Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:35 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times

Advertisements

According to the latest climate news, Chicago has so far had the coldest July since 1945. Average temps have been somewhere around 68. It's either global warming, or climate change -- hard to decide which one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:37 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
They are made up of the very class of social elitist found in England during the 1930s who thought appeasing Hitler was a good thing. Not too bright are they?

Wow, someone compared science to appeasement and Adolf Hitler.

Well, that takes the D.A. award for the week. Congrats!

Old 07-29-2009, 05:39 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
According to the latest climate news, Chicago has so far had the coldest July since 1945. Average temps have been somewhere around 68. It's either global warming, or climate change -- hard to decide which one.
...yes, and other places are having record heat. What's your point? Individual weather patterns do not reflect on this issue.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:45 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Global warming, climate change, whatever you want to call it.

The fact is the environment is like a grandfather clock. The pendulum swings from one side to the other, its called a cycle, and I'm sure everyone knows that the world we live in has cycles.

What CO2 release on the scales that humans have done does, is push the pendulum a little harder. This doesn't mean we aren't going to have cold weather, it doesn't mean we are all going to cook to death in some Venus runaway green house effect. What it means is that we are going to see larger swings in our climate.

Bigger storms, more drought, higher water levels, etc.

Most people know that the climate is different now then what it used to be. I can remember being a kid in TN and having feet of snow to play in. That just doesn't happen there anymore. When I moved to Michigan, and complained about the winter, everyone said, "This is nothing, you should have seen what it was like when I was a kid".

My point is, everyone I know, even those who don't believe in global warming tell me that the weather used to be different then what it is now.

My proof, the northern ice pack is melting, and a northwest sea passage has opened up for the first time in recorded human history.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:49 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
What is it about the upward trend in temperatures that some people like? Is it that they are hoping for the disappearance of glaciers and the various ecosystems (and their species that will go with them) or is it they just like more powerful storms and rising tides beginning to claim development put there by man? Do they even realize how many Americans live within 50 miles of a coastline?

Is the thought of all this appealing to the climate change deniers, is it because they are just ignorant, or is it because they refuse to take responsibility or is it because those various monied interests responsible are able to convince them their eyes are lying to them from having Flush Limpballs and Sean Insanity blasting out propaganda that somehow contradicts what scientists have actually measured?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Global warming is the new religion of First World urban elites (http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Global+warming+religion+First+World+urban+elites/1835847/story.html - broken link)
Most of the people I know who believe in Global Warming as caused by man are not "elites" but regular people.

With so much graphic evidence, why deny it? What's the purpose?

People also denied that the Sun was the center of our universe and that the earth was a sphere...they were smart, right?

Old 07-29-2009, 06:03 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What is it about the upward trend in temperatures that some people like? Is it that they are hoping for the disappearance of glaciers and the various ecosystems (and their species that will go with them) or is it they just like more powerful storms and rising tides beginning to claim development put there by man? Do they even realize how many Americans live within 50 miles of a coastline?

Is the thought of all this appealing to the climate change deniers, is it because they are just ignorant, or is it because they refuse to take responsibility or is it because those various monied interests responsible are able to convince them their eyes are lying to them from having Flush Limpballs and Sean Insanity blasting out propaganda that somehow contradicts what scientists have actually measured?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Its the far left nuts that want everyone to stop driving their cars, and stop using all oil now, without an alternative, those are the ones that force an equal and opposite reaction.

The answer is in the middle, If global warming is real, can we really do anything about it? Many scientists believe we are already beyond the tipping point. That doesn't mean we should not do anything, it just means we should start doing things, in a responsible manner, so that it doesn't effect our standard of living.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
america has found a cost effective way for dealing with global warming, denial.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:07 PM

769 posts, read 887,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Most people know that the climate is different now then what it used to be. I can remember being a kid in TN and having feet of snow to play in. That just doesn't happen there anymore. When I moved to Michigan, and complained about the winter, everyone said, "This is nothing, you should have seen what it was like when I was a kid".

My point is, everyone I know, even those who don't believe in global warming tell me that the weather used to be different then what it is now.

My proof, the northern ice pack is melting, and a northwest sea passage has opened up for the first time in recorded human history.
This is human nature and has no base in science, only in psychology.

"When I was a kid we had to walk to school in 6 foot snow drifts and it was uphill both ways."-Everyone's grandfather

Everyone thinks they had it harder.

I'm not saying the Earth isn't getting warming, just pointing out that talk doesn't help, it has equal merit as the people saying it felt colder this winter.

The Earth is on an upswing in climate, not a drastically large one (no ferns in Greenland yet) but the argument should be over why. It should be what do we do. Not to stop it, but to survive it. Even if it is our fault, this global progressive tax won't dent it. If the greenies were serious and didn't just want to "level the playing field" they would call for every coal plant to be replaced by a nuke plant by 2020. But they are against the only solution we currently have to perform the drastic overhaul they call for.

What then, AGWers are we to do, if we are drastically altering our planet and the only solution to stop carbon output you won't accept, what are we to do besides giving up our way of life so a couple other species can live conscienceless short lives.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:11 PM

769 posts, read 887,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
People also denied that the Sun was the center of our universe and that the earth was a sphere...they were smart, right?
Except the ones that said it was at the center we politically motivated, same as the people pushing global warming.

There is no political reason I think AGW is a fraud, it is just because I've seen the data, methods, and research. I have been trained in the scientific method, and the data, methods, and research I've seen to positively correlate our current climate change to mankind activity is junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies