Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 02:50 PM

753 posts, read 758,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
So only patriotic Americans are the ones flying the Confederate flag?
Patriotic indeed. The only ones flying that flag are those with a bent view on loyalty, where those who kill their countrymen are considered heroes.

But fortunately those types are dwindling by the day. There's a demographic earthquake happening now that will give the Old South it's long-awaited and much-deserved burial. While Sherman's army couldn't burn you out, and a legion of civil rights lawyers couldn't prosecute you out, wave after wave of Yankee migrants and illegal Mexicans will eventually breed you out.

So in the not too distant future, the only place the hicktraitor flag will ever be displayed is on the wall of a bunker dug underneath some misfit's trailer.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:11 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
Patriotic indeed. The only ones flying that flag are those with a bent view on loyalty, where those who kill their countrymen are considered heroes.

But fortunately those types are dwindling by the day. There's a demographic earthquake happening now that will give the Old South it's long-awaited and much-deserved burial. While Sherman's army couldn't burn you out, and a legion of civil rights lawyers couldn't prosecute you out, wave after wave of Yankee migrants and illegal Mexicans will eventually breed you out.

So in the not too distant future, the only place the hicktraitor flag will ever be displayed is on the wall of a bunker dug underneath some misfit's trailer.

Dude, you're really taking the flag thing specifically and the civil war in general too seriously. It was 150 years ago after all. I don't think we have some underground succesionist group hiding out ready to run out of some cellar in Georgia screaming the rebel yell and ready to overthrow the government.

hey I just read somewhere that Grant's great grandson is a confederate civil war reanactor. Isn't that ironic, wonder if he has a rebel flag in his living room.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:20 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
...I don't think we have some underground succesionist group hiding out ready to run out of some cellar in Georgia screaming the rebel yell and ready to overthrow the government.

hey I just read somewhere that Grant's great grandson is a confederate civil war reanactor. Isn't that ironic, wonder if he has a rebel flag in his living room.
Shh, don't tell anyone, but no one was trying to take over the government, even then. Just start one of their own. That was a funny mental picture, though. Hiding out in a cellar in Georgia! Hah!

Wanna bet that he does have a Confederate Battle flag?

Old 04-24-2007, 10:59 PM

753 posts, read 758,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
Dude, you're really taking the flag thing specifically and the civil war in general too seriously. It was 150 years ago after all. I don't think we have some underground succesionist group hiding out ready to run out of some cellar in Georgia screaming the rebel yell and ready to overthrow the government.

I haven't a clue whether these confederate apologists are indeed secessionists, or just engaging in some perverse form of enemy-worship. What's more I don't care. What I do care about is them using that symbol in this day in age to fly over public institutions funded by *my* tax dollars.

But if you recall the original topic of this thread was "American Civil War -- opinions?" So while you dismiss it all as history, isn't that the point of this discussion?

Old 04-25-2007, 12:02 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,424 times
Quote:

I served my country 4 years active duty in the Marines. I dont fly the flag, but I dont have a problem at all with people who do, and I knew quite a few Marines who had the flag on their pick up trucks. So I dont think you are in any position to call these people traitors. Sounds like you just have a deep seeded hatred inside of you, worse than anything Ive ever read on this forum. No one can be prosecuted for flying the Confederate flag, and in NC its flown quite a bit. I know northerners who have moved here. Some even fly the flag and anyone Ive talked to doesnt care about it one way or the other.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:31 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaily View Post
At times I wish the south was its own country, I'm sick of it having so much influence in the Senate despite its lack of leadership otherwise. Regardless, if the seperation did occur I have a feeling, they would've joined the union again.

Them there words must come from the mouth of a north eastern yankee liberal.....

Old 04-25-2007, 02:58 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,255 times
Quote:
Just call me YankeeFistfightingDandy. I just have no patience for confederate throwbacks, that's all.

I'm saying they were traitors not only because they lost, but also because they benefited from a magnanimous United States of America that let them back into the family. Even though they didn't deserve it.

That's why it's so incredibly galling when today's so-called patriotic Americans insist on flying the hicktraitor flag over public buildings and use words like "honor" and "duty" to describe a band of lowlife, no-good turncoats.
Did your family fight in the civil war or were they slaves in the south or north ? I ask this because you really seem pissed off at anyone from the south .

Old 04-26-2007, 10:47 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
I haven't a clue whether these confederate apologists are indeed secessionists, or just engaging in some perverse form of enemy-worship.
I don't see it as any different from the Italian flag flying over a branch of the Sons of Italy, or a Mexican flag in a Mexican restaurant. Most Southerner who fly the Confederate flag are nothing more than people are honoring their heritage and their ancestry. There are always a few wing nuts who use it for racist or other heinous purposes. But by and large, the Confederate flag is simply a piece of history -- both Southern history, and U.S. history.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:03 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,773 times
Thank you, Ohiogirl. Another one who "gets it"!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:12 PM

43 posts, read 191,931 times
i wouldnt mind seeing a new civil war. and the outcome should be usa split in half. conservatives can have the west, and liberals can have the east. if the conservatives want to bring themselves down, they can do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies