Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 12:14 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,971,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
When Did it Become Okay to Start Hating the Obese?

When it became politically correct to hate smokers.

Smoker's hurt themselves by smoking, fat people hurt themselves by overeating.

Smoker's have higher healthcare costs, fat people have higher healthcare costs.

The anti-smokinging crowd has used these arguments to encourage the masses to hate smokers......make them socially unacceptable..... for their own good.....so they will "see the light" and change their ways. Hate is a good thing.....if done for the right reason.

So, you see, the masses are hating on fat people too.....ya know....for their own good. Gotta spread the "love".

Old 08-25-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Somebody would have to be a real mess to have hate like this. I call them "losers".
I seen that post and had to hold myself back, what hate, losers is right, the tower of London comes to mind

Old 08-25-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Hey Yayoi,

No matter how YOU spin it, hating people because of their body size, is wrong. And NOBODY should overeat, whether they're fat or thin. So I'm NOT advocating gluttony.

Having said that, many of you posters, keep trying to justify hating fat people. It's sad to see a post, where many of you only spew hateful, judgemental attitudes, towards those who are heavier than you. Many of you are like kids on a playground, who just can't resist being mean, towards people who are different from you.

And I used the 'sterotypical' term redneck, to describe the similarity between a white person hating someone because they're black, and a person who hates someone, because of their body size. The point is, that it's wrong to be hateful towards anyone, whether it's because of their skin color, or body size-even if someone, may be able to change their body size!
Well said

Old 08-25-2011, 01:16 AM

954 posts, read 1,279,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Suddenly it's okay to hate fat people.

Articles about obesity have been flooding the media. I can't turn on CNN lately without them going on and on about the deleterious effects fat people are having on our insurance rates.

People are actually suggesting the obese be refused certain kinds of foods at restaurants...imagine that...are we going to have to have cards with our daily BMI listed before can be seated by the maitre d'? Will my wife and I have to step on a scale before we are allowed into a restaurant? What kind of society are we turning into?

And the wave of disdain being unleashed on the obese is staggering. News shows love to depict fat tummies and rears walking by, and suggestions are made that Congress has to step in.

I don't give a damn is someone wants to pudge out, and I'm sure as hell not worried about health costs because of fat people. If Congress really wanted to help the public they would put the screws to the lawyers and come up with strict limits on malpractice lawsuits. My $85 annual medical checkup in 1995 is now $450 in 2009. That's to pay for all the people my doctor had to hire for his backoffice paperwork and his malpractice insurance.

It doesn't have a damn thing to do with obese people and health insurance premiums...that's a red herring folks, and we are being told it's okay to hate fat people because it's all their fault.

This is evil, vile stuff that this country is being sold.
Huh, my annual check up is free, guess I must have one of them cadillac insurance policies.

But I digress, it's okay to hate fat people because, well...

http://www.funnypictures.com/pictures/meanwhile-in-america.jpg (broken link)

http://lolpie.com/images/archive/content/1/2/meanwhile-in-america-mxbbc.jpg (broken link)

Well, this thread is just all sorts of awesome, now...

Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 AM

4,166 posts, read 6,300,088 times
"You people better shape up! You're sickening and disgusting! Shameful! You're costing me money day after day...You have no rights! I expect you to do what I tell you to do right now...Get with the program! Stop eating so much! I'm going to put a tape worm in your stomach if you don't stop...Or I'm going to ship you off to some remote island and start a new 'leper colony' so I don't have to look at you anymore or pay for your food...You people better do what I say or else! Stop wasting my money! Stop stuffing your face at my expense...I rule all. I am the upper class. I shouldn't have to cross paths with heathens like you! You're not even fit to shine my shoes!"....This is how it all sounds to me. The arrogance on the part of some people is disgusting. Talk about elitism and having a bloated sense of entitlement!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:25 AM

4,166 posts, read 6,300,088 times
My husband developed cancer last year and the co-payments for his chemo treatments and other procedures that he needed pretty much wiped us out financially...I know that this happens to a lot of people and families who think that they have a "good" insurance plan. My husband passed away...And I've been stuck with lots of bills...So I know what it feels like to face high medical expenses...But I hold the medical community responsible for the rising costs. HMO's are businesses. We live in a Capitalistic society where businesses either "sink" or "swim" based on their ability to earn a profit and absorb costs...When CEO's treat themselves to high salaries and big bonuses I don't feel sorry for them...HMO's and corporations have figured out a way to convince the public that the rising costs are not their fault. They love to paint themselves as the "good guys" and "saints." And the public buys all of their explanations and excuses time after time....We let "big business" off the hook and go after our neighbors with a "butcher knife!"....Has anyone noticed how airlines have "shrunk" the size of their seats through the years? I have! If you're in doubt look it up on the Internet...I'm a thin person and I feel cramped when I fly today. (Compared to the past.)...I don't buy into all of the hype and propoganda when an HMO or corporation (or politician) tries to turn me into a bigot or "hate monger."

Old 11-08-2011, 04:20 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,982,076 times
Fat people who cost countries billions in healthcare costs and lost productivity makes them fair game for mocking and shaming.

To the fatty apologists, obesity is NOT "a disease"

Ricky Gervais on Fat People - YouTube

George Carlin on Fat People - YouTube

Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 PM

33,510 posts, read 18,080,397 times
Skinny people eat more and burn it up.. they are the gluttons.. I have seen more thin people eat more than fat people. it is all metabolism.

My super thin sister-in-law can eat a half gallon of ice cream in one sitting.. ugh!!

Old 11-08-2011, 04:40 PM

129 posts, read 154,041 times
There are a number of factors that make people obese. It can be in a combination, or just even one thing will do it.
1. Heredity
2. What we eat (this also means the number of foods in USA that are pumped with hormones)
3. How much we eat (either to much, or not enough)
4. Exercise (not enough that is, or the wrong exercises)
5. Daily Habits
6. Using a gas or electric power device to get around

There is so much more to add, but I am thinking you all get the picture.

But to give you an example, last year I weighed 140, I now weigh 205. I still eat healthy foods, I still exercise the same amount I have always have. Only thing that has changed is that because of my families food circumstances I only eat once a day.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:46 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,855,720 times
Simple - Cigarette smokers really don't have any more tax money to be squeezed out of them to pay for Utopia, so a new group needs to be tapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.