Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:54 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,107 times

Advertisements

It depends on the policies that are in place. But in all likelihood, the officer will be terminated. The Boston PD has a poor reputation as it relates to race relations and having an officer who has publicly made these types of comments does not help them. Every time he stopped or arrested a black person (not to mention prosecuted), it would be called into question. He would basically be useless.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
There is a big difference between someone who THINKS something and someone who ACTS OUT his thoughts.

I don't want to live in a country where we punish people for their thoughts. Now if he acts out or has acted out his bias in the past, then he should be punished or fired. I agree that cops who ACT in a biased manner should not be in that job.

At this point, we only know about an e-mail he sent. We don't have any information (that I've seen) that would indicate that he believes what he said or has ever acted out in a biased manner towards citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:56 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
If an employee behaves in a manner that tarnishes a department or a company, the employer has every right to fire them. No one is owed a job.
I agree. That's why I think that Gates should resign as well.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:02 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Very disturbing and disappointing. However, just as there are a lot of angry black people in this country over the slavery issue and thinking that they are being racially profiled and demeaned, there is also a lot of angry frustrated cops. I don't doubt that his police officer has always acted fairly and professional towards minorities, but I think that his email was due to being tired of blacks tossing around the race card like Gates did and getting away with those false accusations. And I don't blame him as so many people do treat cops very poorly and without respect. The Gates incident tipped this cop over the edge and his inner private thoughts became public ones. The Gates incident has made a lot of non-blacks very angry about the race issue with Gates going on and on about the black man in America. Just shut up already about it.

It's not fair that it's okay for the public to stereotype and think poorly of police, then turn around and get angry when it's thought that blacks are being put down by others. Cops are human too. Both blacks and cops are groups that have equal rights to be respected. And both groups do have bad apples in them.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:04 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I agree. That's why I think that Gates should resign as well.

Tom, I have to say that i agree as well. I'm appauld that he acted in this manner. I don't care that he was in his own home. The thing that really got me is the fact that he went on television and rehashed the story as if he was an innocent victim, he acted like a child.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:05 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Where is the liberal ideal of "innocent until proven guilty?" I'm not defending him. I'm just pointing out that absent some clause in his contract that was mentioned earlier, his employer shouldn't be punishing him for personal thoughts made off duty.

I don't care if he's a racist. He has a right to be a racist. I only care if he is ACTING in racist ways with citizens. Big difference.
His employer has a right and an ethical responsibility to fire him for denigrating the image of his organisation alone. Let's not even get into whether it's a wise idea to have such a man on a police force.

This is why they screen cops you know.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Very disturbing and disappointing. However, just as there are a lot of angry black people in this country over the slavery issue and thinking that they are being racially profiled and demeaned, there is also a lot of angry frustrated cops. I don't doubt that his police officer has always acted fairly and professional towards minorities, but I think that his email was due to being tired of blacks tossing around the race card like Gates did and getting away with those false accusations. And I don't blame him as so many people do treat cops very poorly and without respect. The Gates incident tipped this cop over the edge and his inner private thoughts became public ones. The Gates incident has made a lot of non-blacks very angry about the race issue with Gates going on and on about the black man in America. Just shut up already about it.

It's not fair that it's okay for the public to stereotype and think poorly of police, then turn around and get angry when it's thought that blacks are being put down by others. Cops are human too. Both blacks and cops are groups that have equal rights to be respected. And both groups do have bad apples in them.
Oh yeah, we all go bat**** every once and a while in bring out the antiquated racial slurs. Who among us hasn't!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:08 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
His employer has a right and an ethical responsibility to fire him for denigrating the image of his organisation alone..

So you agree Gates should be fired as well.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:09 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
If the cop isn't fired, he's still going to be stigmatized for the email he sent. Do you honestly want to go around being known as the guy who used that term? He sounds like a moron. I'm sure a small subset of the populous would support it, but I doubt too many people will look at him the same.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:09 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enoughwiththenames View Post
and visit theobamaforum dot com
really, go spend some time there.
That website has been discussed and debunked as a joke site months ago.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
So you agree Gates should be fired as well.
If Harvard wants to fire Gates, they have that right. I'd find some of Gate's conduct unbecoming of a professor at a prestigious university myself.

Yeah, guess you didn't see that coming did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies