Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 07:28 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times

Advertisements

[quote=jerseygal4u;16354665]What I find disturbing is that why do people care about what others do with their own bodies. If someone is fat because they eat too much so what? It doesn't give anyone the right to look at someone with disgust because they hate that person's lifestyle.

I do believe in a fat gene. Why are certain ethnicities bigger than others?[/quote]

I have the right the second that their obesity interferes with my life. What happens then is that their life choices affect the general population.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:43 AM

33,553 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The reason I don't believe the "born with more fat cells" argument is that obesity is MUCH more common than it used to be, So either a higher % are born with more fat cells than in the past OR there are different reasons to explain this such as less physical activity,larger portion sizes, etc.
No, your argument is not valid. There are those who overeat, are lazy and can lose the weight. There are others who work a lifetime trying to get it off and it doesn't happen.

Lifestyle of computer games , tv and gym taken out of the schools contribute to obesity today.

I am not saying ALL fat people have more fats cells , some do and struggle to get slim.

I have known people who struggle to gain weight and can outeat many others in their quest to put some meat on there bones.

We are all different and I can sympathize to those who are fat no matter what or how they got there. If overeating is their downfall so what is new, there are those who drink too much ,take too much drugs, shop too much , and gossip too much. So who is perfect?

Old 10-22-2010, 11:28 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
[quote=jerseygal4u;16354665]What I find disturbing is that why do people care about what others do with their own bodies. If someone is fat because they eat too much so what? It doesn't give anyone the right to look at someone with disgust because they hate that person's lifestyle.

I do believe in a fat gene. Why are certain ethnicities bigger than others?
I have the right the second that their obesity interferes with my life. What happens then is that their life choices affect the general population.[/quote]

How does obesity of anyone intefere with your life? So we all know that sexual habits,food habits,smoking habits, and being elderly and a plethora of other habits contribute to rising healthcare costs,not just the obese.

Now,I still need an explanation of why certain ethnicities are bigger than others.

What I'm going to say furthur is that from the research I've seen their isn't a shred of evidence to convince me that the obese can't be healthy.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:41 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
from the research I've seen their isn't a shred of evidence to convince me that the obese can't be healthy.
While it is possible for the merely overweight to be relatively healthy, the obese not so much (obesity is a leading cause of type 2 diabetes for example) and for the morbidly obese, definitely NOT healthy in any use of the word.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:28 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Well then, they get fatter. Same thing as anyone who consumes more calories than they need. One cannot disregard what they shove into their piehole. If they do, well then...they get the intended results.
In many people, the source of the calories matters as much as (if not more than) the actual number of calories consumed. The body's reaction to the calories is more important.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:35 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Thank you, you've made my point exactly. People disregard what they shove in their mouths and exercise will help people not be obese. Both are things I've said repeatedly throughout this thread. Also your first sentence there is a little contradictory.
Nope, I'm talking about quality of calories rather than quantity. If you eat wrong for your own body (and I am NOT talking about the stupid "blood type" diets), you will either gain weight or fail to lose weight. See PCOS, diabetes.

Women with PCOS have difficulty losing weight, as do diabetics. The composition of the calories they consume impacts the ability to burn fat. This is due to metabolic processes, not necessarily "shoving food into their faces".

And some elements can be causes or contributing factors. Not contradictory at all. If, some day, you are put on medications that cause you to gain weight despite your best efforts to keep it off, or develop a metabolic problem that has that same effect, you will understand. You might hate yourself, but you'll understand.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:55 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
So if genes are not involved and its just a matter of shoving food in the mouth why are some ethnicities bigger than others? Why are there more obese in the south?

Maybe all those hormones being put into the food supply?

Old 10-23-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Nope, I'm talking about quality of calories rather than quantity. If you eat wrong for your own body (and I am NOT talking about the stupid "blood type" diets), you will either gain weight or fail to lose weight. See PCOS, diabetes.

Women with PCOS have difficulty losing weight, as do diabetics. The composition of the calories they consume impacts the ability to burn fat. This is due to metabolic processes, not necessarily "shoving food into their faces".

And some elements can be causes or contributing factors. Not contradictory at all. If, some day, you are put on medications that cause you to gain weight despite your best efforts to keep it off, or develop a metabolic problem that has that same effect, you will understand. You might hate yourself, but you'll understand.
How did you get diabetes to begin with? Is it secondary to you being obese and not making proper food choices? In this day and age most likely. Do you really think that the CDC's prediction of a sharp increase in diabetics is unrelated to this country's obesity issue? I doubt it.

"Blood type" diets are total feces. If you eat vegetables and lean meats in proper portions you will not have an issue losing weight. I think people have to be honest with themselves and admit that they are not doing all they can to lose the weight.

What percentage of obese people are on these medications? Were they thin before? We don't know, but I'll bet that they were heavy before any of these issues started.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:31 AM

[How does obesity of anyone intefere with your life? So we all know that sexual habits,food habits,smoking habits, and being elderly and a plethora of other habits contribute to rising healthcare costs,not just the obese.

Now,I still need an explanation of why certain ethnicities are bigger than others.

What I'm going to say furthur is that from the research I've seen their isn't a shred of evidence to convince me that the obese can't be healthy.[/quote]

If you've read any of my other posts you'd know that they interfere with my life by taking up more than their alloted space on the train. Now NYS is talking about taxing soda. That never would have happened if it weren't for the obesity problem.

I never heard of a fried twinkie until I went to NC. Or fried pickles, or fried tomatos or fat back or any other crazily fattening unhealthy food they pretty much only eat below the Mason-Dixon. True we have plenty up here but some it seems the South likes to fry. Everything.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:21 AM

73 posts, read 74,015 times
As I recall,about 1930.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies