Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:55 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
not much of a private email when you send it to a major news paper
Exactly! Which is why my inquisitive mind has to wonder, why was this done? Sorry if I have a hard time buying this at face value. There has been a trend lately, to stir up racial tension. And just as the Gate's issue began to clear up, we get something new to talk about. Just a little to convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:56 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I had the same opinion until I learned that it was a mass email that he sent out, not a private one. In addition, he sent his comments to a newspaper for publication.
Understood and I knew that from the article. It was still a non-official e-mail and he was representing his personal thoughts and not the Boston Police. The minute he puts on the uniform or uses the police e-mail, then he represents his employer and the citizens of Boston. If he spews that crap while on duty, then he should be canned. I just have a problem with an employer, especially the government, punishing people's private thoughts that are not expressed in an official capacity.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:57 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Understood and I knew that from the article. It was still a non-official e-mail and he was representing his personal thoughts and not the Boston Police. The minute he puts on the uniform or uses the police e-mail, then he represents his employer and the citizens of Boston. If he spews that crap while on duty, then he should be canned. I just have a problem with an employer, especially the government, punishing people's private thoughts that are not expressed in an official capacity.
Ah, okay. Well then I'm back to agreeing with you.

Sometimes I don't read things as closely as I should.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:11 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
'Jungle monkey' e-mail jeopardizes Boston officer's job - CNN.com

A Boston, Massachusetts, police officer who sent a mass e-mail in which he referred to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. as "banana-eating" and a "bumbling jungle monkey" has been placed on administrative leave and faces losing his job

It's good that he is being held accountable for his actions.

Now if we could just hold some other racists accountable for their hate speech, the world would be a much nicer place.

'Jungle monkey' e-mail jeopardizes Boston officer's job-rev_wright.jpg

“Them Jews aren’t going to let him talk to me. I told my baby daughter, that he’ll talk to me in five years when he’s a lame duck, or in eight years when he’s out of office. …

“They will not let him to talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is. … I said from the beginning: He’s a politician; I’m a pastor. He’s got to do what politicians do.â€

Wright also said Obama should have sent a U.S. delegation to the World Conference on Racism held recently in Geneva, Switzerland, but that the president did not do so for fear of offending Jews and Israel.

Rev. Wright: “Them Jews Won’t Let Obama Speak To Me …†« Infidels Paradise

Old 07-30-2009, 01:29 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
When I was young one of the lessons I learned from my mom was to never put anything in writing that could be used against you. This was before the days of computers and instant-everything. It was also a lesson I had to teach my own kids when instant messaging and online blogging became fashionable (there was some trouble early on, catty girl things). This is something I've practiced my entire life and am constantly stunned by everyone that can't seem to grasp that idea.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:40 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
When I was young one of the lessons I learned from my mom was to never put anything in writing that could be used against you. This was before the days of computers and instant-everything. It was also a lesson I had to teach my own kids when instant messaging and online blogging became fashionable (there was some trouble early on, catty girl things). This is something I've practiced my entire life and am constantly stunned by everyone that can't seem to grasp that idea.
I think you'd have to seriously withdraw from society if you don't put anything in writing that could be used against you. And you'd also have to avoid saying anything on video or audio.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:50 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think you'd have to seriously withdraw from society if you don't put anything in writing that could be used against you. And you'd also have to avoid saying anything on video or audio.
I've managed quite nicely for 50 years now. Granted, I'm not a public figure so I don't have video/audio issues. But how hard is it to not make a fool of yourself in writing? I may say stupid things, or tell an off color joke, but I don't have to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and put it in writing. It's really not hard at all.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:11 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Exactly! Which is why my inquisitive mind has to wonder, why was this done? Sorry if I have a hard time buying this at face value. There has been a trend lately, to stir up racial tension. And just as the Gate's issue began to clear up, we get something new to talk about. Just a little to convenient.
I agree. I don't believe in coincidences even though they seem to happen all the time.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:14 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This is one of the best lessons my mom gave to me. Never put anything in writing you don't want others to read. I passed it along to my kids also.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:02 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
If he said it, then he's got to accept responsibility. I think his thoughts are disgusting and I do not agree with his choice of words or his meaning.

Having said that... the question I would ask to all of our civil libertarian friends is what was illegal about what he did? Answer: Nothing.

Having said that...if he sent the mail off duty from his personal e-mail account, is it the business of the Boston Police? Answer: Nope.

I think he's an idiot, but he has the right to be an idiot just as much as Gates has the right to be an idiot. When we start punishing people because of their private (off duty and not in an official capacity) speech, isn't that a slippery slope?
What if his employment contract has a "good behavior" clause. Kind of like what is in some athlete's contracts that talks about behavior that is outside of working hours? That may be a factor in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies