Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 06:28 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Simple - Cigarette smokers really don't have any more tax money to be squeezed out of them to pay for Utopia, so a new group needs to be tapped.
Now you're on the right track. We could institute a gluttony tax on all groceries purchased by obese people. They don't need the food as badly as their thinner counterparts and should also have to pay a penalty for eating next year's food this year, thereby putting a strain on the nation's agricultural production.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:31 PM

129 posts, read 154,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Now you're on the right track. We could institute a gluttony tax on all groceries purchased by obese people. They don't need the food as badly as their thinner counterparts and should also have to pay a penalty for eating next year's food this year, thereby putting a strain on the nation's agricultural production.

Did you not read what was posted earlier. That a thin person can eat alot more than a fat person? I to can attest to that. Over eating is only a small percentage, a very small percentage for Obesity.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:00 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
I see it as the flip. WHEN did it be okay to be obese? It seems like everything is "big" is in and these really huge people are heralded.

There's a difference in being big and overweight and being in serious need of losing some weight.

I remember people bashing Howard Stern for his comments on Gabourey Sidibe. Yes, he was a little cruel but SO many were applauding this girl when she does NOT look healthy.

There's big people then there's her size looking seriously unhealthy. Compare. That year, she was nominated for Best Actress looking all one Krispy Kreme from a stretcher. I can't imagine her poor face getting anymore round and not literally popping.

Monque the comedian won best supporting actress. Monique is large and classified as overweight but she doesn't look unhealthy. She just looks like a big person.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:28 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
I just returned from a weekend in the Midwest, and about half the people were the size of freakin' full-grown steers. Many people seriously need to stop shoveling absurd quantities of processed grub down their pieholes and get some exercise.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:57 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I just returned from a weekend in the Midwest, and about half the people were the size of freakin' full-grown steers. Many people seriously need to stop shoveling absurd quantities of processed grub down their pieholes and get some exercise.

You should have been at the Golden Corral (aka The Piggy Palace) on Thanksgiving! Probably 90% of the people in there were beyond enormous. Everyone in my family is very small and we are all still wondering how we made it out alive or at the very least not squished like bugs.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:06 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
When Did it Become Okay to Start Hating the Obese?

Suddenly it's okay to hate fat people.
Is this a pro Rush Limbaugh thread?

Old 11-28-2011, 05:49 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
This is a tired old ploy used by liberals, and the sheeple in the Democratic Party fall for it every time.

You demonize a group of people, whether its the "rich", Wall Street executives, tobacco companies, or DOW Chemical. Once the politicians have you despising the very air they breath.... it makes it easy for the politicians to pass legislation to destroy their companies, over tax them, or just write laws to unfairly single them out for some penalty or punishment, that would otherwise never be tolerated by the people, or allowed under the Constitution.

Today they are trying to pass 0bama's health insurance plan, so its all about demonizing doctors, insurance companies and the obese. Tomorrow they will want to pass energy carbon tax legislation, so the evil doers will be big oil, coal-fueled power plants, people who use electricity and drive gasoline powered vehicles.

Liberal democrats always need their sheep hating some specific group or individuals, so they can tax them, destroy them, or marginalize them and control them.

Oh you mean like trying to make "Liberals" the fault of everything. the dreaded "L" word yup I'm sure its those liberal democrats at fault for that too...

Old 11-28-2011, 06:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I think it started with the picture of the rich and fat rice merchant refusing to give food to the starving farmers that had their crops stolen by the landlords and loan sharks. "FAT" applies to more than just obesity.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:40 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Oh you mean like trying to make "Liberals" the fault of everything. the dreaded "L" word yup I'm sure its those liberal democrats at fault for that too...
Your comment is completely out of context to what I was saying. I was not trying to illustrate a difference between liberal or conservative. It's not ideological argument of liberal vs conservative when 0bama demonizes doctors.

When liberal democrats need to get some unpopular legislation passed, they don't try to convince people of its merits, they create a straw dog and demonize it. When 0bama, Pelosi and Ried were not having secret meetings behind locked doors, they were demonizing insurance companies, CEOs, banks, hospitals and doctors.

Maybe you recall 0bama's idea of pushing his health care plan, was claiming doctors were cutting out children's tonsils and chopping off people's feet, just to make a buck. Or how about Biden, pushing 0bama's "pass it right away" jobs bill, by claiming if it was not passed, more rapes and murders would occur.

It does not getting any more disgusting then this. When 0bama and Biden start pushing hard on some new piece of their agenda, the more vile and disgusting their tactics become. How can they get any lower, then to accuse doctors of chopping off people's feet, or saying your wives, daughters and mother s will be raped and murdered if we don't "pass this jobs bill, right away"?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:42 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
^off topic dude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies