Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I am completely confused by this comment. Aren't you a straight ticket dem that has completely gone to sleep now that your party controls all 3 branches? If not, I apologize...although I'd like to hear a rep you have vote for.

Really, I am saddened by how many voters, BOTH parties will keep voting party lines even though the party really doesnt support thier issues.
In the last four elections, the ballot in the congressional district in which I was registered had only one name on it. And I no longer dignify any of the media-selected presidential candidates with a vote.

What part of my comment confused you? You thought I perceived some shade of difference between those who call themselves Republicans and those who call themselves Democrats, who all march lock step with the same big corporate lobbyists, and use fear as a weapon against liberty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 06:33 AM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Exactly. Who knows what the ramifications for the future coud be?
One ramification is that this DNA will make its way into a national or world crime database, along with DNA samples from convicts, convicted criminals and anyone whose ever been arrested, otherwise blood sampled, urinalysised, etc. Eventually, the governments of the world will build a database of everyone on the planet and make crime a very difficult proposition to get away with... in most cases.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:08 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,724 times
Quote:
It's not about dems vs. reps. It's about our government as a whole intruding into the lives of it's citizens.
Thank you, I seriously feel like sometimes they have lost all respect for the fundamental principals of our nation. Then, to try to fix where they have wrongfully intruded, they intrude more! I use to love this country sooo much...our government, everything! I thought it was God's gift to the world, I feel like I've been let down. Perhaps I had too high of an image of us before, now, I feel like all of our inspiring principles and the beauties of our foundations are just mumble jumble and superficial...I feel like we're not backing it up, kind of like how were not backing up our currency. We need some sort of 'revival' I think, I don't know, something. I want to feel the way I used too.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:09 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,724 times
*to

Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
It's not about dems vs. reps. It's about our government as a whole intruding into the lives of it's citizens.
Sure it is...this whole thread started off as a "look what Bush is doing to us" rant. You never mentioned the house, senate or initial bill sponsor.

This bill is brought to you by the letters D and R. /Sesame Street

Hey, I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt so I quick browsed your other posts...and yeah...lets just say your not exactly an independent.

Why not start a thread ripping the house, senate and Dodd?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:27 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In the last four elections, the ballot in the congressional district in which I was registered had only one name on it. And I no longer dignify any of the media-selected presidential candidates with a vote.

What part of my comment confused you? You thought I perceived some shade of difference between those who call themselves Republicans and those who call themselves Democrats, who all march lock step with the same big corporate lobbyists, and use fear as a weapon against liberty?
Fair enough. It seems we agree that the only difference between the two parties is what they PROMISE while in action they are very very similar. I try to vote issues, but it's largely futile.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:00 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,930,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sure it is...this whole thread started off as a "look what Bush is doing to us" rant. You never mentioned the house, senate or initial bill sponsor.

This bill is brought to you by the letters D and R. /Sesame Street

Hey, I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt so I quick browsed your other posts...and yeah...lets just say your not exactly an independent.

Why not start a thread ripping the house, senate and Dodd?
You know, I was going to try to ignore your derisive comments and your assumptions about my motives. But since this comment was a little less offensive, I'll give it a try.

I'm a little surprised by how quickly you became defensive at the mere mention of GWB's name. (Sore spot maybe?) I did not once make any comment about him except that he signed the bill.

So what if I vote Democratic most of the time and find them the lesser of the two evils? So what if I find the antics of the Republican party members ridiculous? I didn't say that. I said I was appalled at what was passed into law; and I'm especially concerned that it was done so quietly that some of us have just found out about it.

Maybe you should try to read posts for what they say instead of reading them for fodder for your sophomoric arguments.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
One ramification is that this DNA will make its way into a national or world crime database, along with DNA samples from convicts, convicted criminals and anyone whose ever been arrested, otherwise blood sampled, urinalysised, etc. Eventually, the governments of the world will build a database of everyone on the planet and make crime a very difficult proposition to get away with... in most cases.
Serious question here: Does this use outweigh the trampling of the rights of the citizens of the US in your mind?

Old 08-01-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
Thank you, I seriously feel like sometimes they have lost all respect for the fundamental principals of our nation. Then, to try to fix where they have wrongfully intruded, they intrude more! I use to love this country sooo much...our government, everything! I thought it was God's gift to the world, I feel like I've been let down. Perhaps I had too high of an image of us before, now, I feel like all of our inspiring principles and the beauties of our foundations are just mumble jumble and superficial...I feel like we're not backing it up, kind of like how were not backing up our currency. We need some sort of 'revival' I think, I don't know, something. I want to feel the way I used too.
I agree in principle with what you said. Weren't we all raised to have pride in our country? Didn't we develop the attitudes that we were a nation of laws; laws which were deliberated upon by people of integrity? Didn't we learn that the people who pass the laws were doing so on our behalf?

What has happened to our country? There are scandals in every corner and lawmakers pass laws in secret with which most people would not agree.

I surely hope the next generations will remember the good of the people as a whole and use that integrity to walk the straight and narrow.

Meanwhile, we can change what laws we are able to affect and vote with the best intentions for our own sakes and for our neighbors. And we can teach our children to act better than what we are seeing on the national front.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:09 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Serious question here: Does this use outweigh the trampling of the rights of the citizens of the US in your mind?
No. But point out what rights are being tampled on, just so we are on the same page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies