Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:26 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times

Advertisements

Bailed out execs give themselves billions in bonuses - the worst welfare cheats out there!

• Goldman Sachs, which earned $2.3 billion last year and received $10 billion in TARP funding, paid out $4.8 billion in bonuses in 2008 - more than double their net income.
Bailed out execs give themselves billions in taxpayer welfare bonuses!

• Morgan Stanley, which earned $1.7 billion last year and received $10 billion in bailout funds, handed out $4.475 billion in bonuses, nearly three times their net income.

• JPMorgan Chase, which earned $5.6 billion in 2008 and received $25 billion from the government, paid out $8.69 billion in bonus money.

• Citigroup and Merrill Lynch lost a combined $54 billion last year. They received a total of $55 billion in bailouts and paid out $9 billion in combined bonuses. ($5.33 billion for Citigroup; $3.6 billion for Merrill Lynch, which was subsequently acquired by Bank of America.)

Study: Bank Bonuses Far Exceeded Profits - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 07:26 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Yes , it's disgusting how much these Welfare Queens were rewarded for their terrorist attack on America's economy.....

and

you see how little anyone cares....no response. BUT if you told how you saw some poor person on welfare buy an extra bag of candy n a grocery store OH BOY would people be screaming about their tax dollars!!!

But, see in this country the new religion, the new god is "The Wealthy". They are to be worshipped. No sacrifice is too big if it helps THEM make more money. The Wealthy have so brainwashed some people that they will act against their own well being if it benefits The Wealthy.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Bailed out execs give themselves billions in bonuses - the worst welfare cheats out there!

• Goldman Sachs, which earned $2.3 billion last year and received $10 billion in TARP funding, paid out $4.8 billion in bonuses in 2008 - more than double their net income.

• Morgan Stanley, which earned $1.7 billion last year and received $10 billion in bailout funds, handed out $4.475 billion in bonuses, nearly three times their net income.

• JPMorgan Chase, which earned $5.6 billion in 2008 and received $25 billion from the government, paid out $8.69 billion in bonus money.

• Citigroup and Merrill Lynch lost a combined $54 billion last year. They received a total of $55 billion in bailouts and paid out $9 billion in combined bonuses. ($5.33 billion for Citigroup; $3.6 billion for Merrill Lynch, which was subsequently acquired by Bank of America.)

Ten banks win approval to pay back TARP - Jun. 9, 2009

They want to pay it back they are waiting for the GOVERNMENT to say it is ok. So bonuses are fine by me.

Quote:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Ten leading banks won approval to repay money from the government's controversial TARP program, regulators said Tuesday, which could represent approximately $68 billion in bailout funds returned to taxpayers.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yes , it's disgusting how much these Welfare Queens were rewarded for their terrorist attack on America's economy.....

and

you see how little anyone cares....no response. BUT if you told how you saw some poor person on welfare buy an extra bag of candy n a grocery store OH BOY would people be screaming about their tax dollars!!!

But, see in this country the new religion, the new god is "The Wealthy". They are to be worshipped. No sacrifice is too big if it helps THEM make more money. The Wealthy have so brainwashed some people that they will act against their own well being if it benefits The Wealthy.
And who gave them the blank check? Who gave them the cash with no restrictions? Who released the money to them?
That would be our elected reps.
Yes I detest those greedy scumbags who rewarded themselves so freely with tax dollars. If I had my way we would parade them from town to town buck naked and allow the public to do what they will.
But before we do that should we not consider who gave them the money with no strings attached?
Look at local gov corruption. Awarding contracts to friends and families and yet most ignore such practices. Is even surprising that the higher the gov the greater the mismanagment?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times

How much did they repay, including interest?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I find its always those that are paying little that fripe about those that pay the majority of what those same people get.Thye answer is go out and take risk and become rich too.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:57 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I find its always those that are paying little that fripe about those that pay the majority of what those same people get.Thye answer is go out and take risk and become rich too.
They didn't take any risk, they paid off politicians to "deregulate" their industry, and give them gigantic taxbreaks. They then bled their companies dry destroying the middle class and the economy on their way. That's not Capitalism that's Corporate Fascism

Old 07-30-2009, 08:59 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post

I must be really stupid because I can't for the life of me see how they are allowed to get over on us like this. My Senator, Russ Feingold, voted against the bail out and I am campaigning for him and donating to him. The other WI Senator voted for it and I will never vote for him again. I don't see why every one isn't on the phone to their Senators and Reps screaming about this. The same people who scream bloody murder if a dollar of their money goes to feed a hungry child seem to have no problem with buying these criminals a new yacht. Have people lost their minds?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:05 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Question for the liberals:

For those of you who borrowed money to buy your house, have you gone on vacation since? I mean think about it, the government (via Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac) effectively owns more than half the mortgages in the US. So the government lends you money to buy a home, and you are off taking a vacation? The nerve of you guys. I'm calling my Senator right now and demanding that you cease all vacations on my tax dollars.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:12 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

and

and the right are kicking and screaming about ther top 1-2% getting their Bush tax cuts rolled back to possibly help pay for health care. How many of these high tax bracket people have made their fortunes on the backs of smaller people or by questionable means? Warren Buffett has shown himself to be quite charitable and openly speaks out about unfair tax breaks for the rich. I admire Ted Turner for his involvment with ecological and charitable causes, but how many at the top are more like the Enron bunch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies