Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:01 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Grew up on a farm?

Worked at a K-Mart?

Sounds like she has the intelligence and education of a typical Republican.
These are the "real" Americans that Sarah Palin was talking about. Typical dumb redneck who votes for GOP and probably makes $7/hr. Ignorance is bliss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:05 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
If this elderly woman's reasoning was a bit more sound, this would actually be a very intelligent decision. I try to watch as little TV as possible, although I do have my favorite shows like everyone else. And while Obama is on occasionally, it certainly isn't all the time. But I fear you are misrepresenting the reasons Obama has been on TV so much lately. He is trying to sell the people his plan, just like every other salesman that has graced our Oval Office. And he is pushing hard, because many Americans aren't buying it at face value. And they shouldn't, especially if they haven't actually read the bill. Why is it so hard for you folks to understand Obama's plan needs work? You seem to expect people to just accept it with a smile and let the clones in Washington do whatever they please.

Obama has misrepresented his bill on numerous occasions, anyone who has read through it would know that already. So either many of you haven't read it at all and are just taking Obama's word for it, or you have and you just don't care as long as your team carries the ball for the touchdown. Now I am not saying Obama's intentions are bad. He may truly believe he is trying to do the right thing for Americans. But the thing is, he didn't write this bill and he most assuredly hasn't read it. Hell, most congressmen haven't read it. And that in itself should be a big problem for the American people. Our reps are preparing to vote on a bill which they haven't even read. And this isn't some small time bill, this will affect every citizen in this great country.

Many of you like to attack and degrade each other, using your stereotypes as the reason you either oppose or support this bill. I call on you to put your affiliations aside, and ask for stipulations before just accepting this bill. Demand all reps have a working knowledge of every aspect of this bill so that they can "accurately" answer any questions from their constituents. Our country is young in comparison with the rest of the world, and we still haven't worked out all the kinks. One of those kinks has been actually working together as a people. It's so much easier to attack one another than to actually make joint demands that make sense.

I realize I am fighting a losing battle by asking people to unite. Because that just isn't human nature is it? But either way, you should all atleast understand the value of knowledge. And that is something our citizens and our reps lack when discussing this bill. Most of us have never even seen a copy, and the reps haven't even taken the time to read it. This should not be acceptable, no matter what side you take.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:06 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
At least this story has brought out all the race baiting bigots from the left.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:35 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I can't wait to be old enough to get away with saying anything I want. Seriously.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:40 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
[quote=jillz;10020728]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Sounds like someone needed cable.

quote]

You know how some older folks are with electronic stuff, she couldn't figure out how to either turn the channel or turn it off so she has to sell it!
Either that or the TV came with a picture of Obama covering the screen and she didn't realize you have to peel it off and plug in the television.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:42 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Well, she got her fifteen minutes of fame.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:50 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Who is gonna buy a 78 year old woman's television sets? She's darn near 80! They can't be anywhere near 2009 standard.

#1. Probably not cable ready.

#2. Probably not color tvs.

#3. Probably don't have a remote control.

#4. Probably no DTV converter. (That's the real reason why she's selling them, and too cheap to pay for cable or dish.)

This pic is probably more photo realistic to what she actually has:

http://blog.prospect.org/blog/ezraklein/2009/01/27/rabbit_ears_2.jpg/rabbit_ears.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-30-2009, 12:51 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I guess that's a polite way of saying; "OMG, Black people are taking over everything!"

golfgod
LOLOL, I'm affraid you might be right on this one.

Either that or dementia is setting in early, who knows.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:56 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
she didn't buy a new tv, little buddy.

so who's the stupid one one here, again?
Oh, so sorry, the old dolt didn't BUY a flat screen...she had one!

Carroll woman's answer to highly visible Obama: Selling her televisions[/SIZE]
=2]By DOUGLAS BURNS
[SIZE=1]Wednesday, July 29, 2009[/SIZE]

"""The reason: "Obama on every channel and station.""""[/SIZE]

]( The poor old dotty repub is hallucinating..LOL!)[/SIZE]

"""In an interview Nissen said she is serious about selling two TVs - and genuine about her disgust with what she believes to be an overexposed president.[/SIZE]

"I just got tired of watching him on every channel," Nissen said. "I thought, my gosh, does he ever stay at the White House?"[/SIZE]

"I have the remote real handy," Nissen said. "I have the batteries. I'm ready for him."[/SIZE]

Nissen's annoyance with the president as a frequent presence on her television doesn't mean she'll abandon the medium altogether.[/SIZE]

She's keeping a bigger flat-screen television and selling an older 20-inch Sony and possibly a 13-inch set."""""""

Better now?

So why isn't she selling THAT one if she's so offended by seeing the President of her country on TV ??

Different programming on a flat screen???

Old 07-30-2009, 12:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I guess that's a polite way of saying; "OMG, Black people are taking over everything!"

golfgod
Well, that didn't take long. How unexpected. /sarcasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies