Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think a completely tax free society could work?
Yes, let people decide where their money goes. 27 39.13%
No, too much privatization. 42 60.87%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:33 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,544 times

Advertisements

I am a firefighter. Privatized firefighting does not work. History proves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 10:46 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Libertarian experiments have been done in Chile and New Zealand. In both cases, the results were quite negative:

Criticism of libertarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We're not all islands, unaffected by the lives of our fellow citizens. In order for a society to function well, government and public services are necessary.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:47 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
I think the poll options are limiting.
I prefer lower taxes but I can't see the U.S. functioning without taxes.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:02 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
It worked just fine before 1913, it should also work just fine now.

except you would have politicians and people not fond of liberty and freedom screaming about not having enough money for their entitlement programs.

There is a problem if you want to go back to 1913. For starters there were a lot of things missing like paved roads, roads were only paved in a few cities in the east and midwest. Not that you needed to go anywhere most people lived and died in the same town or county they were born. We didn't have to pay for a military which at tops numbered 100,000 for the three services, Army, Navy and Coast Guard. You didn't need social security or medicare, on average you lived to the ripe old age of 47 so worrying about life after 65 wasn't that important. Yes this was a simpler age, you didn't need a license to practice medicine and in much of the country you didn't even need to go to medical school. If you were rich and in one of the bigger cities like NY you might have a doctor who was a Johns Hopkins man but otherwise it was one who just nailed his sign on the door.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Old 07-29-2009, 06:00 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Libertarian experiments have been done in Chile and New Zealand. In both cases, the results were quite negative:

We're not all islands, unaffected by the lives of our fellow citizens. In order for a society to function well, government and public services are necessary.

I shall agree to a point, public services are needed. but welfare programs and entitlement programs provided by the federal goverment are not needed.

you also have to remember, that most of the public services are provided for and by the local and state goverments.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:16 AM

558 posts, read 818,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
It proves that privatized firefighting may or may not work.

Your argument would be like someone in 1900 saying, "Human flight won't work. History proves it."

Old 07-29-2009, 06:17 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post

really?

I think alot of volunteer firefighters might find that comment offensive.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:22 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denison View Post
That's one thing I forget to add. Philanthropist could create trust funds for military, hospital, scientific purposes. People could donate to those. I think you'd get more money that way than actually taxing people.
The only reason for corporations and rich people to set up your so called 'philanthropy" efforts is to get a tax write off. Now that you take away the tax benefit from them, there's no more reason for them for charity, is there?

Old 07-29-2009, 06:34 AM

558 posts, read 818,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

Lessons in Liberty: The Dutch Republic, 1579-1750 | The Freeman | Ideas On Liberty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies