Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:55 AM

9,363 posts, read 9,653,376 times

Advertisements

I was looking at a list of recommended cars to buy under this program by Consumer Reports. Out of 48 cars listed, only 7 were from American manufacturers.

I'm sure then entire list will be dominated by foreign cars. So basically, most of the $1 Billion borrowed from China went back out of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:57 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,538,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
People who work hard and have been successful do not have or own clunkers!

What about your dad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Sure I do, my Dad still has his 1977 Chevy pickup truck and its still in near mint condition with only 45k miles on it.
oh.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:57 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,538,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I was looking at a list of recommended cars to buy under this program by Consumer Reports. Out of 48 cars listed, only 7 were from American manufacturers.

I'm sure then entire list will be dominated by foreign cars. So basically, most of the $1 Billion borrowed from China went back out of the US.
Of the 48 how many were from Automobile factories located in the US?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,030,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Not true. I bought my truck last year after the Democratic Congress reinstated the big tax break for buying a heavy SUV used for work.
The hypocrisy of this is astounding. Tax breaks for a "heavy Duty SUV" used for work...meanwhile they scream at us for owning vehicles that emit more emissions and cram Cap and Tax down our throats. And you people wonder why the logical folk consider congressional Democrats scum. Unbelievable.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 07-31-2009 at 09:15 AM..

Old 07-31-2009, 09:11 AM

9,363 posts, read 9,653,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Of the 48 how many were from Automobile factories located in the US?
There were a few, I saw some Hondas on there that are assembled in the US. The profits though head back to Japan. Japanese companies are in much better shape than US companies if you haven't been watching the news.

But I thought the whole point of this bill was to help GM, Ford and Chrysler, plus their dealers.

The way you sound, is that you have no sympathy for the dealers, where at this point of time today, they are concerned they may not get paid back. I realize the WH has issued a statement saying they will get paid though.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:48 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,583,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Just wait till heath care is "free", and people bombard the system with every little ailment, from stubbed toes to your common cold.
Exactly, if something free runs out of $1 billion in 6 days what are 40 million people who do not have medical insurance going to do if everything is free. Even people with insurance will be jamming the system if they don't have supplemental insurance for co-pay. $1 trillion will disappear fast.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Congress is looking to raise the program to $4 Billion. The WH would like to see 1 million cars get off the road. Even though there is only a 4 MPG increase in gas mileage.

Dealers are quite upset, due to all of the advertising spent. The paperwork for the dealer was a nightmare according to some, the program was only 135 pgs. The clunkers need to be disabled on the dealer lot. Some dealers sent the clunkers to a salvage yard, then had to return them to the dealer to disable them. Some dealers are worried they may have to "eat" the $4500 that they already gave to customers.

The program will be increased, possibly by today, since Congress is going on recess today.
Who is going to pay for all this?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:28 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,854,418 times
Quote:

as well, where do you think the crushed up clunker metal is going?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:44 AM

I'm sure, in the following months, there will be more information on scams involving the money. This always happens with government programs, they are never thought through, all that a politician wants is instant voter approval ratings.

Arizona had a program in that you could get up to $10,000 credit on a big car if it was equipped to run on propane. The program almost bankrupted the state; within a few months, most of the recipients of this bonanza had converted to gasoline.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:35 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,854,418 times
i would have been surprised if the government ended cash for clunkers because when have they been against a spending bill? it looks like there is some scrambling going on to reinstate the clunker program:The House raced Friday to pass legislation to inject an additional $2 billion into the "cash for clunkers" program, whose immediate popularity this week threatened to sink the program.

The $2 billion boost would be created by shuffling around funds from the Recovery and Reinvestment Act, an emergency stimulus for the original $1 billion budget for rebates on new cars that lawmakers worried had been exhausted in only a week.

Reps. Sander Levin, D-Mich., and Betty Sutton, D-Ohio, said the House planned to consider the additional funding after lawmakers from the two states were assured by Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood that the program would continue while the Obama administration looked for more money.

Democrats in the House were exploring the possibility of votes as early as Friday to replenish the funding, which the White House said would continue despite concerns. (fox)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies