Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 09:36 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
If there's one group that is consistently against armed citizens expressing their perceived rights it is the police chiefs of America. They have their officers to worry about.
Yep! If I were a police chief, I'd be plenty concerned about my officers. When the police get involved in a shooting incident, they are trained to spray and pray. Brass rains, and projectiles fly in the general direction of the intended target towards parts unknown. Private citizens , who fire in self defense, put the fired rounds into the attacker, and usually fire a VERY limited number of rounds. I, personally, witnessed a police shooting back in 92, involving three officers and one perp. One of the officers was the police chief. The suspect fired once, the officers expended 48 rounds of handgun ammunition, before one officer retrieved a shotgun from his cruiser and finally hit the guy. Oh yea! If I were a police chief, I'd be plenty worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 10:09 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yep! If I were a police chief, I'd be plenty concerned about my officers. When the police get involved in a shooting incident, they are trained to spray and pray. Brass rains, and projectiles fly in the general direction of the intended target towards parts unknown. Private citizens , who fire in self defense, put the fired rounds into the attacker, and usually fire a VERY limited number of rounds. I, personally, witnessed a police shooting back in 92, involving three officers and one perp. One of the officers was the police chief. The suspect fired once, the officers expended 48 rounds of handgun ammunition, before one officer retrieved a shotgun from his cruiser and finally hit the guy. Oh yea! If I were a police chief, I'd be plenty worried.
You've confirmed what has been my experience, the real rabid NRA gun nuts don't really support the local police.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
You've confirmed what has been my experience, the real rabid NRA gun nuts don't really support the local police.
LMAO, you assume much about me. I work quite closely with the local SO and PD and with a couple in neighboring towns as well. I help their firearms instructors organize training and competitions, which their officers do not attend, unless they are paid overtime to do so, and that with the departments supplying all the ammo they can shoot and waiving entry fees, which go towards range improvements and training/competition costs. Before you make a statement like the one above, you really should consider who you might be talking to. I support local law enforcement at every opportunity, unfortunatly, the rank and file officers do not take advantage of that support. Not unless they are handsomely compensated to do so, on top of the expense already laid out to help them out, much of which comes from my own pocket and seriously cuts into the proceeds from the competitions I run in conjunction with their departments. Your experience? What experience? Reading the Washington Post? I really want to know...where is the LE support for our support? With a few noteable exceptions, the rank and file spit in our faces, and then claim we don't support them enough, and then, comments like your post I quoted above, go to show how far the ignorance goes.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:47 AM

271 posts, read 251,490 times
Tom, I own an M16 and they are not limited to number by state, they are a nation wide closed pool of weapons due to your god Reagan signing and closing new weapons from being added. You do not have to have a class three FFL, you need a to get a permit that goes to a paticular gun class 3 that is for that gun and you. You do not have to pay an anual fee, only a one time fee of 200$ for the back ground check. Control of an automatic weapon and I have fired everything form a MP40 to AK47 in full auto varies greatly, an M16 I can contorl with one hand, also with an MP40, Not so with an M14 or AK47. I can with two hands keep the fire on a target without letting up. The biggest reason for not extending fire is to not over heat the bbl and burn it out. I doubt tom has any assault weapons as he clearly does not know the law and since an assault weapon is a short to med. range cart. with selective fire capability I would think this is more of tom exageration. Tom will use rethorical devices from false dilemma to red harrings, watch his bull crap.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Are you referring to Hitler's SS? I agree, they had automatic weapons and rarely gave up.

In order to own a machine gun as a private citizen, you must have a class 3 weapons liscence, which are limited in number in each state. One has to go through a farily extensive background check and pay an annual fee. Unless you have several machine guns, or are a class 3 dealer, it is really not worth it to own a machine gun. Also, from a tactical standpoint, full auto is very difficult to control with the exception of short bursts, and so a semi-auto is probably a better weapon for accurate shooting. Spraying into a room, I suppose, would be different, but a shotgun would do the same thing.

I am probably what you consider a right winger and have many assault rifles and handguns. However, I have no desire to shoot anything but paper targets and an occasional pheasant. I do not know of any of my friends who have gone berserk with guns, nor am I aware of any legal machine gun owner in the US using that weapon to committ crimes.

Where do you get this image and impression of gun owners gone wild? Television? Also, grenades are a little hard to come by, as the last time I went to the gun shop, there were none for sale. They were fresh out of rocket launchers also.
I didn't say "gun owners". I am a member of the NRA and I fully support your right to own a firearm and to carry it if you have a permit to do so. What I am saying is these right wing looney militia types are not people the police wish to battle. They would rather die and kill everybody else they can doing so. And alot of Republicans think they these folks should be able to buy automatic weapons, armour bullets and 50mm cannons! These are not guns any sane people need to hunt or for self defense. And the police don't stand a chance against them.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Seems pretty convenient to me;

gun sales up-crime down!
What gun sales say is that people in the end want the right to own a gun and defend themselves in this society is that the poice are no longer able to defend the individual in this scoiety from eminent attack.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I didn't say "gun owners". I am a member of the NRA and I fully support your right to own a firearm and to carry it if you have a permit to do so. What I am saying is these right wing looney militia types are not people the police wish to battle. They would rather die and kill everybody else they can doing so. And alot of Republicans think they these folks should be able to buy automatic weapons, armour bullets and 50mm cannons! These are not guns any sane people need to hunt or for self defense. And the police don't stand a chance against them.
'armour bullets'? '50mm cannons'? What are these things' exactly? Goes to show that one need not know what they are talking about to have an opinion. By the way, the LAPD has a few 50 CALIBER Barrett sniper rifles(for what we know not) but they can't get them repaired or maintained because civilian use of these rifles is illegal in CA, and the maker told them to stuff themselves.. So, if the cops 'don't stand a chance' , how is it that they are so heavily armed, and have NEVER used such weapons in confrontatons? ANYWHERE. Lol, they have them though. And then some. Outgunned indeed. I never saw a street thug use a Barrett, or any other heavy weapon, so, why do the cops need them?

Old 08-01-2009, 12:51 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
As i said in a earlier post, properly directed paranoia can be very profitable.

All this manufactured fear is creating extremely large benefits for a few.

They thank you. Keep up the good work.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:14 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbet View Post
Tom, I own an M16 and they are not limited to number by state, they are a nation wide closed pool of weapons due to your god Reagan signing and closing new weapons from being added. You do not have to have a class three FFL, you need a to get a permit that goes to a paticular gun class 3 that is for that gun and you. You do not have to pay an anual fee, only a one time fee of 200$ for the back ground check. Control of an automatic weapon and I have fired everything form a MP40 to AK47 in full auto varies greatly, an M16 I can contorl with one hand, also with an MP40, Not so with an M14 or AK47. I can with two hands keep the fire on a target without letting up. The biggest reason for not extending fire is to not over heat the bbl and burn it out. I doubt tom has any assault weapons as he clearly does not know the law and since an assault weapon is a short to med. range cart. with selective fire capability I would think this is more of tom exageration. Tom will use rethorical devices from false dilemma to red harrings, watch his bull crap.

Tim, the laws regarding ownership of machine guns vary from state to state. Here is a general link:

Legal Issues

An "assualt weapon" is not necessarily a short range weapon. An Ar 15 is accurate out to 500 yards with scope. We shoot mostly ar-15s with open sites and holo sites to 200 yards, but scoped versions we have are very accurate to 500 yards (but with 4 feet of drop). This cartridege drops the same as a .308 used in our ar 10s. I have collected rifles and shot since I was a kid.

Tim has some difficulties. Tim, please call Captain Mike Allred at the Wichita Police Department. They have been trying to contact you.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:18 PM

526 posts, read 1,755,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
We'll probably get the leftists' usual gun-owners-are-stupid-and-hillbillies-and-rednecks-and-whatever-else-we-can-make-up tripe, as they try to deflect attention from the author's point: That fundamental dissatisfaction with the Federal government is growing.

But once you get past that, it's interesting to note the other salient points here: It's not just reactionaries who are buying guns in record numbers, and not just to resist government. It's people who are concerned about increasing numbers of common criminals that will come from a government soft on crime; increasing numbers of lawbreaking illegal aliens encouraged by the majority party's attempts to grant amnesty in various forms; and even police who are worried about the effects of ordinary people's disdain for increasing regulations and restrictions, that weaken their respect for ALL laws.

-------------------------------

Note From a Cop Written–Scott Wagner « -THE "G" BLOGS ~ Gunny G Online -

Note From a Cop
30 June 2009

Written By: Scott Wagner a Police Academy Commander and Professor at Columbus State Community College in Columbus Ohio, and Commander of the 727 Counter Terror Training Unit. A 29 year law enforcement veteran, and current Deputy Sheriff, he is the Precision Marksman for the Union County Sheriff’s Office SRT Team.

-------------------------------------

The fear on the street is palpable. Ever since the election of Barack Obama as President of these United States in November 2008, coupled with the election of a democrat party majority in both the U.S. House and Senate, concern for the United States and personal safety has ignited like a fire in dry grass.
[MOD CUT/copyright]

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Without the 2nd Amendment, the first Amendment is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies