Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:42 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I have personal experience. And no, it's not one city, one county, one state. The whole fearmongering, "TRY IT ONCE AND YOU'RE HOOKED FOR LIFE!" is ridiculous. If you have an addictive personality, you're going to find something to be addicted to. Not everyone has that personality.
If you'd point out where I said everyone please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:52 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times
I don't mean to come off as "pro-meth" at all, personal experience has shown many former friends go down, in a bad way because of meth(booze even more so, but thats another thread.)

My problem is that the facts are misrepresented when it comes to drugs, we are giving false info, subjective studies and other total loads of crap, like the first post I responded to. As a teenager, when you start to realize just how much of the info is false, it can have the adverse effect. if parents/teachers/anti drug folks etc would be honest, show the facts for what they are rather than trying to say that the worst case scenario is the common one, I think we would have less drug problems in America.

Right now we say "drugs are bad" while dolling out pills to no end. We say "drugs are bad" while idolizing drug addicted musicians and actors, we say drugs are bad while we have a president who admits to doing cocaine, we say drugs are bad while many, many parents use themselves. we fail to educate about drugs, instead just saying "drugs are bad." How is all this interpreted by young minds? It has to be confusing.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:59 PM

769 posts, read 887,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
My problem is that the facts are misrepresented when it comes to drugs, we are giving false info, subjective studies and other total loads of crap, like the first post I responded to. As a teenager, when you start to realize just how much of the info is false, it can have the adverse effect. if parents/teachers/anti drug folks etc would be honest, show the facts for what they are rather than trying to say that the worst case scenario is the common one, I think we would have less drug problems in America.

I agree, when I was in high school I tried probably every drug under the sun save meth and heroin because it was pounded into me, "Don't do drugs, or you will be a loser, and be homeless...". Around age 17, I realized I had a good deal of self control and wanted to prove the stupid, shallow notions to be just what they are, wrong. Too many people take things at face value. If something was illegal when they are growing up the think it should stay illegal because it must be bad even though they have never tried it.

All that being said, we should concentrate on teaching our children how to control their impulses and take responsibility for their actions. Whether or not they party with coke a couple times should really be inconsequential.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:02 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Notice the "when did it become okay to make fun of fat people" thread. The same people cussing obese people are usually the same ones advocating the use of a drug that increases, dramatically, a persons appetite. Eating THC laced food only exacerbates the problem. Tell me your brownies cakes and muffins didn't increase your appetite. That disregards the fact that you're already eating foods that, to some, are considered unhealthy.
Yeah, and I work the food off. I don't care if someone wants to get fat as hell on THC food, its none of my business. That doesn't mean I'm going to hire them to work for me (because they are fat, I could care less if they use marijuana), but thats an entirely different issue.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:31 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Marijuana - InfoFacts - NIDA

Save the melodramatic response for someone else...
Read your own quote:

"however, a recent case-controlled study found no positive associations between marijuana use and lung, upper respiratory, or upper digestive tract cancers.9 Thus, the link between marijuana smoking and these cancers remains unsubstantiated at this time."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies