Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:53 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times

Advertisements

The markets have been getting the cr*p beat out of them the last couple of weeks. My question is:

Where have all the folks who crowed about dumping the dollar and buying gold all gone?

What about those who harped that no one was buying US treasury bonds and that the bond rate was skyrocketing in response?

What about those who screamed that inflation was going make the dollar worthless and that oil prices were shooting through the roof?

Can it be that the price of gold (and other precious metals) has plummitted?
Can it that the dollar has risen against the Euro?
Can it be that the government is having no problems selling bonds at well below 4%?
Can it be that inflation is still not an issue and that oil prices are falling?

Any of you folks who harped about all that stuff care to explain?

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 02:58 PM

Nobody brave enough to fess up eh?

Well let me add this tidbit into the mix. Apparently Peter Schiff - of of the so-called experts the Doom and Gloom crowd are constantly quoting - apparently did pretty darned poorly last year with his own company and was down 40-70%.

"12 Ways Schiff Was Wrong in 2008

Wrong about hyperinflation
Wrong about the dollar
Wrong about commodities except for gold
Wrong about foreign currencies except for the Yen
Wrong about foreign equities
Wrong in timing
Wrong in risk management
Wrong in buy and hold thesis
Wrong on decoupling
Wrong on China
Wrong on US treasuries
Wrong on interest rates, both foreign and domestic "

Peter Schiff’s Euro Pacific Capital Down 40 - 70% in 2008?

Ken

Old 07-08-2009, 03:04 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Well, I didn't make any of the claims that you mentioned, but I personally would be a little hesitant to wave the victory flag just yet. The last time I checked, the world is still in a deep recession and anything seems to be possible at this point.

Perhaps it's because no one quite understands this recession? Our government just declared quite loudly that it had "misread" it, didn't they?

Old 07-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Well, I didn't make any of the claims that you mentioned, but I personally would be a little hesitant to wave the victory flag just yet. The last time I checked, the world is still in a deep recession and anything seems to be possible at this point.
I'm not claiming victory. Clearly this is a tough tough recession to dig our way out of. I DO think the stock market will turn around - and probably bring higher prices and high bond rates with it (and probably a declining dollar) - since those things ARE tied to a recoverying economy. I'm of the opinion that despite the increase in unemployment claims from last month, next mont will see a return to the gradual decrease in claims and a bit better news on the overall economy.

Of course, only time will tell for sure.

Thanks for replying.
I WOULD like to hear from the various folks out there (you know who you are) who made all those claims about the declining dollar and soaring gold and oil prices.

Ken

Old 07-08-2009, 03:14 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,975,389 times
Soon enough Obama will be giving money to everyone at the street corner. Not literally, but the amount of "free" money will overwhelm the lost credit and inflation will soon take hold.

Treasuries are extremely volatile and only an idiot would buy them up. My foreign stocks are doing outstanding.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Soon enough Obama will be giving money to everyone at the street corner. Not literally, but the amount of "free" money will overwhelm the lost credit and inflation will soon take hold.

Treasuries are extremely volatile and only an idiot would buy them up. My foreign stocks are doing outstanding.
US stocks have done pretty well too - until just recently anyway (and still up pretty darned well from their lows).

So which international markets are you in that are doing so well (and are they STILL going up - or are you referring to earlier gains)? Looks to me like China is the only one holding up at the moment (at least at a quick glance).

Ken

Old 07-08-2009, 03:30 PM

Sorry for the deleted message.
I created a double posting somehow - so I deleted one of them.

Ken

Old 07-08-2009, 03:31 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,975,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
US stocks have done pretty well too - until just recently anyway (and still up pretty darned well from their lows).

So which international markets are you in that are doing so well (and are they STILL going up - or are you referring to earlier gains)? Looks to me like China is the only one holding up at the moment (at least at a quick glance).

Ken
Some New Zealand stuff, mostly held up by the strengthening NZ dollar, yes lots of Chinese stocks. Over the past 2 days there was a tiny pullback, but nothing at all like Americans are experiencing. Also, gold is all over the place and it's not an investment -- it's money.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Some New Zealand stuff, mostly held up by the strengthening NZ dollar, yes lots of Chinese stocks. Over the past 2 days there was a tiny pullback, but nothing at all like Americans are experiencing. Also, gold is all over the place and it's not an investment -- it's money.
Yeah, I see the NZD has been doing pretty well since March. I used to watch the NZD vs USD echange rate pretty closely because I took a couple of trips to the beautiful Cook Islands. First trip it was .45 of a USD. Second it had crept up to .65 of a USD. Not too different from that now from the look of things.

Ken

Old 07-08-2009, 04:28 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The markets have been getting the cr*p beat out of them the last couple of weeks. My question is:

Where have all the folks who crowed about dumping the dollar and buying gold all gone?

What about those who harped that no one was buying US treasury bonds and that the bond rate was skyrocketing in response?

What about those who screamed that inflation was going make the dollar worthless and that oil prices were shooting through the roof?

Can it be that the price of gold (and other precious metals) has plummitted?
Can it that the dollar has risen against the Euro?
Can it be that the government is having no problems selling bonds at well below 4%?
Can it be that inflation is still not an issue and that oil prices are falling?

Any of you folks who harped about all that stuff care to explain?

Ken
no the dollar has not risen against the euro.
Between March - June 2009, the dollar's value has fallen 11% against the euro. i suppose that globalists would like to see the dollar drop, but i am betting that the average american does not want to see the dollar drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies