Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Yeah, I could just see Palin attempting to match wits with Bill Maher...or anyone with any brains for that matter.

I don't think Palin could match wits with a German Shepherd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
I’m going with Bill Maher,,,, Palin is laughable as a public official in national government. If that’s the best and the brightest then the country has more problems then we originally thought.

Look at all of the criminals in office that Americans elected and re-elected. Look at the criminals in corporations that are allowed to run the businesses left in this country. Nothing is done to control or correct them. Look at the mess of the health care business that the nation has.

Don’t forget that United Health Care CEO “Bill McGuire” in 2006 was given stock options of 1.6 BILLION dollars. He’s the reason for UHC not paying for medical services to Americans who legally qualified but couldn’t fight the battle with them. Is there any wonder why health care is in the toilet?

Yeah, again Americans are stupid.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:28 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
Correct that we don't get much of a say after elections, but we barely get one during elections. Gerrymandering has created districts that are "sure fire" for a candidate or party, so the only people whose vote matters are a couple "swing" counties.

Term limits would work if they went in tandem with campaigning reform. I'm not sure how the logistics would work, but something needs to change. "The guy who spends the most money gets elected" needs to end ASAP.
you're not kidding, before Super Tueday, before 45 of 50 states had voted, we went from 9 on the Dem side to 2, went from 7 on the Repub side to 2. that's democracy? it was always obama/clinton in the media. What really proves it was that from day 1 during the "debates" not all canidates, in either party, got equal time in the debates!!!!! How can you have this? What you're saying is that Dodd, Richardson, Kucinich, Ron Paul et all weren't important and didn't matter as much. What an unmittigated joke.

and why does Iowa and New Hampshire and south carolina get to play such a big part? I don't know what it is but it's not democracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
No, it doesn't say much for all of us. It shouldn't be a war to elect someone, but it has become one, with battle lines and ministers of propaganda.

But while we think we (the public) have a say, it's the lobbyists that are actually pulling the strings of Washington. Most talk show hosts won't go after them, since their payday comes from the same corporations that are represented by the lobbyists. Most of Washington skates around the issue, and when questioned, will wrap themselves in the flag.

Some want term limits, but that would be a disaster. Instead of someone getting tainted by the dollars after getting elected, you'd have manufactured candidates, created by the corporations.

A little long, and off topic, so I will end this here.......
nor should it take 2 years to elect someone. I mean half of the presidents term is spent on the campaign trail running for office. Even when there ar new pres. for sure it takes that long. Countries with a parlimentary form of gov't (england,canda) can get it done in a month but hey, it's a ratings boom for CNN et all. How many times did they say the ratings for the debates were the 'highest ever'. How many debates did they have on the dem side? 22? 23? what a joke , most people don't watch them and decide that way.

about half of all congress people who lose their seats or retire go on to become lobbyists in washington for corportate interests.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
To review: no one in the little island you live on likes Sarah Palin, and everyone is there to kill fish.

I am forced to reluctantly conclude that your collective motivations in life are certainly no more and probably considerably less sophisticated than Mrs. Palin's.

I am further compelled to speculate that Alaska voters are as bizarre in their judgement as those of Minnesota, but that's another topic for another thread...
Well, I'm forced to conclude that you've totally misread Souxcia's post

What she's saying is that the only Palien supporters on her little island are -48 sports fishermen who are there for a week or two.

We have our share of those on my not so little island as well but...

the area also produces some of the best seafood in the world. Some people have made successful businesses out of it (something that the Paliens failed at when they had their snow machine business). Some people's children have traveled the world and even saw the total eclipse somewhere in N. Africa (and realize it isn't a country) thanks to the business of fish killing, can speak Russian as well as a couple of other languages (including English, which the Palien seems to be challenged at)

Some people's children even attend college, imagine that.

Now...my island, as well as Souxcia's, are Native American communities, and the Palien managed to lose favor with most of them at some point during the last year or so. Could have been when they were freezing and starving up on the Yukon and the Palien paid no attention to their situation until she saw a chance to get her mug in front of a -48 camera when some televangelist made a sizable donation...could have been way last fall when she tried to capitalize on Todd's extremely marginal connection with the tribe out in Bristol Bay. Could have been when she supported legislation that favored great white -48 hunters and fishers over our subsistence rights.

You will of course find supporters of the Palien in the state of Alaska, but not so much on these islands in beautiful southern Southeast Alaska. There's up in Whitesilla, Anchorage, and around the Kenai.

Hell I would have gone to one of the picnics had she come around here having one. I'm so busy killing fish I hardly have time to eat and free food is always a draw.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-28-2009 at 06:02 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 04:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, I'm forced to conclude that you've totally misread Souxcia's post

What she's saying is that the only Palien supporters on her little island are -48 sports fishermen who are there for a week or two.

We have our share of those on my not so little island as well but...

the area also produces some of the best seafood in the world. Some people have made successful businesses out of it (something that the Paliens failed at when they had their snow machine business). Some people's children have traveled the world and even saw the total eclipse somewhere in N. Africa (and realize it isn't a country) thanks to the business of fish killing, can speak Russian as well as a couple of other languages (including English, which the Palien seems to be challenged at)

Some people's children even attend college, imagine that.

Now...my island, as well as Souxcia's, are Native American communities, and the Palien managed to lose favor with most of them at some point during the last year or so. Could have been when they were freezing and starving up on the Yukon and the Palien paid no attention to their situation until she saw a chance to get her mug in front of a -48 camera when some televangelist made a sizable donation...could have way last fall when she tried to capitalize on Todd's extremely marginal connection with the tribe out in Bristol Bay. Could have been when she supported legislation that favored great white -48 hunters and fishers over our subsistence rights.

You will of course find supporters of the Palien in the state of Alaska, but not so much on these islands in beautiful southern Southeast Alaska. There's up in Whitesilla, Anchorage, and around the Kenai.

Hell I would have gone to one of the picnics had she come around here having one. I'm so busy killing fish I hardly have time to eat and free food is always a draw.
Shrug. To each his own. I do my fish-killing at Costco, and am represented by two ignorant female U.S. Senators, to boot.

I guess we all have burdens to bear.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Shrug. To each his own. I do my fish-killing at Costco, and am represented by two ignorant female U.S. Senators, to boot.

I guess we all have burdens to bear.
Just make sure you don't buy farmed salmon at Costco. It's bad for you.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:02 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
I think since he thinks we are so stupid that he should go to France and see if he can get a TV show.

YouTube - Bill Maher Discusses Palin, Gates Arrest, Health Care Reform On CNN

don't sweat this hack, he is not worth it

Old 07-28-2009, 05:11 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Just make sure you don't buy farmed salmon at Costco. It's bad for you.
You mean the kind in the darling little coveralls?

No way.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:24 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
I think since he thinks we are so stupid that he should go to France and see if he can get a TV show.

YouTube - Bill Maher Discusses Palin, Gates Arrest, Health Care Reform On CNN
Thanks for posting this. I missed the original broadcast....

Old 07-28-2009, 05:30 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yup, we're stupid and that effete little snob sniffing his rarified air has it made in the shade. You see, on networks that are beholden to ratings to survive, the number of people watching Maher would matter but Maher is only playing to the Hollywood crowd because HBO doesn't get its money from advertising. It gets its money from number of subscribers to HBO not number of HBO subscribers who watch Bill Maher. Bill Maher exists for Hollywood. HBO wants Hollywood to vote for Bill Maher awards. So HBO serves up Maher and original series that will please that Hollywood crowd that votes on awards for television. To the rest of their subscribers, they offer movies.

So sure he attacks conservatives. He's in it for the accolades from people who vote for awards in Hollywood. He's not in it for the number of people who watch his show.

If you can get your movies, elsewhere, think about dropping your HBO subscription. If asked why, tell them - Bill Maher.
I subscribe to HBO because of Bill Maher.

BTW, what awards has Bill Maher won?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies