Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:33 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Aging baby-boomers.
you mean me? oh crap howcome i always get targeted

Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,693 times
Obesity results in a cost to all of us! Higher insurance rates, a drain on public resources, and restaurants even need to buy bigger chairs.

It is worthy of hate... well, hate is a strong word, how about 'disdain'.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:53 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,004 times
I have noticed this obesity trend thing in the news recently and I personally think its a political ploy to get everyone in shape. At the end of the president's term it would be another bragging point to say "and 30% of Americans lost weight and became healthier under my administration".

Old 07-28-2009, 10:55 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Obesity results in a cost to all of us! Higher insurance rates, a drain on public resources, and restaurants even need to buy bigger chairs.

It is worthy of hate... well, hate is a strong word, how about 'disdain'.
They result in higher incomes and longer hours worked for owners and employees. They pay taxes and have retirement plans in many cases along with paying for health-care benefits. More sides that just disdain. Even yours included a "holier than thou" attitude. There are people of all shapes and sizes that are a drain on our system. I personally don't know any obese people that don't have a job. Of course that doesn't mean they don't exist but people that are a "drain" on society smoke, drink and indulge in risky behavior. Where do you stop? When we all where white suits and the people that are not of an exact dimension and lifestyle are executed for the "betterment" of the system. How about when pot is legalized, will you be as angry that people on the teat are consuming 256 known carcinogens with each toke?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:56 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
relax my friends once the Americans with disabilities act is revisited lean people will be required to sit 2 to a seat in public places and on airlines to accomadate our squarefootage challenged neighbors.it is only fair to share thier hardship

Old 07-28-2009, 11:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Suddenly it's okay to hate fat people.

Articles about obesity have been flooding the media. I can't turn on CNN lately without them going on and on about the deleterious effects fat people are having on our insurance rates.

People are actually suggesting the obese be refused certain kinds of foods at restaurants...imagine that...are we going to have to have cards with our daily BMI listed before can be seated by the maitre d'? Will my wife and I have to step on a scale before we are allowed into a restaurant? What kind of society are we turning into?

And the wave of disdain being unleashed on the obese is staggering. News shows love to depict fat tummies and rears walking by, and suggestions are made that Congress has to step in.

I don't give a damn is someone wants to pudge out, and I'm sure as hell not worried about health costs because of fat people. If Congress really wanted to help the public they would put the screws to the lawyers and come up with strict limits on malpractice lawsuits. My $85 annual medical checkup in 1995 is now $450 in 2009. That's to pay for all the people my doctor had to hire for his backoffice paperwork and his malpractice insurance.

It doesn't have a damn thing to do with obese people and health insurance premiums...that's a red herring folks, and we are being told it's okay to hate fat people because it's all their fault.

This is evil, vile stuff that this country is being sold.
Reps to you Dockside - and a big thank you for being the voice of reason in an insane world.

Lack of exercise is arguably one of the chief causes of not only obesity, but contributes to heart disease, and a plethora of other nasty diseases. Yet, nobody looks down their noses at the "average" American who plops their butts in front of a television screen for four hours every night. Nobody screams bloody murder that most children spend most of their waking hours playing with their Xbox or Wii or on a computer.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-28-2009, 11:19 PM

841 posts, read 2,260,955 times
they are pretty disgusting

Old 07-29-2009, 12:19 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,112 times
The thing I don't understand is that it's constantly harped on about eating healthy but healthy food is usually very expensive. Fat Free foods are usually always more pricey. Fruits and veggies can even be quite pricey. I'd eat much more of the healthy things if it wasn't so expensive.

I'd kill for a fast metabolism. I have to diet every day just to maintain a decent weight. I've lost 95 pounds in the last two years so pretty happy. Some people do eat a boatload of garbage and that's not a good thing. I feel badly for those that weren't born with a decent metabolism and struggle because of it.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:42 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times
Well, being that the smokers of America were chosen to bankroll the S-CHIP program alone---until the insane tax hikes forced too many people to quit (the monetary losses are astronomical in some states), something had to be done!

We smokers KNEW what would come next.

We KNEW that the junk science about 'secondhand smoke' was aimed at villifying us to the point that we became fair game for any and all abuses (financial, social, domestic). I have yet to find a single case of death linked to secondhand smoke, be it brief exposure or long-term. But all the hype surrounding 'The Danger!' has led to mass hysteria and erosion of freedom.

We have also known that we would not be the last group to come under scrutiny and fire.

The obese are the latest target. You're crazy if you think they'll be the last group of people chosen for 'lifestyle control'.

This has nothing AT ALL to do with public health. It has everything to do with forcing morality, coercing behavior, and monetary gain for a chosen group.

How will you feel when the masses turn on YOU?

Old 07-29-2009, 12:51 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,087,454 times
Quote:
Suddenly it's okay to hate fat people.

Articles about obesity have been flooding the media. I can't turn on CNN lately without them going on and on about the deleterious effects fat people are having on our insurance rates.

People are actually suggesting the obese be refused certain kinds of foods at restaurants...imagine that...are we going to have to have cards with our daily BMI listed before can be seated by the maitre d'? Will my wife and I have to step on a scale before we are allowed into a restaurant? What kind of society are we turning into?

And the wave of disdain being unleashed on the obese is staggering. News shows love to depict fat tummies and rears walking by, and suggestions are made that Congress has to step in.

I don't give a damn is someone wants to pudge out, and I'm sure as hell not worried about health costs because of fat people. If Congress really wanted to help the public they would put the screws to the lawyers and come up with strict limits on malpractice lawsuits. My $85 annual medical checkup in 1995 is now $450 in 2009. That's to pay for all the people my doctor had to hire for his backoffice paperwork and his malpractice insurance.

It doesn't have a damn thing to do with obese people and health insurance premiums...that's a red herring folks, and we are being told it's okay to hate fat people because it's all their fault.

This is evil, vile stuff that this country is being sold.
It is the liberal politically correct tolerant left that have been spewing their hate speech against people who are over weight with no consideration for the many causes. Eating too much is only one.

They better look at their own high risk behavior before the point fingers at others making unhealthy choices. Drug use and high risk same sex also costs us plenty.

They are cold, cruel and vile in body and soul (which is normal for them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies