Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 01:52 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Lot of poor people are fat not because they over eat its because protein and fruits and vegetables cost a lot more than high calorie/carb food, if you are living on a limited budget for food then pasta and rice are going to be a staple in your diet, think Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, Ramin Noodles etc.
I see this brought up a lot in these sort of debates (well more specifically when the debates take a poverty turn) and wonder how much of it really is the cost versus the time/effort and knowhow to prepare healthy meals.

Certainly there is some truth to it I don't think anyone would claim things like blueberries or artichoke are cheap, but there are a lot of bins in the produce area with pretty cheap prices (especially when in season) on them lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, bananas, potatoes, etc. and if one buys meat on sale in family packs it is often between $1 and $2 per pound.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:02 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
Hey sanrene,

I never said that all fat people, have genetic problems. Some do overeat. Still doesn't prove that MOST of them overeat. Looking around, I see many people that are greedy eaters. However, not all of those who pig-out, are fat. Many of these heavy eaters, are thin (like I've been saying all along).

And, until you posters come up with hard evidence, that the MAJORITY of fat people all eat too much, then you have zero credibility, on this subject.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:14 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Hey sanrene,

I never said that all fat people, have genetic problems. Some do overeat. Still doesn't prove that MOST of them overeat. Looking around, I see many people that are greedy eaters. However, not all of those who pig-out, are fat. Many of these heavy eaters, are thin (like I've been saying all along).

And, until you posters come up with hard evidence, that the MAJORITY of fat people all eat too much, then you have zero credibility, on this subject.
If you have a genetic predisposition to gaining weight (as I do) then you learn to eat LESS and exercise MORE. I rarely eat over 1500 calories a day (and it's usually around 1200 or so) and I'm a woman who is 6'1. I also have to exercise at least 90 minutes 3 or 4 times a week to simply maintain my weight. This would cause most people my height to lose weight fairly rapidly....but not me.

If you're a lucky person who can eat like a pig and not gain a lb (like my best friend) then good for you. If not, you're going to need to focus more on what you eat and how much activity you get involved in.

Genetics is no excuse.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Hey sanrene,

Sorry, but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. The rate of obesity in this country is not due to genetics or metabolic disorders, it is due to overeating.

There is just no escaping that FACT.

The zero credibility belongs to the ones who make the excuse that the majority of fat people are afflicted with a genetic disorder, that they just can't help it.

Sorry, no one is buying that BS. It is SIMPLE - eat more than your body requires, you get fat.

Did you do like I suggested - count the calories you are eating?

It will surprise you.

Did you do like I suggested - determine EXACTLY how many calories you need based on height, weight, age, activity level?

If 1500 calories seems like a starvation diet to you, you need to ask yourself every time you reach for something to eat - Am I actually hungry, or just eating out of habit?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
Hey sanrene,

and YOU have "zero credibility" for your continued assertion you are overweight because you inherited a "fat gene"...........

I'm done here.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:42 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Regardless of the outcome of this thread, I think we can all unite in agreement that this:

"Sorry, but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak."

Is some seriously funny ****.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:16 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't think anyone is advocating hatred. Reports about obesity have been in the news for a long time. I don't see anything wrong with pointing out the health risks associated with being obese.
Pointing out the health risks? Do you imagine that there is a single "fat" person out there who doesn't know the adverse affects that all that extra weight brings? Do you think any of them don't know about the increased risks for diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, sleep apnea and a whole host of other damaging conditions? Very few obese individuals want to be that way but it is so difficult to successfully lose the weight and keep it off and if you add poverty to the mix, it makes eating a healthful diet an almost insurmountable challenge.

Unfortunately, our culture is a war of conflicting issues. On the one hand, we are constantly being told that we should eat healthy, exercise more and lose weight. But at the same time we are bombarded with images of juicy burgers, yummy brownies, Pop Tarts, sizzling bacon, sugary soft drinks and countless other high fat, low nutrition foods and it is very hard to dismiss all those temptations and stay on the healthy path. With the rising numbers of families who have lost jobs and have to feed themselves and their children with much less money, buying a bucket of fried chicken and sides can stretch their meager food budgerts much further than grilled fish and pricey salads.

Obese people are not a protected class like gays, Hispanics, African-Americans, the disabled or other groups so many in the public see that situation as an open invitation to be critical and even cruel. Something else that not everyone realizes is that one of the hardest dietary patterns to break is...habit.

But make no mistake, the obese know exactly the consequences of their condition so they surely do not need any of us to point out the terrible things that are waiting for them if they don't lose weight.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:52 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Should recreational food be outlawed?

Or, just recreational eating?

I do SOME recreational eating, but not much, because I don't like carrying all that schit around, and anyhow, there are other forms of recreation.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:42 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
That's all true, and it's disgusting and alarming how big portions are these days, but Im not sure I can buy the conspiracy reason for it. It costs more to put more food on the plates. Maybe a chef or a restaurant manager posting here could comment...?
I'm skeptical of many things since the mid 90's. I think there's been a conspiracy in many areas since then. Aimed at slowing you down, making you weak, disinterested.

-Television and media is one aspect of it. Media consolidation. There were what, dozens or hundreds of media outlets in the 50's or 60's (when people were active and healthy). There was a wide variety of images, and influences. What did teen girls have as an influence in the 50's or 60's? Annette Funicello? Gilligan's Island? Barbara Eden on I Dream of Jeannie?

Why did that change all of a sudden in 35 or 40 years? Media consolidation. There are 6 major media conglomerates now, showing you the same thing all the time. This one world media has distorted peoples sensibilities and drowned out the common sense that would have been there a generation ago. Shareholder driven media (that's obsessed with next quarters earnings) doesn't have time for common sense. It is there to sell, sell, sell, sell, sell. If you're exposed to the same dull images all the time, 500 cable channels and nothing is on...what's that going to do to you? Slow you down.

There use to be 6 tv channels, with always something on. Now with 500 channels and nothing on, it makes you disinterested, alone, you feel like you have nothing to identify with.

-Physical activity and education has been all but stripped in k-12. k-12 is a factory for the future obese in this country. Make kids as dumb as dirt. Feed their heads with putty. I bet there's a correlation between the amount of remedial work done in highschool and college, and obesity. School is there to make you groggy, tired, disinterested. If you become disinterested in the world and disenfranchised, what's that going to do to you? What is it going to sow the seeds for?

If it's not a conspiracy, then why is the same time allotted in school for physical activity as 25 or 40 years ago. PE or recess should be twice as long, if kids are getting fatter. Why don't they have yoga classes in school? There's a million things they could be doing. But they'd rather be making kids as dumb as dirt, filling in a bubble sheet about George Washington.

It's a very slow process. But this is why 300% more teens are "fat", compared to 30 years ago. Small seeds are planted. Similar with all the drugs and pharmaceutical influence. They're there to make you groggy, weak, disinterested. Drugs are there to make you feel stupid. Again, I think it leads to an increase in depression in teens (and eating). How many teens were on prescription drugs in the 60's vs 90's? I bet it's up 300 or 500%.

-There's also this "no way out phenomenon". Where 35 years ago, it was much easier to get out of highschool, get a job, start a family. I.e. taking action and responsibility for yourself and getting a move on life. Now you're locked up in a classroom for the first 24 or 27 years of your life. Told, you can't do anything when you're young. Taking action and responsibility has been replaced with busywork for young people.

Working seniors outnumber teens in labor force - SFGate

I bet there's a correlation between this chart and obesity in teens and 20 somethings. Again, if you can't get a job, can't support yourself, if you don't really see a clear light at the end of the tunnel...what are you likely to do. Esp with portion sizes 250% bigger? And "medium" drinks that can barely fit in your cup holder.

Last edited by John23; 10-12-2010 at 04:56 PM..

Old 10-12-2010, 05:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
The obese seem to be generating jobs and money.

My county just got a $300 million Federal grant. They are going to use that money to set up a panel to study and recommend what should be done regarding the obesity problem in Austin TX.

$300 million just to "study" the problem and make some recommendations.
Now this is just one city. How many others got Federal grants like that ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies