Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
How would you even be able to determine that? There have been very few blacks who have even had minority ownership of a team.
It was just speculation on my part. I think it's worth considering theories to explain things other than, "it must be racism".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:06 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Because it's very easy for some people to blame others for their problems.
OK.....what problems do I have that I blame on whites?

Quote:
I do acknowledge that some whites are anti-black (just as some blacks are anti-white), but I don't agree with your statement that there is a white power-structure that controls everything.
So what do nonwhites control?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:06 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Don't look at four black people...............Look at the overall demographics of these industries, the compensation levels and just who occupies which positions in these industries. Just because there are 4 black CEOs doesn't disprove what I said.
Actually, I think it does. You said,
Quote:
blacks are kept out of many occupations (finance, technology, etc) that are lucrative. And that is definitely racism.
Pointing out four companies in those fields with black CEOs or Presidents completely DESTROYS your hypothesis. Clearly, blacks are NOT kept out of these fields. You may want to believe that blacks are kept out of those fields, but you'll have to show me some proof of it. I've given some proof that you're wrong. Counter it with fact, if you like.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It was just speculation on my part. I think it's worth considering theories to explain things other than, "it must be racism".

Speculation is, among other things, dangerous and irresponsible.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Actually, I think it does. You said, .
Pointing out four companies in those fields with black CEOs or Presidents completely DESTROYS your hypothesis.
Not in the least.

Quote:
Clearly, blacks are NOT kept out of these fields. You may want to believe that blacks are kept out of those fields, but you'll have to show me some proof of it. I've given some proof that you're wrong. Counter it with fact, if you like.
The only thing you have proven is that there are four black people in these fields.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Not in the least.

The only thing you have proven is that there are four black people in these fields.
This is how you want to have a conversation? Saying I'm wrong, and providing no fact or data to demonstrate that fact?

Have a nice night.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
I never said these holidays were for whites and only whites. Just that they are of European origin and associated with the culture of whites. I have been to Bastille Day in NYC many times (partly because I have traced my ancestry to France).
What really irks me is how folks just lump all whites as if we all somehow share a common culture. I'm sorry but we whites don't have just one common culture. Whites are made up of diverse cultural groups that have origins in Europe. I don't particularly celebrate holidays such as Oktober Fest as I'm not German.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
No........it's because blacks are kept out of many occupations (finance, technology, etc) that are lucrative. And that is definitely racism.
How are they "kept out" of those occupations? To get anywhere in life, one must make sacrifices and work hard. This does not guarantee success but not making sacrifices and by not working hard, you are pretty much guaranteed failure. There needs to come a time where people need to quit blaming white folks for their lack of success.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Not in the least.

If there are "four" (I'm sure the number is actually higher) blacks who hold high level positions within these fields, then how are they kept out then? As I stated previously, it takes hard work and tons of sacrifices for someone to attain a high level position. A person's skin color has no bearings on it.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
How are they "kept out" of those occupations? To get anywhere in life, one must make sacrifices and work hard. This does not guarantee success but not making sacrifices and by not working hard, you are pretty much guaranteed failure. There needs to come a time where people need to quit blaming white folks for their lack of success.

You're right. You're the expert.

I don't know any black people who work hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies