Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think a completely tax free society could work?
Yes, let people decide where their money goes. 27 39.13%
No, too much privatization. 42 60.87%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 05:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

This couldn't work for a variety of reasons, we need to be taxed as there is things that simply need to be done on a national level. The military is perfect example as would be large public projects involving transportation, waterways etc. Having said that take way too much and are involved in entirely too many things that should be done on a private level.

This is a little beyond my exact views but not too far off:

YouTube - Ayn Rand Mike Wallace Interview 1959 part 1

YouTube - Ayn Rand Mike Wallace Interview 1959 part 2

YouTube - Ayn Rand Mike Wallace Interview 1959 part 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 06:07 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denison View Post
That's one thing I forget to add. Philanthropist could create trust funds for military, hospital, scientific purposes. People could donate to those. I think you'd get more money that way than actually taxing people.
Oh yeah!

Coulda, woulda, shouldas. they're worth.......................NOTHING!

Sure no taxes = a society where the biggest guns win.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:39 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleePR View Post
Let's look at a few examples:

Schools. I don't have kids. Why should I pay for schooling someone else's kids? Let them cough up $20-30K per year per kid.

Wait, that's more than many parents make per year.

Well, does it harm me, as a member of society, if their kids don't learn to read? Yes or no?
This comment above could be a whole new thread.

When I was young and single, I was miffed when I got my property tax bill and saw like 80% seemed to go to public education. I thought WTF? I have no kids, why should I pay?

Think about it. While it may not be the best way to fund education, since children are our future, I would hope that at the very least they get a decent education.

When I'm 80 and the kids that are in school now are running the country, industry, etc..., I sure hope they had a good education under their belt.

Like you said, the average "parent" can't pay. I doubt if Obama's parents had the money to pay for school. But public education gave him a good foundation at least.

When children are properly educated, it benefits us all.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:18 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
This nation existed quite well for a long period of time without the 'need' for all these gov. services.

I think part of the problem is people nowadays are incredibly self absorbed and apathetic,the very idea of being responsible is terrifying to them.

As to the OP,it is spelled out quite clearly how the fedgov. is to operate and how it is to receive funds to pay for it's very limited responsibilities.

Gov. should be VERY limited and the best way to limit gov. is to underfund it.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:05 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
This nation existed quite well for a long period of time without the 'need' for all these gov. services.

Right, it existed with no Interstate Highway system, no airports, no prescription drug testing, no reliable/fast communication system, etc., etc., etc.

Yeah! It was great!

Let's go back even further and we can even have raw sewage running in the gutter, wouldn't THAT be special?

Old 07-28-2009, 01:26 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,746 times
The utopia of no taxes will not work. As you can see by looking at history, every "democracy" begins to fail when people shun individual responsibility coupled with a unique (often fleeting) sense of service and loyalty over self. Once those things begin a downward trend, the democracy fails or just shrinks, becoming insignificant.

The balance of a fair tax system to provide the most basic public services for the common good should be able to exist, but it does not. For me, a flax tax on everyone at around 10% might work. I just wonder if that could ever come to pass.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:26 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denison View Post
Ok, I've been mulling this over in my mind. First of all everyone is welcome to contribute to this thread. Second of all I'm not an economist, so a lot of people here will know more about this subject than me.

When I talk about tax free society, I mean completely:

-No income tax
-No sales tax
-No capital gains tax
-No property tax
-No inheritance tax etc....

The thinks that would drive this society:
-Philanthropy
-Charity/Charitable organization(instead of welfare/free social services)
-Capitalism/ Free trade/ Maximize competition

A society like this would have to have a small limited government. The government would not be an employer or collect taxes(no IRS) from people. If the people wanted new roads, better schools, better parks etc... they would get together raise the money, get the job done themselves. Firstly I think a society like this would have to be fully privatized. Private police(see article below), private healthcare, private schools, private prisons etc....

Benefits of Privatization:
- Private police - higher salary, no immunity like government police
- Private healthcare - less rationing, better services
- Private schools - higher test scores than public school
- Private prisons - could use criminals as labor force to pay off their debt

In fact I think the only tax should be a "criminal tax". So really, any law abiding citizen would be living in a completely tax free society. People who commit misdemeanors could be taxed at 1-10% for 1 - 5 yrs for punishment, or whatever rate you want to use. Harsher criminals(but not murders, rapist, pedos) could work on a prison labor force to work off their debt directly as punishment.

Free free to add how you think a society like this would work or wouldn't. It's just a thought experiment.

It worked just fine before 1913, it should also work just fine now.

except you would have politicians and people not fond of liberty and freedom screaming about not having enough money for their entitlement programs.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:27 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Also, everybody gets free ice cream.
I want sprinkles on mine..

Old 07-28-2009, 01:30 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,793 times
Reduce federal taxes to a minimum to where they should be only to cover things that the states are not responsible for..most taxes go to the states where they belong..you want a road..you pay for it..you want schools..you pay for it...not re-distribution of wealth from the feds to the states..

Old 07-28-2009, 01:36 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I'm sure you can look to the indigenous tribes in the undeveloped countries to see what the results would be......I think I prefer having a job and our country defending itself with something more than poison darts to no taxes.
Well if that is all our taxes went to some believe this country would be much further advanced. Instead we have debacles such as welfare and social security.

Parks, Roads and Defense. Those are the only things I need/want from the Government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies