Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:37 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You can't be a lawyer. A real attorney would know a doctor doesn't just show up to the trial and leave after 2 hours. It requires several meetings and hours of time deliberating with the attorneys.

First of all, I didn't take that case because I want to focus my time on patients rather than waste time in the courts. Furthermore, the attorneys who approached me claimed their judgement would likely yield a fee in excess of 1 million and that perhaps my fee would be more. It was a preliminary discussion. For 85,000 fee, I'm confident they could find a physician who would testify for less.

You are also assuming the lawyer is working on 100% contigency which many don't and still charge their clients fees. Also, attorneys aren't forced to represent people. They weigh the likelihood that they will win a case based on the evidence. The paralegal fees you quoted are grossly inflated. The average paralegal salary is 44,000 with a range of 25K-60K so how are they getting 33% to 50% of their annual salary in one case? I don't think so. The attorney is keeping most of that 85,000 fee yet that's not enough?
I get you two confused. But was it you are hawkeye that said that they took two depositions a week for the insurance company? I am assuming that you were using the article that you cited. In the article the person stated that based on a cap and the attorney getting a third. That is a contingency basis when the attorney gets a percentage not by the hour. I am assuming that you read the article that you cited. Again under a contingency based fee system which is what the article you cited was talking about, you only get that if you win. The paralegal analysis is an estimate it depends on whether you have to contract one for the litigation or whether you pay the paralegal. By the way good paralegals in Atlanta can pull down anywhere between 80k and 110K for mass tort litigation, which is a lot more complicated than med mal.

You would not have a problem finding an attorney if you were going to retain him for 83,000. Why must you misrepresent things. Go back and read your own article. You are wasting everyones time when you misrepresent your own article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 10:32 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I get you two confused. But was it you are hawkeye that said that they took two depositions a week for the insurance company? I am assuming that you were using the article that you cited. In the article the person stated that based on a cap and the attorney getting a third. That is a contingency basis when the attorney gets a percentage not by the hour. I am assuming that you read the article that you cited. Again under a contingency based fee system which is what the article you cited was talking about, you only get that if you win. The paralegal analysis is an estimate it depends on whether you have to contract one for the litigation or whether you pay the paralegal. By the way good paralegals in Atlanta can pull down anywhere between 80k and 110K for mass tort litigation, which is a lot more complicated than med mal.

You would not have a problem finding an attorney if you were going to retain him for 83,000. Why must you misrepresent things. Go back and read your own article. You are wasting everyones time when you misrepresent your own article.
So when you see those personal injury lawyers on television, do you get excited?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:42 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
This thread is depressing. It is abundantly clear to me that I chose the wrong profession!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
As I understand it, the lawyer's fee is on top of the cost of running the case (expert witnesses, etc). Like, "This is my fee...plus expenses."

Old 07-30-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
This thread is depressing. It is abundantly clear to me that I chose the wrong profession!
LOL same here! When $85,000 per case isn't enough of a fee, you know you are in the wrong field And what's funny are the retorts: "No they only get 55,000 of that fee"

Old 07-30-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
As I understand it, the lawyer's fee is on top of the cost of running the case (expert witnesses, etc). Like, "This is my fee...plus expenses."
Yes, I think that's right. I forgot that lawyers subtract their "expenses"(2 hour power lunches at three star restaurants") from their fee. Nice call

Old 07-31-2009, 07:23 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Yes, I think that's right. I forgot that lawyers subtract their "expenses"(2 hour power lunches at three star restaurants") from their fee. Nice call
Thats not true. You are being silly.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:41 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
It's the docs out playing golf at the country club on Thursday afternoon while the lawyers work.

Interesting article in the Washington Post today about all the shenanigans doctors pull. Want to be sure you get a CT scan for whatever aliment you have? Go to a doc who owns his own CT scanner.
washingtonpost.com

Old 07-31-2009, 02:55 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
It's the docs out playing golf at the country club on Thursday afternoon while the lawyers work.

Interesting article in the Washington Post today about all the shenanigans doctors pull. Want to be sure you get a CT scan for whatever aliment you have? Go to a doc who owns his own CT scanner.
washingtonpost.com
Yes. And all doctors are just like that one.

Btw, that is out of pocket for the patients. Rich people who have nothing better to do than spend 800 bucks on a 'whole body scan.' How is that different from elective plastic surgery?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:03 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
Haha, I only make 40K a year currently, but most of the clients I talk to live within that range, so I get in essence why they claim to need that amount, but whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies