is difficult to listen to their doomsaying predictions without laughing. They want us to worry about the evils of deficit spending when they obviously don't worry about that at all. Just yesterday, the House Republican leadership distributed what they called an alternative budget. Missing from that thin sheaf of papers was any attempt to estimate what their plan would cost and how much it would increase the deficit. Their ironic ignorance of history was illustrated by their single concrete proposal. They insist that we must cut the maximum tax rate from 36 percent to 25 percent – or the same as the top rate in 1929, on the eve of the Great Depression."

This is a creative thread by of course a newbie. Welcome to City Data now read the TOS and follow them.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:00 AM

769 posts, read 884,437 times
Using the arguement that Bush ran up the deficit to defend Obama is just as ignorant as blindly defending Obama for spending too much. I will admit, too many Bush supporters tried to justify his out of control spending in the face of adversary, but the reality is that any conservative that knows what they believe in was condemning Bush throughout his whole Presidency for his spending. So to say, "Look, Bush did it too!" as Obama spends into oblivion is pointless and irrelavent. Two wrongs do not equal a right. Obama ran on a platform of fiscal responsibility, this isn't it; end of story.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:00 PM

29,918 posts, read 18,480,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I have to agree. I to am a Republican and was very upset with some of the spending that was done under Bush.

I agree. I don't think many conservatives were happy with Bush. He was liberal in action and a republican only in name.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:28 PM

38,602 posts, read 26,210,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
Dick Cheney was right

Snip, snip

The line is not likely to make this week's eulogies to Ronald Reagan, but when Vice President Cheney allegedly declared, "Reagan proved deficits don't matter," he summed up an enduring argument from the former president's economic legacy.

Then-Treasury Secretary Paul H. O'Neill pleaded that the government -- already running a $158 billion deficit -- was careering toward a fiscal crisis. But by O'Neill's account of the meeting, Cheney silenced him by invoking his take on Reagan's legacy.

washingtonpost.com: Reagan Policies Gave Green Light to Red Ink

O'Neill was fired. Now Salon is defending BO by quoting Cheney second hand.

Thanks for the Kool-Aid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies